Jump to content

Nebraska (11-1) vs. Michigan St. (7-5) Game Thread


Recommended Posts

That’s a good point about Yori - she didn’t tolerate lack of hustle.  Or lack of effort.  I remember a few transfers that were rumored to have those issues.  Slightly more than a rumor - heard it from a dad of one of the players.
Also my opinion in the Coach Yori comments: Coach Yori recruited Nicea, and one thing I loved about her was that she was exactly that kind of coach. Nicea has always thrived on hard-nosed coaching like that. But also it's disrespectful to what Amy has built in her short tenure. We are 11-2 and have made the NCAA tourney before. What I would like to see out of coach Amy and her staff is personally challenging these girls to get effing tougher!! Maybe incorporate drills in practice that has them diving on the floor for loose balls; running (as punishment) every time a rebound isn't grabbed. Just get that as*hole in them. We need a "McCutcheon" on our team. A girl who refuses to lose without going down swinging. Our girls LIKE to win; but are like "meh" when they lose. They don't HATE losing. That's what it takes to be successful in the B1G. Its literally the best women's basketball conference in the country. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Also my opinion in the Coach Yori comments: Coach Yori recruited Nicea, and one thing I loved about her was that she was exactly that kind of coach. Nicea has always thrived on hard-nosed coaching lik

Damnit we got screwed at the end of regulation. Then we play like total crap in overtime. Awful pass by Nicea. We just don't play hard enough down the stretch to win games like this. We give up open t

prayers Bug's! hope nothing too serious. 

Posted Images

I have watched a lot of women's BB since NE entered the B1G and I think there are some refs who do not like NE in the B1G and will make calls against NE for that reason. I also think the B1G tends to treat the top teams (Maryland) better. If at the end of the game if this was Maryland, and MSU I would bet money the call would have gone Maryland's way. If you watch other games you can see calls go in their favor. Iowa last year got those type of calls. look at the Iowa game, Doyle toward the end got the benefit of a few calls where there should have been a no call or an offensive foul, but low and behold NE got called for the foul. It is not just WBB, if you watch the men play you can see it there as well. Yup, happens on the football field as well. Volleyball is actually pretty good but we are one of the top teams in the country so they don't have a lot of choice plus I think it is harder to make calls that way in the match.

I do think Connie's teams played with a tougher mental edge. That is something you recruit in a player. I do think we have some on this group but it has to start with the seniors and I do not think our seniors have that edge. Nicea comes close but Amy's teams do not play that way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12% shooting 3's

 

lost the rebounding wars 35-53

 

Pretty much shows our glaring weakness that may not get fixed this year 

 

Going to have to be addressed or forget the B!G crown

 

On the other hand almost won it without the 3 and rebounding...but almost means you lost.

 

Watched the end of regulation on replay...slow motion......thought we got hosed (twice) on the out of bounds play, and the later Bourne foul also. 

MSU didn't have possession when the time out was called. We should have gotten possession. Ball was out of bounds by MSU.

Bourne was going for loose ball..Bourne deflected inbounds pass play by MSU....she had the equal right to the ball   .NO FOUL Bourne didn't push MSU player just to get possession. Looked like Bourne didn't even know MSU player was there. 

 

I think we were pretty much in shock after those things happened. took the win away from us.

Edited by redsteve
Link to post
Share on other sites

Huskers Fall at Michigan State in OT

 

Game Recap & link to Box Score:

https://huskers.com/news/2019/12/31/womens-basketball-huskers-at-michigan-state.aspx

 

Quote

East Lansing, Mich. - Sam Haiby led four Huskers in double figures with 19 points, but the Nebraska women's basketball team suffered a 78-70 overtime loss at Michigan State on Saturday at the Breslin Center.

Nebraska took its first road loss of the season to slip to 11-2 overall and 1-1 in the Big Ten, while the Spartans improved to 6-0 at home on the year to move to 8-5 and 1-1 in the league. Sophomore Nia Clouden led five Spartans in double figures with 16 points and seven assists, while senior point guard Taryn McCutcheon scored all 15 of her points in the game after halftime to help Michigan State rally from a 10-point second-half deficit to victory.

