To enhance viewing of this year's games....

jimmykc

… tape them and use fast forward when necessary to avoid stress. That way the dud games can go by quite pleasantly without using an expensive bottle of Nyquil, and the good ones can provide many replay highlights. With that in mind, I plan to attend a matinee of "1917" this afternoon with two sons and a grandson and watch the game at my leisure. I'll let you know how I like the movie. 

To waste a little more time before the day unfolds, I will list my top 5 war movies to see if 1917  measures up: 1. Saving Private Ryan-enough said. 2. Das Boot-best seen with subtitles 3. Apocalypse Now- the horror, the horror...(an applicable phrase for many NU games I have seen) 4. Battleground- this movie about the Battle of the Bulge, King Kong, and Trader Horn were the only three movies my dad ever recommended I see 5. From Here to Eternity- although not a true "war movie" I couldn't leave a movie with Burt Lancaster and Ernie Borgnine off the list. 

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Here’s a few others that deserve consideration:

Patton

Breaker Morant

Full Metal Jacket

Glory

Excellent choice on Breaker Morant. Excellent. Love that movie.

Nobody has mentioned "Midway" yet. "Platoon." "We Were Soldiers." "Hurt Locker." "American Sniper." "Heartbreak Ridge."

Back when I was in the Army, we loved quoting "Heartbreak Ridge": "This is the AK-47 assault rifle. It's the preferred weapon of our enemy. It makes a distinctive sound when fired at you." Boy wasn't that the truth.

Edited by Norm Peterson

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Excellent choice on Breaker Morant. Excellent. Love that movie.

Nobody has mentioned "Midway" yet. "Platoon." "We Were Soldiers." "Hurt Locker." "American Sniper." "Heartbreak Ridge."

Back when I was in the Army, we loved quoting "Heartbreak Ridge": "This is the AK-47 assault rifle. It's the preferred weapon of our enemy. It makes a distinctive sound when fired at you." Boy wasn't that the truth.

Thanks for your service.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:41 AM, jimmykc said:

… tape them and use fast forward when necessary to avoid stress. That way the dud games can go by quite pleasantly without using an expensive bottle of Nyquil, and the good ones can provide many replay highlights. With that in mind, I plan to attend a matinee of "1917" this afternoon with two sons and a grandson and watch the game at my leisure. I'll let you know how I like the movie. 

Man how I wish I would have taken this advice yesterday.  A wise man once said.....

On 1/11/2020 at 10:41 AM, jimmykc said:

I used this strategy during the dark days of last season and highly recommend it. For me, part of stress in watching the game is related to anticipating the negativity that follows a loss. 

As for a war movie, I highly recommend They Shall Not Grow Old, Peter Jackson's documentary restoration of WWI films. You've never seen anything like it. Check out the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcgceA64aAI

I think it's currently on Amazon Prime. 

Braveheart is my favorite movie, hard stop.  So if it counts as a war movie, then that's my tops.

Also, South Pacific is a great musical that happens to also be a war movie.  Schindler's List is quite the tearjerker, and one that I can only watch about once per decade but it is so well done.

12 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

“Hearts of Darkness” the making of Apocalypse Now by Coppola’s wife is JUST as good as the film itself... Dennis Hopper, Brando & Sheen we’re completely out of their trees in real time during the production.

I had heard about the off-camera antics, but was not aware of a documentary film showing it all.  Will look this up, thank you!

Some of the 50's, 60's, and 70's war movies may be low in special effects and production value, but A Bridge Too Far and The Bridge over River Kwai have always been favorites of mine