uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 15 - vs. Iowa

uneblinstu

8 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

You are right that we got lucky that Wieskamp couldn't buy a bucket but given the roster Iowa was trotting out there it was the right gameplan.  Clogging up the paint not only slowed down Garza but also made either him or Kriener have to play out on the perimeter.  While I agree that buy-in made it happen...that was a part of the reason this game went well vs what we saw vs Rutgers. I disagree that this was a bad plan though. It was the right call vs Rutgers and Iowa and will be vs Northwestern.  If we try to pack the paint vs Ohio St.....THAT would be a bad plan.

I didn’t do a good job of being clear. I didn’t say it was a bad plan. I was saying buy-in and want to can make even bad plans work. Last nights plan was the right plan. Was just trying to make the point that even with a good plan, lack of buy-in will ruin it. Sorry for the confusion. 

I watched it last night. Got off work and going to the gym then going to watch it again

I love watching Iowa lose. Makes my heart Happy. 

Quick thoughts 

-yvan and Cross did their best. Both had good and bad moments

-cam is special. Still out of control at times but he's electric as hell

-easley came to play. Held his own on the perimeter against Joe T (who by the way is going to give us headaches over the next few years. Physical guard. Was most impressed with him out of guys I hadn't watched for Iowa)

-green didn't play, and this can go one of two ways. He can shut down for the year and transfer when the year concludes. OR he can compete and get his spot back. I tend to think he'll do the latter. He's been through JUCO so he's faced and handled adversity before, and him at his best gives us a weapon to use on both defense and offense. Right now he's not his best. I have faith in him. 

-thors progression from a throw-in in the 17 recruiting class to a big ten starter is nothing short of amazing. Got a picture with him at Dick's sporting goods a few weeks ago. Really happy with how he's progressed. 

Now. Time to watch Iowa lose for the second time in 24 hours. 

21 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Also loved Charlie’s hustle. Right in front of my seats o got to see him block a pass and then dive for the looseball and call a timeout. Hoiberg said on the radio that play was huge because it helps set the tone to the rest of the team. I expect to see more of Charlie.

Are you the dude with a jersey? That guy is legendary.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

We need to keep an eye on the amount of minutes Cam is racking up.  It’s bound to wear him down.  

He's a young man, in college. Shoot, there are younger NBA dudes who have racked up more time in twice as many games, already. I think he'll be fine. If anything, limit his full-speed practice reps. NU needs him on the court as much as humanly possible in order to compete on a nightly basis.

23 hours ago, jayschool said:

Chad Leistikow from the Des Moines Register:

LINCOLN, Neb. — Down to eight available scholarship players and another starter lost to injury, Iowa knew it needed to find a way to survive and beat the Big Ten Conference’s most beatable team. But the Hawkeyes had an off night.

Wieskamp had spent a few days practicing with Adidas basketballs, the kind that Nebraska uses for home games. They have a different feel, but he entered confident.

That was the resounding message afterward from the stunned Hawkeyes, who had just dropped a game to the Big Ten Conference’s worst team, one that had lost home games to UC Riverside, Southern Utah, North Dakota and, most recently, by 17 points to Rutgers. Keep shooting.

Iowa dropped to 10-5 overall, 1-3 in the Big Ten on Tuesday. I am confident those marks would be 12-3 and 3-1 if Bohannon was healthy, and we’d be talking about a seismic home game Friday against No. 14 Maryland. The Hawkeyes missed his game-closing ability in a down-to-the-wire 89-86 loss against Penn State, and he would’ve tortured Fred Hoiberg’s zone Tuesday night.

BUT BOHANNON ISN'T HEALTHY, CHAD! AND WE'D BE A LOT BETTER IF WE HAD OUR THREE SIT-OUT TRANSFERS, BUT WE KNEW WE WOULDN'T, JUST AS IOWA KNEW IT WOULD HAVE TO PLAY WITHOUT BOHANNON FOR MOST OF THE BIG TEN SEASON AND THAT THEY'D HAVE TO SHOOT (GASP) OTHER TEAMS' BALLS IN  AWAY GAMES.

I'm usually not an all-caps kinda guy, but sheesh!

Lestikow is a moron.  I can't stand that idiot.  Excuses and complaints.  Typical Hawkeye.   I hope Iowa doesn't have to play at Indiana and use those Adidas balls again.  

22 hours ago, jayschool said:

I also found it comical last night that 6-10 senior Ryan Kriener often found himself guarded by 6-2 freshman walk-on Charlie Easley, and he did virtually nothing. 🤗

Kriener is pillowy soft.  

And another Iowa team of the "ugliest white dudes" you can find.   Garza and Wieskamp are great players, but man, those are ugly dudes.  Iowa has a boatload of them EVERY year.  

Next step for this team is to not lay an egg against a team they should beat. Indiana, Purdue, and Iowa are all proof that we can compete with the middle of the pack B1G teams. Northwestern will likely finish last. Lets see this team come out tomorrow and take care of business!

Rutgers game doesnt bother me as much bc: 1. I heard on a podcast (half court press or pick six) that Rutgers was the biggest/heaviest team in the B1G and 2. I think they are pretty good. Like top 6 finish in the conference