Jervay Green

Most of the fans that sit in my section HATE him, we certainly have played better without him in the rotation, but he’s TOO talented to just give up on this early in his career. Starting him seemed to limit the ball movement between Mack & the other wings. He doesn’t shoot a high enough percentage to be “instant offense” off the bench. More than anything, I think he needs 2-3 “good” games, regardless of his minutes where he can get some confidence back & his head screwed on straight...

Reminds me of when Biggs left the team was better. No idea about the off the court stuff but on the court Biggs and Green have talent sometimes guys just dont fit. I'm not giving up on Green yet it's only 15 games but if the trend continues I hope the kid finds the best opportunity to flourish whether its here or somewhere else.

He will be in a bit of a tough spot if sort of asked to leave it seems.  One year left, have to sit out to play major college ball it seems.  Perhaps a grad transfer candidate, but I tend to doubt it.  I did like him rooting on this guys last night.  I think he fits in this rotation somehow or other.  On him to help coaches figure out what that is.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

He will be in a bit of a tough spot if sort of asked to leave it seems.  One year left, have to sit out to play major college ball it seems.  Perhaps a grad transfer candidate, but I tend to doubt it.  I did like him rooting on this guys last night.  I think he fits in this rotation somehow or other.  On him to help coaches figure out what that is.  

If Jervay mans up in practice time, he'll earn back minutes. Both Thor & Charlie have earned time, so it's up to Jervay to do the same. The coaches are going to play the dudes who have earned a role. And I suspect Jervay will do the work to get back in there before his time is done at NU. Just look at Thor, that dude didn't even play until he basically had to due to lack of any other viable options in his 1st season or 2. Now, he's a bonafide Big Ten player with a starter's role.

I think the coaches have done a really good job of extending minutes for those players that are playing well in a game.  I think they have done an adequate job for determining who is to play.   Kavas and Green are both talented  players that have a good history that are struggling with shot %.   Coach H has given them a reasonable chance to break through this mental hurdle but if the guys behind you are performing than it's time to reallocate roles.

15 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Most of the fans that sit in my section HATE him, we certainly have played better without him in the rotation, but he’s TOO talented to just give up on this early in his career. Starting him seemed to limit the ball movement between Mack & the other wings. He doesn’t shoot a high enough percentage to be “instant offense” off the bench. More than anything, I think he needs 2-3 “good” games, regardless of his minutes where he can get some confidence back & his head screwed on straight...

Hate? I don’t hate anyone on the team. What’s to hate from someone who got benched but was out there cheering for his teammates as they got a win without him?

Here are the numbers for the team with Jervay on and off the court. 

There isn't much context here but it backs up what we're seeing.

image.png

Some of the context is who comes off the court when Jervay is in.  When we started the season, we had a 4 guard rotation that included everyone except for Cross and Yvan at center. (sometimes Kavas was at center when we wanted to go small).  Some sort of combination of us getting our teeth kicked in at GT, Cross transferring, and Green getting suspended found us shifting to a 3 guard lineup with Thor and Kavas platooning at the 4.   Green is the odd man out in that shift.

Mack, Cheatham, and Burke are playing well. They should be starting.  That makes Green all of their backups and in the role of backup, Easley is doing a better job. Unless someone gets injured, his best bet is to buy in defensively (the numbers imply he has not) and work his way into the backup guard rotation and go from there.

49 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Hate? I don’t hate anyone on the team. What’s to hate from someone who got benched but was out there cheering for his teammates as they got a win without him?

I’m referring to the folks in my section who would help him pack & gladly drive him to the Bus station TOMORROW...

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Here are the numbers for the team with Jervay on and off the court. 

There isn't much context here but it backs up what we're seeing.

image.png

Some of the context is who comes off the court when Jervay is in.  When we started the season, we had a 4 guard rotation that included everyone except for Cross and Yvan at center. (sometimes Kavas was at center when we wanted to go small).  Some sort of combination of us getting our teeth kicked in at GT, Cross transferring, and Green getting suspended found us shifting to a 3 guard lineup with Thor and Kavas platooning at the 4.   Green is the odd man out in that shift.

Mack, Cheatham, and Burke are playing well. They should be starting.  That makes Green all of their backups and in the role of backup, Easley is doing a better job. Unless someone gets injured, his best bet is to buy in defensively (the numbers imply he has not) and work his way into the backup guard rotation and go from there.

This is no longer a small sample size. I'm struck by the difference defensively. Sometimes you can't help being in a shooting slump and the shots just aren't falling. But you can control what kind of defense you play. And the numbers on defense are basically better across the board when he's not in the game. That's shocking to me.

