Rutgers (10-3) (1-1) vs. Nebraska (6-7) (1-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

I would highly think about it, if I were him.  Maybe he tries.  This team plays the worst defense I have seen in my lifetime.

I mean... either he is struggling THAT bad which could lead to his transfer because he isn’t doing well... OR he isn’t given time on a team that plays terrible D, doesn’t give effort at times, and shoots more bricks than Endicot Clay.  Either option is rough for him.

Charlie Easley:  4th in scoring, 2nd in steals.

3 minutes.

What am I missing at this point to give him Green’s 2 guard minutes (I still like Green at point). 

Give me a lineup of:

Mack/Green

Cheatham/Easley

Thor/Burke

Cross 

Yvan

Once.  Just once let’s play our best 5 together.  Give Cross and Yvan spot minutes from Kavas and Akol.  

54 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Charlie Easley:  4th in scoring, 2nd in steals.

3 minutes.

What am I missing at this point to give him Green’s 2 guard minutes (I still like Green at point). 

Give me a lineup of:

Mack/Green

Cheatham/Easley

Thor/Burke

Cross 

Yvan

Once.  Just once let’s play our best 5 together.  Give Cross and Yvan spot minutes from Kavas and Akol.  

you really think Fred doesn’t want to play our best five together? I like Cross on potential but he is struggling shooting and can’t guard anyone. We just do not have a lot of great options period. I am not giving up on Green, he is still getting used to this level and thinking too much IMO

36 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

you really think Fred doesn’t want to play our best five together? I like Cross on potential but he is struggling shooting and can’t guard anyone. We just do not have a lot of great options period. I am not giving up on Green, he is still getting used to this level and thinking too much IMO

I think Fred wants to install his system and fulfill his promises to the kids who took a risk to stick with us and fill our roster.  And fair enough.  

What better player do we have at the 4 than Cross?  I’d like him to start getting minutes at his natural spot.  He can guard the 4.

I’m giving up on Green as a 2 guard.  I like him at the 1.  

I haven’t given up on Easley at the 2.  He shows competence every time he steps on the court on both ends.  He’s a warrior in practice.  I’d like to see him get big minutes in a game at some point.  I think he can produce every bit offensively from the 2 that Green or Burke have of late.  

12 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I think Fred wants to install his system and fulfill his promises to the kids who took a risk to stick with us and fill our roster.  And fair enough.  

What better player do we have at the 4 than Cross?  I’d like him to start getting minutes at his natural spot.  He can guard the 4.

I’m giving up on Green as a 2 guard.  I like him at the 1.  

I haven’t given up on Easley at the 2.  He shows competence every time he steps on the court on both ends.  He’s a warrior in practice.  I’d like to see him get big minutes in a game at some point.  I think he can produce every bit offensively from the 2 that Green or Burke have of late.  

who plays when Drago needs a rest? Neither he or Cross can go to long without a rest. We do not even really differentiate much between 2-4 anyway. It’s who can you guard and he is not guarding anyone now so I would take Thor over him for sure. Hopefully he gets in shape and gets that shot going because if he does he can be a match up problem going forward with his other skills. No problem giving Easley more time but i will give Green a lot more time, think he can be a good wing eventually. I like him there more than PG which I think he’s could be a decent backup.

Edited by Art Vandalay

8 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

who plays when Drago needs a rest? Neither he or Cross can go to long without a rest. We do not even really differentiate much between 2-4 anyway. It’s who can you guard and he is not guarding anyone now so I would take Thor over him for sure. Hopefully he gets in shape and gets that shot going because if he does he can be a match up problem going forward with his other skills. No problem giving Easley more time but i will give Green a lot more time, think he can be a good wing eventually. I like him there more than PG which I think he’s could be a decent backup.

If Drago needs a rest, try Kavas or Cross at the 5.  Really isn’t much difference in their D as they’ll both be beat anyways.

8 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

As I said originally, Kavas and Arop could provide spot minutes for Yvan and Cross.  Cross at the 5 is no more effective defensively at the 5 than Kavas or Arop would be, so we might as well use him in his natural spot at the 4.  

And I saw absolutely nothing last night that merits more time for Green on the wing.  I’m comfortable with our disagreement.  

Edited by LK1

Not sure if it had anything to do with being down 13 to Rutgers at halftime but Jervay seemed less than interested while warming up for 2nd half. I seen him shoot 2 times while lazily dribbling at 3 point line and take couple steps in and shoot 17 footer off of 1 foot. He spent last minute of warm up holding basketball underneath basket talking to other players. I have no issue with his minutes being cut back.

And got to talking with friends beside me and things will be much different and better next year with Blanton, Walker, Stephenson and Allen coming in. Or least that is the eternal Nebraska basketball optimist coming out in me.

7 hours ago, rr52 said:

Not sure if it had anything to do with being down 13 to Rutgers at halftime but Jervay seemed less than interested while warming up for 2nd half. I seen him shoot 2 times while lazily dribbling at 3 point line and take couple steps in and shoot 17 footer off of 1 foot. He spent last minute of warm up holding basketball underneath basket talking to other players. I have no issue with his minutes being cut back.

And got to talking with friends beside me and things will be much different and better next year with Blanton, Walker, Stephenson and Allen coming in. Or least that is the eternal Nebraska basketball optimist coming out in me.

We are pretty much at rock bottom.  So, the only way to go is up.