Nebraska (13-3) vs. Maryland (12-4) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

53 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

It has been discussed here on this board about Brown either starting or seeing more court time. IMHO she needs to be around 30-32 minutes a game. We need her on the floor. Our threes kept it from getting out of hand early. Leigha is capable of doing so many good things for us for her to be around the 24-25 minute range does not help us. We got back into the game in the third because of her play. Also Bourne is really coming into her own. As our most gifted 4-5 we need her on the court more as well. 

IMO, Brown is at her best, when fresh. As she tires, her defense becomes a step or two slow.  She's not alone.  We had several players get that many minutes last night, and their defense hit a wall. I don't care if Leigha starts, or plays a few more minutes, but too many minutes could be counter productive in my mind.  Luckily, Maryland is a different animal than most of the teams on our schedule. Our record isn't bad. Not sure what everyone's expectations were, but we are still on the path to a successful season, and the possibility of dancing is still there.  

GBR

11 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

IMO, Brown is at her best, when fresh. As she tires, her defense becomes a step or two slow.  She's not alone.  We had several players get that many minutes last night, and their defense hit a wall. I don't care if Leigha starts, or plays a few more minutes, but too many minutes could be counter productive in my mind.  Luckily, Maryland is a different animal than most of the teams on our schedule. Our record isn't bad. Not sure what everyone's expectations were, but we are still on the path to a successful season, and the possibility of dancing is still there.  

GBR

My guess is some fan's expectations in the 4th year are to have the program at a place where there is more than a "possibility of dancing".   We were a program that was solidly in the tournament almost every year, before Eichorst did his thing.   This wasn't the men's program; there is a history of much greater success.    We can still make the tournament; hopefully we will.  But if there are some folks  who think it isn't shooting high enough to have a record that "isn't bad", with a "possibility of dancing", I don't think they can be categorized as a just a bunch of complainers.    We need to up our game, particularly with recruiting. 

When we are playing from behind you have to work that much harder to get back into the game. We need a quicker start against the likes of Maryland. We got that to start the game last night but I think Williams went too long before bringing in Brown, and Bourne. Then they went on a 12-0 run and it was all uphill at that point. I get that we had tired legs toward the middle of the fourth. I expected that. 

What i think a lot of you guys are forgetting is that we have not had the same talent level the last few years that we had in the 2009-14 era.  The super great teams have a potential wnba kid, and other potential overseas professionals.   Our great teams had a Griffin, Hooper, or Moore, plus oversees level talent like theriot, Luadermill, cady etc. That pattern continued with Shepard being a wnba level kid but obviously that situation was unique and blew up.  I have no interest in rehashing how or why that happened; but both the old and new staffs had a difficult time getting her to buy in so i don't think we can blame either one for it.  However, we have not had any overseas professional level talent in the upper classes for several years either.  Kate has a chance to be that level, and probably Nicea does physically also.   But without a wnba level kid with them its hard to be a 23-25 regular season win team.  What this staff has done with the talent level we have had has been a very good job.  Making the ncaa tourney 2 years ago with that weak of a roster was incredible coaching actually.  This years team is the best we have had in a while because we have several freshman and soph who have the potential to be overseas professionals, but we still don't have that great wnba type kid to go with them.   We are more talented than we have been since the 2014-15 season and we are winning more because of it.  We just had the hardest 2 game road swing of the year, and we didn't play great and lost.   We need to play well the rest of the way and i think we will.  Trust me the staff is recruiting their butts off and they are great.  I see them in the gym everywhere watching high level kids.  They are going overseas looking also. Yes they have had a couple near misses with good quality kids in the last 12 months, but i would rather them be in on top kids and miss sometimes than be chasing kids that aren't as talented.  We have a nice team and a great staff.  Enjoy it.

Edited by kansashusker

There are several disappointing elements to both the loss to Rutgers and Maryland which largely relate to the coaching of the team.  There does not to appear to be any offensive strategy to the games other than passing the ball around until there is an open 3 point shot to be taken, sometimes just before the 30 second clock runs out..  Luckily we have been relatively good at that.  One would thing after not getting Cain involved on the Rutgers game on offense, a better change to the offense would have occurred to do that.  Limited screens are being used to get players a shot off.  Brown is driving the lane to try to get shots plus get fouled, and Haiby needs to do more of that and likely Eiley.  Williams and the other coaches should have prepared the team better against the street mugging defense of Rutgers and Maryland to help reduce turnovers. Our  defense left too many open shots for Maryland which they made at a high level.  Williams does not at times effectively use her time outs.  In the first quarter of the Maryland game, she waited to call time out with 50 seconds left in the quarter after Maryland had gotten the score to 24 to 14!  Meanwhile she had 3 timeouts left which she never used the rest of the game!!!!  Some of the folks above noted some of the NE payers were tired later in the game.  Why not use a timeout or two to get them a break if you are not subbing and refresh them as well as discuss strategy!!!  To me, these two losses are more on the coaches than the team!  One positive is the rebounding efforts in the last 2 games.

15 minutes ago, Redhac said:

There are several disappointing elements to both the loss to Rutgers and Maryland which largely relate to the coaching of the team.  There does not to appear to be any offensive strategy to the games other than passing the ball around until there is an open 3 point shot to be taken, sometimes just before the 30 second clock runs out..  Luckily we have been relatively good at that.  One would thing after not getting Cain involved on the Rutgers game on offense, a better change to the offense would have occurred to do that.  Limited screens are being used to get players a shot off.  Brown is driving the lane to try to get shots plus get fouled, and Haiby needs to do more of that and likely Eiley.  Williams and the other coaches should have prepared the team better against the street mugging defense of Rutgers and Maryland to help reduce turnovers. Our  defense left too many open shots for Maryland which they made at a high level.  Williams does not at times effectively use her time outs.  In the first quarter of the Maryland game, she waited to call time out with 50 seconds left in the quarter after Maryland had gotten the score to 24 to 14!  Meanwhile she had 3 timeouts left which she never used the rest of the game!!!!  Some of the folks above noted some of the NE payers were tired later in the game.  Why not use a timeout or two to get them a break if you are not subbing and refresh them as well as discuss strategy!!!  To me, these two losses are more on the coaches than the team!  One positive is the rebounding efforts in the last 2 games.

UH NO!!! Just better players.