uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 14 - vs. Rutgers

uneblinstu

On 1/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Rutgers has this sophomore kid who's 6'11 and has a 7'7 wingspan. Did I mention he's a sophomore?

He shoots jump hooks just the way @Dean Smith described them. His touch is deft enough that he was able to hit 9 of 13 shots, all in the paint. Some of them were dunks, of course. But if he got within 10 feet of the rim, he was pretty effective with that little jump hook. He also had 14 rebounds and a couple of blocks.

I don't think he had to chase anyone on the perimeter. Our guards were horrid from 3-point range. Our big men were worse. So, if we have a big man sitting at the end of the bench in a sweat suit who can knock down some threes next year, it'll be an improvement over anything we have right now.

We'll see. I kinda like what I saw from the Rutgers kid. It would take a lot of threes to make up for 18 points and 14 rebounds.

Yeah, I liked a lot of what I saw from several of the Rutgers guys. If Banton and Stevenson are as good as we are told they are, that will close the gap in a hurry. Will it close it all the way? We'll see. Another 10-15 pounds on the French freshman we have that you love will go a long way, too. Same goes from the Arkansan. 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:16 PM, Art Vandalay said:

The first key is to have guys that can shoot, we don’t. Creighton does this very thing and buried Marq, they sat there bigs because they were getting burned.

Found it interesting Marquette’s bigs were NU targets Joey Johnson and Theo John, along with Ed Morrow.  Oh, and Thurl Bailey’s kid.

Question for someone who knows more about this than I do...

How much can Arop play and still redshirt this year? Is he already past the point where he could still redshirt? 

He looks very athletic and seems to be able to hit 3's at a high percentage in the pregame warm ups...

46 minutes ago, BigTate said:

Question for someone who knows more about this than I do...

How much can Arop play and still redshirt this year? Is he already past the point where he could still redshirt? 

He looks very athletic and seems to be able to hit 3's at a high percentage in the pregame warm ups...

He's already played in a game so he can't this year. There's an exception when it comes to claiming a medical redshirt if the injury occurred early in the year (not sure on the exact number of games) but since there's been no injury and we're already into January he wouldn't be able to. 

15 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

He's already played in a game so he can't this year. There's an exception when it comes to claiming a medical redshirt if the injury occurred early in the year (not sure on the exact number of games) but since there's been no injury and we're already into January he wouldn't be able to. 

I think its like the first third or first quarter of the season.

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Jordan Bohannon played in Iowa's first 10 games before shutting it down because of his hip injury, which he sustained last season. 

24 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I dont know about the men, bit on the women's side. They can play 9 games and still redshirt.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Jordan Bohannon played in Iowa's first 10 games before shutting it down because of his hip injury, which he sustained last season. 

So maybe its if you have played less than a third of the season and then have a season ending injury, you are eligible for a medical redshirt.

The women play two less regular season games than the men, correct? If that's so the nine games for women and ten for men seem about equal to a third of the season.

Edited by khoock