17 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Are we sure Green is TOO talented? He's the worst 3pt shooter on the team of anyone who plays a lot other than Kevin Cross. He's the worst FG% shooter of anyone on the team. He's the third-worst FT% shooter on the team (ahead of Burke and Yvan). He averages more fouls per minute than any other player on the team other than Cross and Easley. He averages more turnovers per game than anyone on the team other than Mack (who handles the ball the entire game). 

But the most telling statistic that can be skewed for a game or two, but not over the course of a season, is +/-. There is a reason why we beat Purdue and Iowa, games where Kavas and Green combined to average just 12.5 mpg. 

Name
+/-⇕
Min⇕
T. Thorbjarnarson 28 353
C. Easley 14 49
K. Cross 12 283
C. Mack 8 522
H. Cheatham -5 502
Y. Ouedraogo -17 318
D. Burke -21 413
S. Curtis -23 49
M. Kavas -43 249
J. Green -55 350

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’m referring to the folks in my section who would help him pack & gladly drive him to the Bus station TOMORROW...

I know. I guess I just don’t get it. We have people playing better now, but we might need him tomorrow. What has he done to earn their hate rather than just wanting others to play over him? 

39 minutes ago, Vinny said:

I know. I guess I just don’t get it. We have people playing better now, but we might need him tomorrow. What has he done to earn their hate rather than just wanting others to play over him? 

I'm sure the original poster maybe went a little overboard with the tern "hate"...I'm guessing it's more like they don't want to see him on the court again. 

From the evidence we have, it seems Jervay would have been much better off in Tim Miles' system of dominating the ball, ISOs, driving to the rim and mid-range jump shots. Team basketball does not appear to his strong suit. He shoots too much. He takes bad shots. He doesn't move the ball. He doesn't play great defense. He makes bad decisions on and off the court. 

Edited by GoBigFred

38 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Ageee. Like if you feel that strongly about someone playing over someone, thats something you should take up with coach. Its not Jervay's fault HCFH chose to play him over Charlie, Samari, Thor or whoever.

It seems like Green has become a latter day version on Sec Henry who was never able to really connect with the fans despite having a pretty good skill set. Hopefully Jervay and Kavas will be able to adjust and contribute as time passes because it is naïve to believe this seven man rotation will survive through the grind of the league season with anything left physically or mentally by the end of the year. 

Those are probably the same exact people who used to complain so loudly about how much of a waste it was to give Thor a scholarship.  They used to post here about that very thing...loudly.

I'm pretty glad Thor has stuck around, and I hope Jervay does the same.

Edited by 49r

5 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

Are we sure Green is TOO talented? He's the worst 3pt shooter on the team of anyone who plays a lot other than Kevin Cross. He's the worst FG% shooter of anyone on the team. He's the third-worst FT% shooter on the team (ahead of Burke and Yvan). He averages more fouls per minute than any other player on the team other than Cross and Easley. He averages more turnovers per game than anyone on the team other than Mack (who handles the ball the entire game). 

But the most telling statistic that can be skewed for a game or two, but not over the course of a season, is +/-. There is a reason why we beat Purdue and Iowa, games where Kavas and Green combined to average just 12.5 mpg. 

Name
+/-⇕
Min⇕
T. Thorbjarnarson 28 353
C. Easley 14 49
K. Cross 12 283
C. Mack 8 522
H. Cheatham -5 502
Y. Ouedraogo -17 318
D. Burke -21 413
S. Curtis -23 49
M. Kavas -43 249
J. Green -55 350

Those are certainly some sobering numbers, but you can watch him play & see he has some REAL ability. I’m guessing he’s use to being a ball hog on a bad team & isn’t use to playing “team” ball with others who are just as talented or more so. Like I said before, he needs a stretch of games where things go “right” & I still think he’ll really take off...

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Those are certainly some sobering numbers, but you can watch him play & see he has some REAL ability. I’m guessing he’s use to being a ball hog on a bad team & isn’t use to playing “team” ball with others who are just as talented or more so. Like I said before, he needs a stretch of games where things go “right” & I still think he’ll really take off...

I've said this before, I can see why maybe he and Cam don't see eye to eye, because both dudes came from a JUCO where each of 'em were THE MAN. And I don't see a situation where Cam is not the dude at NU...  and Jervay perhaps had not (as of yet) come to grips with his lack of "the-man'"-ness at Nebraska, so to speak. 

Edited by AuroranHusker