Lat Mayen is N

hhcmatt

27 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

When do verbal commitments become official? Can Allen and Mayen still change their minds and decommit at any time and can other programs still recruit VC"s until papers are signed? Not saying that will happen, just wondering.

The early signing period was in November. Next one will start April 15th. Verbal commits can still get recruited by other schools until they sign their LOI.

He only averages 9.3 points per game, which, for a junior college recruit, doesn't seem like a lot. But he's shooting 40% from beyond the arc, 46.5% from the field, and 82.4% from the line (!). He has more assists than turnovers. Perhaps most significantly, he grabs 8.1 rebounds per game.

He does a lot of what you want. He might not score a lot, but we have other scorers on the squad. What we need is a guy who rebounds well and who's capable of hitting that pick-and-pop 3. And this guy can do both of those things.

On paper, I think this is a good pick-up.

Mayan is also shooting 82.4% from the FT line so I'd assume the shooting numbers with him aren't fluky.

Seems pretty obvious that he will slot as a stretch 4 for us. I would wonder if we want to put any sort of significant additional weight on him.

Anyone seen any highlights from his college career?  I've watched his HS highlights but would like to see how he's progressed since then.

Based on his high school footage, he looks like a prototypical stretch 4.  Long and lean, not a ton of upper body strength.  Very good ball handler and shooter for his size.  Doesn't appear to box out very well; relied on length and athleticism to nab rebounds over smaller/less athletic defenders.  His high school footage reminds me a bit of a young Walt Pitchford, but a couple inches shorter and with more polished ball-handling skills.  Doesn't demonstrate a ton of lateral defensive quickness, but also didn't need to as he was able to defend well using his superior length in HS.

I'd love to see how he's developed in the past 3-4 years.  A few years of college coaching may have cleaned up his rebounding technique and lazy feet on defense.  If so, then this guy is a steal for us.

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Anyone seen any highlights from his college career?  I've watched his HS highlights but would like to see how he's progressed since then.

Based on his high school footage, he looks like a prototypical stretch 4.  Long and lean, not a ton of upper body strength.  Very good ball handler and shooter for his size.  Doesn't appear to box out very well; relied on length and athleticism to nab rebounds over smaller/less athletic defenders.  His high school footage reminds me a bit of a young Walt Pitchford, but a couple inches shorter and with more polished ball-handling skills.  Doesn't demonstrate a ton of lateral defensive quickness, but also didn't need to as he was able to defend well using his superior length in HS.

I'd love to see how he's developed in the past 3-4 years.  A few years of college coaching may have cleaned up his rebounding technique and lazy feet on defense.  If so, then this guy is a steal for us.

There are some full length videos on youtube from his junior college this season. I think four full games around end of Nov beginning of Dec. Just search Chipola College basketball and you'll find them. I watched about 10 minutes of a game against South Georgia and Lat makes a pretty strong, aggressive drive to the basket for a left-handed dunk for his team's first basket (so you won't have to watch long to see it.)

44 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There are some full length videos on youtube from his junior college this season. I think four full games around end of Nov beginning of Dec. Just search Chipola College basketball and you'll find them. I watched about 10 minutes of a game against South Georgia and Lat makes a pretty strong, aggressive drive to the basket for a left-handed dunk for his team's first basket (so you won't have to watch long to see it.)

He's #11.  The drive you're talking about starts at the 5:36 mark in the video below.

21 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I think this is a very good assessment.  The Walt comparison is a good comp I think. 

I am not quite as impressed with his ball handling although I understand what folks are saying.   I think it's good for H.S and juco but I would rather not see him do a lot of dribbling against D1 unless he is going downhill to the basket.   Not saying it's bad just that it's a little loose&high  for D1.   I think his handles are somewhat like Crosses so would say they are good for a 4 but not so much for a 3?  Is that fair?   Also think he is primarily a 4 and don't want him to guard too many smaller quicker wings due to the lateral quickness.   Quality player.  

3 hours ago, REDitus said:

he is primarily a 4 and don't want him to guard too many smaller quicker wings due to the lateral quickness.   

In ten minutes or so of Chipola game film from this year (granted, a small sample size), he spent a lot of that time guarding little guys out front.

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

In ten minutes or so of Chipola game film from this year (granted, a small sample size), he spent a lot of that time guarding little guys out front.

Totally initially read this as "Chipotle game film" and was wondering why you were bringing Andre Almeida into the conversation all of a sudden.

Appears Lat's fallen out of the starting lineup.  Monday night, he only played 19 minutes and scored 5 points and committed 5 turnovers. Marial Mading started in his place. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing. A third-year player who spent 2 seasons in the Big 12 shouldn't be struggling to find minutes on a juco team during a transfer year.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Totally initially read this as "Chipotle game film" and was wondering why you were bringing Andre Almeida into the conversation all of a sudden.

Ha!  Autocorrect actually made the change to “Chipotle,” when I wrote that post, and I had to manually change it back!

17 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Appears Lat's fallen out of the starting lineup.  Monday night, he only played 19 minutes and scored 5 points and committed 5 turnovers. Marial Mading started in his place. Hopefully this is just a temporary thing. A third-year player who spent 2 seasons in the Big 12 shouldn't be struggling to find minutes on a juco team during a transfer year.

Maybe that playing time is because he made a visit to Lincoln over the weekend, instead of practicing with his team?

Doesn’t Marial Mading always start?
But the turnovers and low points do raise a flag.

54 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Looks like he started and had 14 points a day later, so definitely temporary.