uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 20 - at Rutgers

uneblinstu

I hope the team maintains a positive attitude throughout the losses. There are at least a couple wins left in them.

Also, good for Rutgers. I know they went to the Final Four back in 70-something, but think about their NCAA drought. Their fans deserve a good thing or two. I mean, they live in Jersey, for dog's sake.

Great effort from this team that is not playing for much. Really disheartening finish, when we had the momentum. 

Yvan, Cheatham, and Burke with tough outings. 

Something is wrong with Cheatham. Went from leading scorer to abysmal in the last five games. 

Cross played poorly in the first half, but really impressed in the second. Better when he doesn’t settle for 3s. Can really pass out of the high post. 

Thor is the proverbial white guy on the other team that we hate. Knocking down ridiculous threes. 

Mulcahey is that white guy on the other team I hate. 

Cam, although it’s not pretty, can shoot the 3. 

Am hoping Green got out of the dog house. Very athletic and disrupted a lot of passes on D. 

Say what you will about hoiberg as a coach, he cannot rock the suit + sneakers look like Miles. 

Edited by LNKtrnsplnt

Watched expecting a blowout. Especially with how physical Rutgers is. 

-Green has earned his PT back and then some. He was everywhere in those final 10 minutes. Attacked the rim, had active hands, and played within his role and excelled at it.

-easley had a good game, got taken advantage of at times by bigger players but that'll happen. Effort was there. Thought that corner 3 was good

-Thor is a flamethrower

-Cross gets better every game. Yvan REALLY needs to work on his finishing. 

-Burke and cheathem both struggled a bit today. Opened up for Green to take advantage

I'll take a 3 point L by a step back 3 over an outstretched hand on jervay green. 

25 minutes ago, jayschool said:

I hope the team maintains a positive attitude throughout the losses. There are at least a couple wins left in them.

Also, good for Rutgers. I know they went to the Final Four back in 70-something, but think about their NCAA drought. Their fans deserve a good thing or two. I mean, they live in Jersey, for dog's sake.

Their season this year reminds me of our 2014 season. Preseason picked at the bottom, not given any respect, owns their games at home, the energy in the program starts reaching levels it hasn't seen in such a long time.

The only difference... we're not even halfway through the conference season and TV analysts are already securing Rutgers a spot in the tournament. It took us moving mountains at the end of the season to crawl our way into the tournament.

Before the season I said I didn’t expect much as far as wins.  All I wanted to see was a team that improves during the season and is a better team at the end, compared to what we started with.  In my opinion I’m seeing that improvement.  Better things are ahead for us, and I’m feeling extremely optimistic that we’ll finally see our first NCAA Tournament win in the near future.

Also, it was nice seeing Green play well.  Hopefully we can see that type of play the rest of the season from him.

6 minutes ago, bkamler said:

I complained that we Ignored Green in our offense the last six possessions even though he was on fire. I was not pleased that Mack did not get him the ball and that our coaches did not seem to communicate that he needed to get touches.

I too was disappointed because they were daring anyone but Mack to beat them.

The team is getting better despite Burke being MIA today.  If we can get everyone playing consistent we might snatch a couple of victories by seasons end.  This year is about development and not wins and losses.  We had a chance, in a tough environment, against a decent team to pull out a W.  I will take that in every game the rest of the way.  

Alright HHCers... I have a conundrum...

After Baker hit the three today, I screamed ahhhh and punched the couch pillow two or three times.  Now my 2 YO is going up to the couch screaming ahhh and hitting it.  My wife said “we’ll talk later.”  I need to know what route to take with this.

A.  “Honey, that’s what being a Nebrasketball fan is and she’s going to have to learn.  Besides, at least I didn’t cuss.”

B.  “I’m sorry, I need to be better.”

C.  What’d you got?

🤷‍♂️😂

16 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

After Baker hit the three today, I screamed ahhhh and punched the couch pillow two or three times.  Now my 2 YO is going up to the couch screaming ahhh and hitting it.  My wife said “we’ll talk later.”  I need to know what route to take with this.

A.  “Honey, that’s what being a Nebrasketball fan is and she’s going to have to learn.  Besides, at least I didn’t cuss.”

C.  What’d you got?

🤷‍♂️😂

You did well to not scream & cuss, given the circumstance. That's all I got.

A lot of good things about this game.  Unfortunately a win was not one of them.

Now fix the little things.  A lay up here, a free throw there.  Finish your shot and get a plus one.  Get fouled on a three and make the free throws...and so on.  

Proud of the effort!

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

C.  What’d you got?

🤷‍♂️😂

I’m going with A. Because let’s be honest...next year when Nebraska is battling it out in close games for a NCAA tournament berth there will be lots of yelling. Hopefully yelling and screaming in celebration! And when we get that NCAA tournament win you’ll have to explain to the kiddo what crying tears of joy means....

4 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

-Burke and cheathem both struggled a bit today. Opened up for Green to take advantage

I think Burke might've been a liitle too jacked to play in front of a bunch of friends & family. Defintely seemed to be doing too much at times.

Cheatham has been in a funk for the last 2 - 3 weeks, not sure what it is, but hopefully he figure it out.

Also, this was the first team Nebraska has played twice under Hoiberg.  If you don’t think we have a great coach based on the difference in game planning and execution, you’re insane.  There were so many beautiful basketball plays drawn up that we just didn’t quite have the talent to fully execute, but my goodness did we ever compete.  

Next year is going to be the most fun I’ve ever had watching basketball.  

56 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think if Cross had 25 minutes and Yvan had 17, we win.  Instead it was the other way around partly because of foul trouble.  I really don’t see why Cross isn’t the bonafide starter at this point.  

So, I'm not saying that it isn't worth a shot.  However, there are some things that would hold me back on Cross starting as well.  

1.  Cross tends to play Ole defense at times and then no defense at all during other spurts.  He does seem to try and get his nose dirty on rebounds at times, however.

2.  When Cross is off on O... he is OFF.  That tends to affect other areas.  Now, Yuv isn't no offensive guru either, but at least he doesn't shoot it AS much.  Granted, he TO's a lot more than Cross.

3.  I don't know how much Cross would be able to wear on an opposing big man to start the way that Yuv probably does. 

Basically, it's a toss up.  I'd be ok with trying it for a game or two, but I don't think that it'll make much of a difference either way.