uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 15 - vs. Iowa

uneblinstu

6 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Interesting that Hoiberg said he told Jervay before the game that he wasn’t going to play, said he wanted to replicate the lineups they went with vs Indiana and Purdue.  Our offense moved sooooo much better. (At least it’s seemed like it to me)

The thing about Green is:

He has the 3rd worst 3pt% on the team at 30%. Only above Cross and Easley but leads the team in 3pt attempts at 61. (tied now with Cam, Prior to tonight he was alone as the only guy with 60+ 3pt attempts) 

He's also dead last (not counting Arop who has yet to take a shot) in fg% and yet is one of 5 players with over 100 attempts. (he had the 3rd most attempts on the team going into tonight.)

Considering the fact that he's put up those shot numbers despite missing 2 full games and again is often the worst shooter on the floor... that is simply an offense killer. Nothing else he brings to the table right now makes up for what is lost just by having him on the floor taking shots.

6 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Charlie "Hustle" and Thor bringin' the Hammer to Iowa once again were especially enjoyable.

And, the home team has won the past 7 meetings between NU & Iowa.

Amazing transformation Thor has under gone in literally less than a season. 

Bench warmer --> hustle/energy guy --> legit B1G starter

Gotta love his story.

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Thor has one of the highest basketball IQs of any player we've ever had here. Examples abound. Some stand out: he knew we had 4 team fouls in the half with a minute or so to play and could force Iowa to waste time inbounding the ball rather than getting a shot at the hoop. Just made sure the foul was on the floor. And you could tell he knew exactly what he was doing when he did it.

Thor has made the absolute most of the opportunities he's had to see the floor his entire career here. And he has manufactured a jump shot where there was none, which had to take a lot of work and perseverance. Love seeing that kid have success.

Are you implying that with time players can develop and improve? So in your doom and gloom look into next year, we may want to slow down a bit and see which guys make the same type of jump that a player like Thor has made this year.  Especially the 3 we have practicing all season long that will join the game roster next year. Or the way Palmer greatly improved in his year off?  :)

Edited by bball23

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

That last comment was intriguing, in particular, especially with a guy like Jervay Green not playing tonight. Just a curious notion to present "Best Friend is The Hammer" in a post-game presser

He quickly tapped Burke and said he was his best friend but he loved Thor on the floor for his intelligence.

59 minutes ago, bball23 said:

Are you implying that with time players can develop and improve? So in your doom and gloom look into next year, we may want to slow down a bit and see which guys make the same type of jump that a player like Thor has made this year.  Especially the 3 we have practicing all season long that will join the game roster next year. Or the way Palmer greatly improved in his year off?  :)

I don't think "wait and see" is the same thing as "doom and gloom."

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

That last comment was intriguing, in particular, especially with a guy like Jervay Green not playing tonight. Just a curious notion to present "Best Friend is The Hammer" in a post-game presser

Mack likes dishing assists. Thor makes this easier for him.

I think Cross played by far his best defensive game, he was much more active. Quick jumper, if he gets in shape he will cause a lot of mismatches if he moves to the wing.

Green’s issue is between his ears, hope he can get it worked out. Charlie brings some energy and toughness which we still need a lot more of.

coaches were also telling them to use fouls wisely and then not to foul anymore when we got to 6. I really like how they sub too. 

great game

11 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Green’s issue is between his ears, hope he can get it worked out. Charlie brings some energy and toughness which we still need a lot more of.

Totally agree. If both players are at their best, Jervay Green is the better player. But at this very moment in the season Charlie Easley is a better option for us considering what the team needs and what both players are currently offering.

10 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

That's our default defensive game plan.

I think the difference in last night was demonstrating to the team how important buy-in and want-to are to the game plan. You could trot that plan out and just get lit up from 3 in the first 5 minutes. However, they came out aggressively and intensified in their plan. You can make bad plans work with buy-in and intensity - have seen it many times. 

We’ve tried variations of that throughout the years - but have rarely gotten that much out of it. 

I wish we could somehow merge Kevin Cross and Yvan Ouedraogo.

Cross had that throw-down of a dish from Cam Mack later in the game. Next time Yvan's in the game, he fumbles the same pass and it's a turnover. Fred immediately went to the bench (I saw it coming) with about 3 1/2 to play and subbed Kevin back in. He talked about it a little bit on his post-game. Kevin just knows how to make that play happen.

But Fred also repeated again that Kevin is 6'6, not the 6'8 he's listed at (which we've all kinda known for awhile now.) Kevin's a bit undersized, but he plays bigger than Yvan. If Kevin had Yvan's size or Yvan had Kevin's tools, we'd have a real weapon on our hands.

33 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

But to be fair to hear "wait and see" coming from Norm does feel a lot like "doom and gloom" 😉

Fair enough. I think the "doom and gloom" is coming from the idea that I was dumbstruck at some of the people on here saying NCAA tourney in year 2 based on either Teddy Allen or Lat Mayen committing (don't recall which.) I don't know. Until we have some players besides Mack that show some all-Conference potential, then our guys are only Big Ten-caliber players in the sense that they play on a Big Ten team.

It's still possible. But I'm going to wait and see before I start signing onto the "NCAA in Year 2" crew.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Fair enough. I think the "doom and gloom" is coming from the idea that I was dumbstruck at some of the people on here saying NCAA tourney in year 2 based on either Teddy Allen or Lat Mayen committing (don't recall which.) I don't know. Until we have some players besides Mack that show some all-Conference potential, then our guys are only Big Ten-caliber players in the sense that they play on a Big Ten team.

It's still possible. But I'm going to wait and see before I start signing onto the "NCAA in Year 2" crew.

Stop being rationale and let us crazy people start planning our sweet 16, elite 8, and final four trips next year 😀

19 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I think the difference in last night was demonstrating to the team how important buy-in and want-to are to the game plan. You could trot that plan out and just get lit up from 3 in the first 5 minutes. However, they came out aggressively and intensified in their plan. You can make bad plans work with buy-in and intensity - have seen it many times. 

We’ve tried variations of that throughout the years - but have rarely gotten that much out of it. 

You are right that we got lucky that Wieskamp couldn't buy a bucket but given the roster Iowa was trotting out there it was the right gameplan.  Clogging up the paint not only slowed down Garza but also made either him or Kriener have to play out on the perimeter.  While I agree that buy-in made it happen...that was a part of the reason this game went well vs what we saw vs Rutgers. I disagree that this was a bad plan though. It was the right call vs Rutgers and Iowa and will be vs Northwestern.  If we try to pack the paint vs Ohio St.....THAT would be a bad plan.

52 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here’s hoping that all future opponents have really-big and dominant bigs, like Iowa and Purdue.

I think it's more important that all future opponents just hit 10% of their 3's against us...I mean, fair is fair, if Iowa hits even a pathetic 20% of their 3 point shots they win going away.