uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 16 - @ Northwestern

uneblinstu

Coaches, players, etc should be furious.  That team might only win one more game... against us... that was ridiculous.

I don’t care how close we got, a loss is a loss and we were down what 15 or 18 at one point?

Boy when we’re cold, our D goes out the window.

Bad day for Thor and Cheatham.

Rest of team was ok.  Lot of bad... some good.

I can’t stand how inconsistent this team is.

I'm just enjoying this ride. Still 2-3 in conference with a lot of games left. It's hard to win on the road in the big ten. Only 5 teams have done that so far. Kinda expected it 

One thing stood out to me though. Cam was in a serious funk in the 1st half, and the offense struggled because of it. When he's not playing well, the offense struggles. 

Gonna be a roller coaster guys. Buckle in. 

20 minutes ago, khoock said:

Aside from a few posters, the board is holding up well! Im glad to see it. This is what this season is going to be!!! Get used to it and enjoy the bright spots (like shitting an Io_a)

Agreed.   I can't tell if I expect us to be better next year or it's just blind hope. 

But I pray this is the last year of the nebrasketball moto: there's always next year.

Lost this game on defense.  We gave up 42 points in the first half to a depleted Northwestern squad that hasn’t been able to score all year.  

I can handle us being bad.  I can handle us being erratic and inconsistent.  We have all new guys who haven’t played together, or in a Power 5 conference.  That’s  to be expected.  It would be strange NOT to be inconsistent under the circumstances.

But I can’t handle piss poor effort.  Which is what we got today.   Watch the film, especially the first half, and see the lackadaisical close outs on the 3s.   Token 

waving of the arms like damn ballerinas.   Matador flat-footed defense on some  drives.  Passivity all over the place.   Just a pathetic, disgraceful effort on defense the first half.  

I thought Northwestern was about as talented as we were.  I didn’t think the first and second halves were much different other than NW shot at their normal rate in the second half when we beat them by 10.  They couldn’t miss in the first. Our defense wasn’t great, but it was a similar game plan to Iowa. If Iowa would’ve shot 50% from 3, we’re down by 15 at least at half to them as well.  

It seems we’re going to take our lumps with our opponents shooting threes this year, and fair enough.  

I also think it’s a little ridiculous Jervay can’t spell Cam for a couple minutes a game.  They’re running him into the ground.  

There is no such thing as an average shooting night for Burke is there?  He is strictly brilliant or abysmal.  

38 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I thought Northwestern was about as talented as we were.  I didn’t think the first and second halves were much different other than NW shot at their normal rate in the second half when we beat them by 10.  They couldn’t miss in the first. Our defense wasn’t great, but it was a similar game plan to Iowa. If Iowa would’ve shot 50% from 3, we’re down by 15 at least at half to them as well.  

It seems we’re going to take our lumps with our opponents shooting threes this year, and fair enough.  

I also think it’s a little ridiculous Jervay can’t spell Cam for a couple minutes a game.  They’re running him into the ground.  

There is no such thing as an average shooting night for Burke is there?  He is strictly brilliant or abysmal.  

Why would we have the same defensive game plan against NW as Iowa?   NW didn’t have Garza.   Iowa was a game plan.  Today was a lack of effort.  Contest the damn 3s.   We went half-heartedly  through the screens and waived our arms a little.  

9 minutes ago, HB said:

Why would we have the same defensive game plan against NW as Iowa?   NW didn’t have Garza.   Iowa was a game plan.  Today was a lack of effort.  Contest the damn 3s.   We went half-heartedly  through the screens and waived our arms a little.  

They rolled out a pretty huge lineup.  I guess I didn’t see that bad of an effort as much as I saw pretty well designed plays and guys who were tall enough to get their shot.  If we were playing percentages, those were the shots we wanted them to take.  I would’ve like to see our bigs hedge out of those screens a bit more, but the second half looked basically the same to me, and they shot like they normally do in the 2nd.  Not doubting what you observed though.  

Loved the effort to make it close.  Had they played with half that much fire in the first half this is a win buy a nice margin.  Fred and crew need to find the right button to get these guys to not come out lifeless in the first half on road games.

Not defending the 3 pt line early on killed us.

4 hours ago, HB said:

Lost this game on defense.  We gave up 42 points in the first half to a depleted Northwestern squad that hasn’t been able to score all year.  

I can handle us being bad.  I can handle us being erratic and inconsistent.  We have all new guys who haven’t played together, or in a Power 5 conference.  That’s  to be expected.  It would be strange NOT to be inconsistent under the circumstances.

But I can’t handle piss poor effort.  Which is what we got today.   Watch the film, especially the first half, and see the lackadaisical close outs on the 3s.   Token 

waving of the arms like damn ballerinas.   Matador flat-footed defense on some  drives.  Passivity all over the place.   Just a pathetic, disgraceful effort on defense the first half.  

Ughh. That's my response to that 1st half by our NU.

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

Loved the effort to make it close.  Had they played with half that much fire in the first half this is a win buy a nice margin.  Fred and crew need to find the right button to get these guys to not come out lifeless in the first half on road games.

Not defending the 3 pt line early on killed us.

Yep. The comeback was nice, but that 16-1 run in the 1st half by the other NU was simply unacceptable by our NU.

I don't understand the complete abandonment of Green. I admit I know very little compared to Coach but it still seems odd. If this lack of playing time continues I don't expect to see him on the roster next season. Perhaps that is what the staff is doing in order to get a better player? I'm always interested in roster upgrades.