Rebounding was the key stat in the second half and the game, as the Spartans were plus-15 on the boards after halftime, winning the battle 53-35 for the game. In the first half, Michigan State held a 20-17 edge on the boards but trailed 29-23 on the scoreboard.

 

Edited by Red Don
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

yes, the ball went out off of the MSU player but i think the ruling was that she called TO before that

 

 

Whether the timeout came before or after the ball was thrown to the sideline at the end is irrelevant. She only had the ball in the first place because the girl who ultimately called the timeout first passed her the ball while literally laying out of bounds on the baseline.

 

 

===

 

As to the toughness of the team, they aren't as tough as some of Yori's teams but they were at least trying to fight for a while in this game. But you can only get called for a charge while the defender has 2 feet in the restricted zone so many times before you back off and try to completely avoid contact. 

Edited by Blackshirt83
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Do you suppose that Helms will be healthy enough next year to be the point guard of the future

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

i hope New Husker Fan is correct. i really do. as i stated in a couple of earlier posts, i also have read medical articles on the condition that leave me at best, cautiously optimistic. time will tell, i guess. chance of a redshirt this season? but.......if i was coach, i'd still be searching for the best pg i could find that would be willing to come to nebraska. 

Edited by whoopdeedoo
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, whoopdeedoo said:

if i was coach, i'd still be searching for the best pg i could find that would be willing to come to nebraska. 

As I see it this far into the season we do really need a true point guard that can drive, pass well, shoot the 3 and play good defense.  But everybody is looking for that team leader.  Transfers haven't worked too well for us in the past mostly due to injury.  Clark, Stallworth and Hudson come to mind.  That being said maybe the next transfer will work out like Indiana getting Ali Patberg

 

As for our starting point guard the downward spiral continues. I can look past rookie mistakes but not a senior that has played that many minutes.  But I'm not the coach who sees all aspects of a player.  I just hate losing ugly like we did yesterday.  Hopefully the team will be so upset at the loss we will see resolve to not let that happen again. GBR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HUD said:

As I see it this far into the season we do really need a true point guard that can drive, pass well, shoot the 3 and play good defense.  But everybody is looking for that team leader.  Transfers haven't worked too well for us in the past mostly due to injury.  Clark, Stallworth and Hudson come to mind.  That being said maybe the next transfer will work out like Indiana getting Ali Patberg

 

As for our starting point guard the downward spiral continues. I can look past rookie mistakes but not a senior that has played that many minutes.  But I'm not the coach who sees all aspects of a player.  I just hate losing ugly like we did yesterday.  Hopefully the team will be so upset at the loss we will see resolve to not let that happen again. GBR.

 

We do seem to learn from our mistakes. We'll try fix what we can fix..as much as we can.

 

Real tough tenacity ?  I see sparks of it at times. But as already said it's not an apparent characteristic of the team. Won't get into which players do or don't. Not a good practice on this board to name names when dishing out blame. I have too much respect for them....they're doing all they can do. Just don't see any slackers. This ain't the WNBA. The girls are not getting paid.

I get excited too,  when we lose.   Been guilty of spouting off....so a little humility please.  I'm good at whining...have been about rebounding for quite a while.

 

But shooting the 3 consistently.... we usually struggle. Just don't seem to have the shooters for it yet.   And MSU buried us in the overtime with the 3. Just squished us like a bug.

 

This is still a team in the building process. Coach isn't blind to the fact we need shooters. Or an all world point guard, or an All America center, you name it. Porter coming in may be a step forward. If she's as complete a player as Bourne ?....hope so.

Coach seems to be the type of Coach that kids want to play for....some coaches assault the brains out of them...and they don't want to stay on the team.

 

We're still learning how to win.        OK,....done ....on to the next one.

 

 

 

Edited by redsteve
Link to post
Share on other sites

FOOTBALL:    (I know ..womens basketball forum)

 

Speaking of getting hosed at the end of a game......I  thought our MSU game was possibly changed by officials.....but this...

 

Watched the Wisconsin - Oregon football game today....and Wisky got supper hosed. (Wisky out played Oregon, but had 4 turnovers)

 

Anyway, Wisky was going down to hopefully win, near the end of the game (was behind by 1 point I think) and threw a pass that was caught for a first down.......but another Wisky receiver was called for offensive pass interference ...when blocking a DB on the play. The replay showed just that.... a receiver blocking a DB.... total BS call.   Wisky had to punt after penalty...and game over. (Wisky's coach went nuts)

Official not only potentially changed the out come of a game...but a major Bowl game...The Rose Bowl.

