6 Reasons Fred Hoiberg Is A Great FLOOR Coach

hhcdave

Fred is The Mayor, after all. 😉 I will attest: He can do it all, I saw it with my own two eyes when I took my son to his basketball camp last summer, and will so again this upcoming summer; Fred recalled small instances of games that he himself played in at ISU over 25 years ago, believe me, I went back & double-checked his memory with game stories from the era. I was thoroughly impressed from Day One. Nebraska is very, very, very fortunate to have the coaching staff they have now, and I'd contend that is also the case for basically all of Husker athletics right now. GBR !!!

7 hours ago, hhcdave said:

3. WILLINGNESS/LACK OF STUBBORNNESS TO MIX UP DEFENSES AND EVEN PLAY (GASP) A LOT OF ZONE

We haven't had a coach willing to play semi consistent zone since...... well I go back to Danny Nee and I don't remember it (outside of some of Danny's teams). I don't believe Doc ever did much when he was here - ditto on Miles (outside of small stretches). Same with Barry. I can't tell you how many times I yelled at the TV "switch out of the damn man" and my good friend Dustin who also watches every game would say, "He doesn't believe in it. We don't play zone." Hoiberg has shown that he will adapt defenses based on opponent and game situation MUCH MORE than any of our coaches throughout the last 25 years. He has his team prepared for EVERYTHING.

I'm 100% with you on this. This macho BS about playing man gets to me. Changing defenses out of a timeout counters everything the opposing coach just got done telling his team. Changing defenses can flip the mindset of your own team. Changing defenses can unsettle an opponent that's getting too comfortable scoring. 

You don't have to sit in a 2-3, there are other zones that opponents aren't used to seeing. There's a zone press and half-court trap. But to just sit there and say "we play man" when you're getting torched is ridiculous. 

I agree with most of your points but I believe you’re selling Miles short on two. One of Miles’ ‘Hallmark’ moves was implementing zone, to decent success, to turn games around. Maybe not last year as much but two to three years ago he used it frequently. Also I think hoiberg wasn’t the only one who believed in Thor, I mean, Tim brought him here!

Edited by LNKtrnsplnt

Post of the year.  I agree and have said as much—there are new philosophical pieces being installed each game, and they’re all going to pay huge dividends when the help arrives...  and I’ve never seen them before.  The fact that our transfers are getting the same high level coaching all year means we should hit the ground running next year.  

I don’t know if we’ll be much better in the half court next year, but having three versatile 6’8” guys on the roster will produce more turnovers on the defensive end and, just as important, more rebounds.  What we do in transition offensively is already scary this season.  Next season we’ll be running like hell because we’ll actually get the majority of defensive rebounds. 

Fred could’ve elected to play Doc ball and hold it on offense to keep games close, but he’s elected to install everything he possibly could this year, and more power to him.  My hot take is that Fred is the hire of the decade in college basketball.  

11 hours ago, hhcdave said:

Fred is a freaking winner. He's all class. He's a name. He's a recruiter. He's a "wow" factor.

But let's not forget he's a HELL. OF. A. FLOOR. COACH.

Very, very, very well said.  Your points are exactly why we have to judge and evaluate this season differently than wins and losses.  Fred is building a culture, installing his systems, and is in his infancy of recruiting the players he needs to really get this thing going.  Let's not freak out if we lose 20+ games or the results are wildly inconsistent, even from one half to the next.  This is part of the process and I am super excited to see this thing built up over the next few years.

And, if Fred can't get it done....I'll buy everyone a lifetime supply of Nyquil so we can all enjoy future basketball seasons in a fog induced haze and oblivious to the fact that Ernie Kent is coaching our team.

Nice post. I agree on most of those but Miles played a lot of 1-3-1 the last few years.

i also love the Fred manages our fouls. We rarely give away fouls early to stay out of the bonus which I think kills you a lot. Probably since he is big on analytics. Also along with clock management he likes to get 2 for 1 possessions when possible which I have wanted forever. One more thing I like is his sub patterns especially the bigs. He seems to see match ups and momentum when subbing. A lot of coaches have a regular pattern they don’t deviate from unless they are in foul trouble or something. 

I rarely post and love all of the insights on this board, and I have to say I couldn't agree more with you, Dave. I was just telling my boys that while the wins and losses may be historically bad this season that I know the Huskers will be good. Why? Because Fred's offense gets open looks or easy baskets so often. This isn't hero ball. This is excellent basketball with equally good adjustments in-game and excellent out of time outs, out-of-bounds, etc. When the players and perhaps experience and understanding match the offense, look out! Good days for Nebrasketball are coming my friends! 

9 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

You're right... Nebraska basketball does lead people to drink.

Fever nailed it.   Been a huge Husker fan since I was 6 years old, went to my first game on my 8th birthday, and now I'm almost social security eligible.    And I like to pull a cork.  No doubt its Husker hoops.

Or, it could just be my hometown.  Hard to say.

If you can't see Freddy & Company's greatness as a bench coaching staff during a game, then you're not paying attention. This rag-tag team has competed HARD in nearly every single game, and will do so again tonight. He coaches circles around his predecessor (sans Craig Smith). And I liked Miles for what he was. I just happen to prefer Hoiberg. And so did Bill Moos. It's all good in the neighborhood -- next season ought to be a lot of fun ! And the remainder of this year will still be a wild ride, even if the results aren't so great. GBR !!!