Setting Records

Nebraska basketball has never lost 20+ games in a season. Looking at the rest of the season we get maybe...2 more wins? It looks like this will surely be our first 20+ loss season. 

But, I’m also confident that this staff will be the one to get our no NCAA tournament wins off our back assuming Hoiberg stays long enough. We don’t have the horses right now but I’m looking forward to seeing what this staff can do with the incoming recruits + transfers along side the underclassmen on this team.   

I will also throw out I was wrong on Cam Mack. Earlier in the year I posted I was afraid he had a bit of “Maurice Washington” in him. Since then he has been nothing but great on the court in terms of body language and play.  Can’t really remember a Husker more exciting than him with a ball in his hands. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

It is going to be a tough road.  I look at the talent, strength and athleticism of the teams in this league and I shake my head.  We need to recruit and develop a lot over the next few years to catch up.

Cam is a good start.  If Yvan and Kevin can evolve/develop/build strength that will help.  

Goodness, it just seems to be a constant up hill battle. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

15 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

It is going to be a tough road.  I look at the talent, strength and athleticism of the teams in this league and I shake my head.  We need to recruit and develop a lot over the next few years to catch up.

Cam is a good start.  If Yvan and Kevin can evolve/develop/build strength that will help.  

Goodness, it just seems to be a constant up hill battle. 

Assuming they can get Cross and Yvan to work hard over the offseason on their game and get Cross to change his body at the very least we will have a team that looks like it belongs in regards to the eye ball test. All 3 transfers are long and athletic. 

This years team from a physical standpoint doesn’t look like it belongs in the Big Ten but that’s not surprising considering we essentially started from scratch the moment Miles was fired

8 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Nebraska basketball has never lost 20+ games in a season. Looking at the rest of the season we get maybe...2 more wins? It looks like this will surely be our first 20+ loss season. 

But, I’m also confident that this staff will be the one to get our no NCAA tournament wins off our back assuming Hoiberg stays long enough. We don’t have the horses right now but I’m looking forward to seeing what this staff can do with the incoming recruits + transfers along side the underclassmen on this team.   

I will also throw out I was wrong on Cam Mack. Earlier in the year I posted I was afraid he had a bit of “Maurice Washington” in him. Since then he has been nothing but great on the court in terms of body language and play.  Can’t really remember a Husker more exciting than him with a ball in his hands. 

Cam Mack is in a class with Ty Lue as far as excellence & excitement as an NU point guard. He's brilliant passing the ball & eluding defensive pressure.

Speaking of setting records...maybe I misread something, but didn't we have three other players join the 1000 point club prior to the last game?  Was it because there were three players instead of one that they weren't acknowledged prior to the game.  I'm not going to bring up the fact that this would have been a prime opportunity for a certain member of the Athletic Department to set foot on the court and acknowledge the players.  I'm also kind of curious as to why the new President wasn't at least given a husker welcome...or are they saving that for the start of the football season.  They used to show TO on the screen occasionally.  Does he still make it to the games (this one is more out of a curiosity as my new seats don't give me the view of the section he sat in like the ones I used to have.? 

I guess who really cares if we lose 20+ games this year. In my opinion, it doesn't really change the narrative or future of the program.  Hoiberg is in year 1 and to steal a phrase from PJ Fleck in Minnesota, we should really treat this as Year 0.  When you're given a month to field a team,  the lack of results shouldn't be surprising.  I'm more encouraged by some of the performances we've seen against the likes of Iowa and Purdue knowing that these will be the exception this year and not the rule as we we will be very inconsistent all year.  But, you can see an identity at times forming and its just going to take more dudes and time for this to completely come together.  This is a process (when is it not for Nebrasketball!) and we're building towards year 2 and especially year 3.

What's fascinating is that if you look at Lunardi's recent bracketology he has 11 BIG teams in the field and 1 more (Minnesota) as the first team out of the field.  This is utterly astounding and is a good year to be rebuilding.  I look forward and hope we can give our conference bubble teams a "bad loss" down the stretch.  The conference certainly did us no favors a few years back when we were relegated to the NIT a after winning 22 games so hopefully we can pay it forward this year to a team or two!

23 minutes ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I guess who really cares if we lose 20+ games this year.

I do. Every time I see the Husker basketball account tweet out #ReDefine as part of whatever off-season group building activity they did I think about how we're going to redefine losing.

22 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

I do. Every time I see the Husker basketball account tweet out #ReDefine as part of whatever off-season group building activity they did I think about how we're going to redefine losing.

Thankfully, the football program has been preparing us for this.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Ha, well that seems like a prisoner of the moment mentality and I agree the losing wears on the patience of a fan base that has been told to be patient since the beginning of time.  Hopefully, they continue to redefine the culture, attitudes and the commitment needed in doing what it takes to get this program over one of the tallest humps in college basketball.  I don't think many people established expectations at the beginning of the year that this would be a tournament team or even a very good team for that matter.  The losing sucks but it isn't unexpected.  I think we are going to have to measure progress this year based on the eye test and if this team is more competitive and perhaps a little more consistent in March than it was from November - January.  That doesn't necessarily mean that results will be tangible in the form of more wins.  It's more about buy in and setting the foundation for years 2 and 3 in my opinion.

And, if we win a tournament game or two in year 3 or 4 or 5, will this 20+ loss season really matter in the grand scheme of things?  That's the perspective I'm trying to have when I watch some downright awful basketball at times this year.  I always try to keep the glass half full with whiskey or something stronger this season!!!

This program hasn't won an outright regular season conference championship in over 100 years.  Maybe a 20 loss season or two would have helped this program over the last century.

Baylor went 0-17 in the 1944-45 season.  The next year they went 25-5 and made it to a regional semifinal.   The HUH (Huskers Under Hoiberg) will be just fine.