Jervay Green

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Cochran on the ticket today thought that Green wasn't a good style fit

In truth he’s right. His style fits in more with what Miles did offensively with an iso style game. He’d fit in with the Palmer and Petteway offense but not so much in the Hoiberg flow of the game. It’s amazing the difference in stats for guys like Burke and Cam with him in the lineup vs. when he’s doesn’t play. 

23 hours ago, jimmykc said:

It seems like Green has become a latter day version on Sec Henry who was never able to really connect with the fans despite having a pretty good skill set. Hopefully Jervay and Kavas will be able to adjust and contribute as time passes because it is naïve to believe this seven man rotation will survive through the grind of the league season with anything left physically or mentally by the end of the year. 

I will NEVER forget Sek's senior night.  Toward the end of the game there were two guys mid way up in the crowd along a baseline holding up a big sign:

|                                                           |

|      THANKS SEK...    |

|             ... for nothing                      |

|________________________________ |

I laughed pretty hard... but come on guys, he gets it enough from Doc - he doesn't need to get it from the crowd too!

1 hour ago, Mr. Red said:

I will NEVER forget Sek's senior night.  Toward the end of the game there were two guys mid way up in the crowd along a baseline holding up a big sign:

I laughed pretty hard... but come on guys, he gets it enough from Doc - he doesn't need to get it from the crowd too!

Am I the only one who liked Sek? 

35 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

Sek was one of my favorite players on that team, and I will also never forget this moment. Maybe I'm too uptight, but I was enraged at this sign. If I was closer to those two, I definitely would have told them to have some respect for someone who had just given four years of hard work.

Yeah seriously f*** that sign.  

23 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I've said this before, I can see why maybe he and Cam don't see eye to eye, because both dudes came from a JUCO where each of 'em were THE MAN. And I don't see a situation where Cam is not the dude at NU...  and Jervay perhaps had not (as of yet) come to grips with his lack of "the-man'"-ness at Nebraska, so to speak. 

Think you hit the nail on the head. Jervay is having to deal with not being "the man." My observation is that Jervay sometimes predetermines that he is going to "get his" when he hasn't touched the ball for a few possessions. Forcing it, rather than reacting to the situation before you, leads to bad shots, turnovers and wasted possessions. As the season progresses, we'll need him to step up at some point in time. With his athletic ability, he could be a good defender, but there have been a number of times when he plays D for 20 seconds and then goes matador. Thing is, if he changes his mindset and commits to playing tough defense and rebounding, he could see some extended playing time and his offensive struggles might work themselves out. Hope he resolves to committing to giving 100% to what the coaches are asking of him and that he becomes a productive member of the rotation. 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, Mr. Red said:

I know it was mean but still funny.  More cause of the fact that someone put it on the big screen at the Bob.  Still cant believe someone got away with that.

On 1/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, HuskerActuary said:

Sek was one of my favorite players on that team, and I will also never forget this moment. Maybe I'm too uptight, but I was enraged at this sign. If I was closer to those two, I definitely would have told them to have some respect for someone who had just given four years of hard work.

To clarify: I laughed at the sheer stupidity of making a sign just to deride a player on his senior night.

I too was a Sek fan.  I could be wrong but it seemed to me that he always gave it 100% and sometimes things just didn't click.  I really respect him sticking around and working through a difficult situation (offensive game not flowing, coach crawling up your a** everyday, etc.)  and becoming a very good player for us.

I wonder if Jervay can persevere through this difficult time, but unfortunately we know that 1-3 people (based on NCAA D1 averages- NO SPECULATION HERE) that are currently wearing Husker uniforms will transfer out after this season.

I for one hope he gets every opportunity to grow and blossom and make the best decision for himself

Edited by Mr. Red

Great post, Mr. Red. I'm curious which players you think might not return. I have heard rumors Throbjarnarson  might graduate and leave to play pro ball overseas. Of the others I think Arop will likely depart for a school where he plays a more prominent role. Who does that leave who likely won't see much playing time? Strangely if Green doesn't play again I don't see him staying although he would have to sit out a year (right?)

19 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Great post, Mr. Red. I'm curious which players you think might not return. I have heard rumors Throbjarnarson  might graduate and leave to play pro ball overseas. Of the others I think Arop will likely depart for a school where he plays a more prominent role. Who does that leave who likely won't see much playing time? Strangely if Green doesn't play again I don't see him staying although he would have to sit out a year (right?)

PM's might be a good place for you two discuss this.

And he probably is saying 1-3 will transfer bc thats about how many transfer every year... from almost every school. Its inevitable.

22 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I apologize for the misleading post.  I have absolutely ZERO insider info or connection to the program in any way. 

I said we "know" 1-3 people currently wearing the uniform will be gone because the average across all 353 D1 programs was 2.5 players transferring out in 2018-2019*

I personally want every player to do what is best for them, simple as that. 

*Per Jeff Goodman in April 2019 --- 875 transfers/353 teams = 2.5 players per team  

Source: https://watchstadium.com/comprehensive-list-of-college-basketball-players-transferring-12-29-2018/

Further reading (NCAA actually puts out some interesting stats on transfers):

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/investigating-college-basketballs-transfer-movement/

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/research/rep/NCAARES_REP-TrackingTransfersDIMBB.pdf

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/transfers-division-i

On 1/10/2020 at 5:59 PM, Handy Johnson said:

In old school parlance, Jervay needs to “let the game come to him”...

Green seems to be able to do that, for the most part, at Ohio St. Good to see, quite honestly. Gotta love Charlie Hustle out there, but NU will always need some more of Jervay's scoring punch off the bench in these remaining B1G games in 2019-20.

10 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I have to say that I've had a few face in palm moments when it comes to our players, but I do not think there has been a single b ball player that has had on the husker uniform (well...AWIII maybe) that I'm not proud to call a Husker. 

Joe McCray was kind of embarrassing for some of the stuff he did on the court. He seemed to act like a punk his 2nd year. Probably ate his way outta big-time ball. Kinda sad, really. Dude had a shooter's touch with a scorer's mentality his FROSH season.