 

So we aren't the only ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 3:37 PM, Tom Jones said:

yes, the ball went out off of the MSU player but i think the ruling was that she called TO before that

If that's the case, the refs still effed it up because no one, on either team, ever had control of the loose ball.

 

Can't call TO if you don't control the ball.

 

Hearkens back to a few years ago, primarily in the men's game, when the refs would allow guys flying out of bounds with the ball to call TO.  It took the NCAA/refs about 3 or 4 years to figure that out and make it a 'point of emphasis' to not allow the TO in those situations.

Link to post
Share on other sites

MSU certainly outhustled NU on rebounds and loose balls, but a lot of their offensive rebounds came from MSU aggressively attacking the NU players who got their hands on the ball first.  There were plenty of fouls to be called on MSU in those situations, but the Three Stooges chose to swallow their whistles.  I don't think they called a single foul on MSU in offensive rebounding situations.  Credit to them for continuing to do it when the refs continued to let it go.  That being said, as many have pointed out, NU still failed miserably in aggressively corralling those rebounds even when they knew they were going to get hacked every time with no call.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The officiating crew in this game was incredibly bad. Across the football and basketball games I've watched over this holiday, it's amazing how many of these contests were decided by the officiating crews in blatant ways. 

I was watching HBO Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they had a round table about doing away with video review to improve the "flow of the game" or something like that. I say heck no, not ever. It's such a bummer to watch a game and see this type of thing happen.

So excited about this teams potential though. I watched Verbeek make an outstanding play defensively where she moved out of the way of a MSU player body posting up in the paint and the MSU player fell. Of course those jokers called the foul on Verbeek, but what a great defensive play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hoop_head said:

The officiating crew in this game was incredibly bad. Across the football and basketball games I've watched over this holiday, it's amazing how many of these contests were decided by the officiating crews in blatant ways. 

I was watching HBO Sports with Bryant Gumbel and they had a round table about doing away with video review to improve the "flow of the game" or something like that. I say heck no, not ever. It's such a bummer to watch a game and see this type of thing happen.

So excited about this teams potential though. I watched Verbeek make an outstanding play defensively where she moved out of the way of a MSU player body posting up in the paint and the MSU player fell. Of course those jokers called the foul on Verbeek, but what a great defensive play.

 

ditto!!! i wondered if anyone else caught that. msu player thought she was going to lean into Verbeek, but, Verbeek adjusted and msu player went down by herself!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NUtball said:

MSU certainly outhustled NU on rebounds and loose balls, but a lot of their offensive rebounds came from MSU aggressively attacking the NU players who got their hands on the ball first.  There were plenty of fouls to be called on MSU in those situations, but the Three Stooges chose to swallow their whistles.  I don't think they called a single foul on MSU in offensive rebounding situations.  Credit to them for continuing to do it when the refs continued to let it go.  That being said, as many have pointed out, NU still failed miserably in aggressively corralling those rebounds even when they knew they were going to get hacked every time with no call.

 

It does seem like the officials allow opposing teams to guard the Husker Ladies exceptionally closely (like right in their faces) without calling any fouls, but if we try to guard closely we get the 'reach-in' calls against us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Red Don said:

 

It does seem like the officials allow opposing teams to guard the Husker Ladies exceptionally closely (like right in their faces) without calling any fouls, but if we try to guard closely we get the 'reach-in' calls against us.

On radio they said 2 of the officials have done Final Fours. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

I think getting to the final four as an official is more about who you know than how well you call a game on the court. I heard Matt and Jeff before remark about how we should have a good call to the game because one or two have done a final four. Then only to see them miss some obvious calls. 

They missed calls on both sides of the ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
They missed calls on both sides of the ball. 
Yup. The golden rule in basketball is not to put yourself in a position in which the referees "decide" the game anyway. Lots of individual mistakes were made; and just not great team play overall. Also if either Sam and/or Leigha make both or just go a combined 3/4 on those late FT's we win.. but oh well, on to the next game!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...