A bit of good news

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Christopher Heady
@heady_chris

Fred Hoiberg says the lineup of Dalano Banton, Derrick Walker, Shamiel Stevenson, Brett Porter and Jace Piatkowski run scout team and those 5 beat the eligible Huskers “quite a bit.”

Hoiberg also said Banton understands the game as well as anyone he’s been around.

Sounds very familiar to a story that I’ve heard multiple times about a certain scout team back in 1989-1990, with a guy by the name of Eric Piatkowski , that used to stick it to the starters on a consistent basis.

Edited by REDZONEDAN

8 hours ago, royalfan said:

Not surprising to me as I suspect that Banton is the best player on our roster by quite a lot. 

Interesting. Based on the below excerpt from his bio, I would not have guessed this. Did he underperform at WKU?

Dalano Banton (pronounced duh-LAH-no BAN-ten) played 31 games at Western Kentucky in 2018-19, averaging 3.4 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game.

49 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Interesting. Based on the below excerpt from his bio, I would not have guessed this. Did he underperform at WKU?

Dalano Banton (pronounced duh-LAH-no BAN-ten) played 31 games at Western Kentucky in 2018-19, averaging 3.4 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game.

Palmer was only averaging like 4 points a game at Miami before he came here. I believe that Banton is our best player on this roster as of now and has the most NBA potential due to his frame. 

In regards to practice........I remember when Nick Bahe would say on the radio, and on his podcast as well, that sit out transfers and redshirt players always seem to perform well at practice because you have no assignments other than recreating players of another team. You don't have to remember anything defensively. You don't need to worry about schematics. Just go out there and ball and give a good look for the starters. Basically what I'm saying is, much like football, I'm trying to avoid all reports from the media and just let my eyes do the evaluating haha. 

23 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

Palmer was only averaging like 4 points a game at Miami before he came here. I believe that Banton is our best player on this roster as of now and has the most NBA potential due to his frame. 

In regards to practice........I remember when Nick Bahe would say on the radio, and on his podcast as well, that sit out transfers and redshirt players always seem to perform well at practice because you have no assignments other than recreating players of another team. You don't have to remember anything defensively. You don't need to worry about schematics. Just go out there and ball and give a good look for the starters. Basically what I'm saying is, much like football, I'm trying to avoid all reports from the media and just let my eyes do the evaluating haha. 

I'd add that Banton's averages (in 15 minutes a game) were for a Western Kentucky team ranked 116th in KenPom, so the competition for playing time wasn't that great.  Palmer's meager stats (11 minutes) were for a Miami team that was 15th.

So yes, the best idea is to ignore the media and rely on our own "expertise." 🙄

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

This one is pretty easy.

Rick Stansbury rarely plays guys on his bench.  At the beginning of the season their starting senior PG Lamonte Bearden was ineligible for the first semester (no idea why) and Banton got decent playing time and eventually became the starting PG.  Bearden came back and once he became the starting PG he rarely came off the court.  Thus, those per game averages included a lot of games where Banton played under 10 minutes and a few just a couple of minutes. Bearden was the more consistent player last year so it made a lot of sense for Banton to not play much and this worked out to our benefit.

The other thing that Stansbury is doing at W. Kentucky is that it appears from the numbers he running more of a Miles type offense where guys are dribble-driving into the lane (No idea what they actually run but they don't generate a ton of assists and have a lot of guys getting to the FT line).  A lot of the complements about Banton from Hoiberg involve him picking up our offense quickly and scoring easy buckets because of it. I guess think of the sort of jump Thor made in this offense and then project that onto a 6'8" PG.  It would seem natural to expect Banton to be more consistent with a couple of years under his belt and our offense probably would relieve some of the turnover problems he had at W. Kentucky. Really the only question mark is his outside shot, which is the difference between him being a very good player and an elite player for us.

6 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

It is just a strong hunch on my part.  Being such a smart numbers based guy, I can certainly understand the hesitation in believing in until you see it.  By strong hunch, I mean I have a strong feeling.  Not a declaration that my hunch is strong and correct.  

Edited by royalfan

23 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Christopher Heady
@heady_chris

Fred Hoiberg says the lineup of Dalano Banton, Derrick Walker, Shamiel Stevenson, Brett Porter and Jace Piatkowski run scout team and those 5 beat the eligible Huskers “quite a bit.”

Hoiberg also said Banton understands the game as well as anyone he’s been around.

I saw "good news" and expected to see this, sorry...

13 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

A comparison of notable players' freshman seasons:

Season School Conf G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2011-12 Texas Tech Big 12 28 11 368 32 87 0.368 20 47 0.426 12 40 0.3 12 26 0.462 13 44 57 20 6 5 35 45 88
2014-15 Miami (FL) ACC 38 5 504 52 126 0.413 29 63 0.46 23 63 0.365 15 23 0.652 14 40 54 25 5 9 28 28 142
2016-17 Nebraska Big Ten 30 4 457 37 94 0.394 33 74 0.446 4 20 0.2 16 21 0.762 36 52 88 22 16 25 36 58 94
2018-19 Western Kentucky CUSA 31 12 469 39 97 0.402 31 60 0.517 8 37 0.216 19 34 0.559 16 76 92 65 14 16 52 27 105

There was one other time that we redshirted a Piatkowski.

That year the team tied the school record for most losses in a season.

The only good news generated that year was the rumor that the scout team, full of redshirts, was consistently beating the starters.

The next year it turned out that this was all a bunch of hype.  The next year they won a school record number of games.

After a life time of rose colored hope, I refuse to buy into media and left field hype.  I look to the future with hope but NOT hype. 

So, I am encouraged by what I see from the coaching staff, but I am wait and see regarding the execution and/or performance and/or results on the floor.

14 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

There was one other time that we redshirted a Piatkowski.

That year the team tied the school record for most losses in a season.

The only good news generated that year was the rumor that the scout team, full of redshirts, was consistently beating the starters.

The next year it turned out that this was all a bunch of hype.  The next year they won a school record number of games.

Beau Reid returned from his knee injury, we added Tony Farmer, Hayse & Owens were a year older & we STILL had Scales & King.... That team was good enough to cut down the nets, they just didn't know how "good" they were!