What Was Miles Plan?

I haven’t been around much, probably to the delight of many of you....but what would the roster have looked like this year under Miles?

This is not a bash Miles post because I know he stocked the board for last year but what was our top 8 going to look like with him? Roby was going pro regardless. And it’s my understanding that Allen was out the door even if Miles was retained.  Was Burke and Green, both who look like wouldn’t start for many Big Ten teams have been the center pieces?

Looking forward to next year when we should have enough talent to start looking like a real basketball team again. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

11 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Harris has been playing well at his new school, would he have here?  Who knows.  Think it would have been a long year even if Tim had been retained.  That said, the AD, as discussed multiple times, made recruiting tough when you walk into a home with a 2-3 contract.

Forgot about Amir. Probably would have been starting PG. Great defender, but no outside shot. 

I was just trying to piece together what this team would have looked like say had we made the NCAA tournament last year. 

Your roster would have looked like this. Im including all returning players since we dont technically know what attrition would have looked like under Miles. But im assuming certain players (Roby, Thomas Allen, Nana Akenten) would have been gone even with Tim Miles being retained.

SENIORS

Isaiah Roby 6'8 F

JUNIORS

Dachon Burke 6'4 G

Jervay Green 6'3 G

Nana Akenten 6'6 GF

Thomas Allen 6'1 G

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 G

SOPHOMORES 

Amir Harris 6'6 GF

Brady Heiman 6'11 FC

FRESHMEN

Akol Arop 6'6 F

Karrington Davis 6'6 F

Mika Adams-Woods 6'2 G

* Possibility of having Johnny Trueblood back for his SR season and/or Tanner Borchardt waiver for another season since he exhausted an entire season for 1 min of game action

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I haven’t been around much, probably to the delight of many of you....but what would the roster have looked like this year under Miles?

This is not a bash Miles post because I know he stocked the board for last year but what was our top 8 going to look like with him? Roby was going pro regardless. And it’s my understanding that Allen was out the door even if Miles was retained.  Was Burke and Green, both who look like wouldn’t start for many Big Ten teams have been the center pieces?

Looking forward to next year when we should have enough talent to start looking like a real basketball team again. 

Miles' plan would have had Jervay and Dachon driving to the basket more, and driving lanes would have been opened up with Mika Adams-Woods hitting over 50% from beyond the arc.

Looks like Karrington Davis is gradually earning more playing time and making the best of it. He scored 10 points against Missouri.

Amir Harris is averaging 10.5 and 7.5 (and 3.5 assists) in 2 games at George Washington so far.

And next year, when 2 Rivals 4-stars, Donovan Williams and D'Andre Davis would arrive, we'd probably have a pretty decent team. I think those two are going to be pretty good when all is said and done.

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Your roster would have looked like this. Im including all returning players since we dont technically know what attrition would have looked like under Miles. But im assuming certain players (Roby, Thomas Allen, Nana Akenten) would have been gone even with Tim Miles being retained.

SENIORS

Isaiah Roby 6'8 F

JUNIORS

Dachon Burke 6'4 G

Jervay Green 6'3 G

Nana Akenten 6'6 GF

Thomas Allen 6'1 G

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 G

SOPHOMORES 

Amir Harris 6'6 GF

Brady Heiman 6'11 FC

FRESHMEN

Akol Arop 6'6 F

Karrington Davis 6'6 F

Mika Adams-Woods 6'2 G

* Possibility of having Johnny Trueblood back for his SR season and/or Tanner Borchardt waiver for another season since he exhausted an entire season for 1 min of game action

My guess is Nana was gone regardless and Roby was off to the NBA no matter what.

I think Miles would probably have used the openings to bring in a grad transfer or perhaps juco big man.

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

My guess is Nana was gone regardless and Roby was off to the NBA no matter what.

I think Miles would probably have used the openings to bring in a grad transfer or perhaps juco big man.

Completely agree with the entire post. The question is, would he have been able to land any bigs through the grad transfer or JUCO route? Didnt seem like he had much success doing that.

Who doesn't like wild speculation!!!

I think the team that Miles' would have fielded this year would have been better than Hoiberg's current team, which kind of goes without saying since Hoiberg had to put this team together in roughly a month.  Not to mention he had to install his offense/defense with a new team as well.  I think its possible we would have been sniffing a NIT berth with Miles this year but I really don't think the ceiling was much higher.  

I also hope and believe that Hoiberg's year 2 and especially year 3 team would be better than what Miles could have put together.  

I loved Tim and what he did here and will always remember his time well.  I think you can appreciate what both coaches did or will do without drawing a hard line in the sand on Miles and his tenure here.  Miles was exactly what the program needed when we hired him and Fred sure seems like exactly what we need to elevate the program from where Miles left it.

Who knows, it’s all speculation, but I do believe Brady would help us more this year with an inside defensive presence and at least grabbing some boards vs. what Kavas is giving us.  I had a couple of really good looks on some of the under the basket “battles” last night from my seats. Kavas wants no part, absolutely none whatsoever, of going down and battling for a board. A couple of times when Rutgers’ big man was tipping it to himself, Kavas did not even jump. I know this as fact since his shoes never lifted from the court.  I understand why Kavas looked like a good fit on paper. 6-8, stretch the floor and hit threes. But if he’s not hitting three’s, he’s not bringing anything else, no shot blocking, no rebounding, not much hustle, and zero fight, to the floor. 

3 hours ago, Nebrasketball1979 said:

I think its possible we would have been sniffing a NIT berth with Miles this year but I really don't think the ceiling was much higher.

I think we're forgetting how big of a drop off we were going to have after last season regardless of who our coach was going to be.

But there are just way too many variables in play through the offseason that my mind can't even settle on any speculation. I never could have come close to predicting how Hoiberg's offseason turned out, so I'm just going to sit on the sidelines for this one.