Iowa (10-4) (1-2) vs. Nebraska (6-8)(1-2) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

5 minutes ago, atskooc said:

Jervay not playing was “just a decision” Coach made. 

Said he noticed our best games were when he didn’t play. 

And, Hoiberg said he discussed it with Green prior to the game.  So, huge kudos to Green for handling the decision with maturity as I saw him on a few occasions really cheering the team on.

Hopefully he works on his game and can earn some time and contribute at some point in the future.

Edited by Nebrasketball1979

1 minute ago, Huskerpapa said:

I was at the game... so I do not have access to the minutes played.  I thought Cam came out twice.  I don't believe Green played and i don't believe Kavas played in the second half.

I didnt catch the first half. But your right about Kavas and Green. Hoiberg was talking about player fatigue when he mentioned Mack had played all but 30 seconds. So it could've been a slight exaggeration.

Freddy does tend to go with 7 players when push comes to shove. And the 2nd half was a slugfest. Proud of Charlie "Hustle" & Thor bringin' the Hammer with all of their Effort plays. That's how Nebraska needs dudes to play, and its opponents shooting 4 of 33 from the land of plenty certainly helps in NU getting the dub! Cam Mack is so good, his passing is Elite.

9 hours ago, LK1 said:

Dachon is going to have to play well because Easley just proved he’s a player and deserves double digit minutes at the 2 every night.  

Dachon played 28 min last night and Charlie played 16 min. As long as Jervay is benched, I think Charlie will get double digit minutes every night and it have no impact on Dachon's playing time.

Green and Kavas went to check in during second half and were sitting at scorers table with about 8 minutes left (7:56). Think that is when Easley grabbed loose ball on the floor and called timeout and evidently HCFH thought the extra length of time out gave the guys on the floor a good enough rest. Hopefully someone can clarify but think the time out was longer because it coincided with the "under 8" timeout?

6 hours ago, khoock said:

Dachon played 28 min last night and Charlie played 16 min. As long as Jervay is benched, I think Charlie will get double digit minutes every night and it have no impact on Dachon's playing time.

I don’t agree on nights where Dachon is tragically misfiring.  We now have someone we know we can put in and make just as many plays.  In fact, the way they were rotated last night I think gave Dachon a chance to calm himself, get inspired, and come back in to help win the game for us.  But I’m in general agreement—I think if Dachon is playing decent he’s a slightly better player than Easley since he can get his own shot.  

I urge everyone to get over the underdog story with Easley though.  He’s the best true freshman walk-on I’ve ever seen at UNL.  He was a legitimate D1 prospect and likely would’ve been a solidly contributing midmajor player somewhere similar to Dachon.  We are beyond lucky to have him.  

Hustle Part Of Winning Formula For Huskers

image.png

https://huskers.com/news/2020/1/8/mens-basketball-hustle-part-of-winning-formula-for-huskers.aspx

Thorir Thorbjarnarson deflected an Iowa pass in the paint. The basketball fell to the court and bounced away, and the battle for the loose ball began. " Remember the clip of Easley putting his rump into Purdue center Matt Haarms to not only successfully box out, but frustrate the 7-foot-3 center?  He beat Garza to the loose ball, gathered himself with the basketball and smartly called timeout to give Nebraska possession on what became an Iowa turnover.  Before the play even finished, Husker fans were jumping to their feet to celebrate the steal from Charlie Hustle.

image.png

Easley played a career-high 16 minutes. His previous career high was 10 minutes, in the aforementioned game against Purdue. Nebraska won that game, too.

"Charlie, he's a hard worker," junior guard Dachon Burke said. "Sometimes me and him are battling to see who's the first in the gym. I see him in here 10 minutes before me, the next day I'm trying to get in 10 minutes before he gets here.  But jumping on the floor, keeping that energy going? You can't teach that."

"I thought Charlie Easley made some unbelievable hustle plays," Nebraska coach Fred Hoiberg said. "That play where he dove on the floor was the loudest it got in the building all night."

Edited by Red Don