Nebraska (11-1) vs. Michigan St. (7-5) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

It’s not a talent issue. It’s a toughness issue.  Some kids need to hate losing more than they do.  Means not being soft with the ball. Means getting key rebounds. Means not settling for mediocre shots or 3s when u can cut harder or post harder and get a better look.  That said overall we r still very young. We are really close.   I like our team 

Still, with competent officiating, the narrative is this: "Wow. I'm glad we were able to beat MSU on the road despite not playing tough, missing key free throws and getting out-rebounded. Thank goodness the officials made the obvious call there with 3.8 seconds left to give us the ball. I'm not sure we could have held on in OT the way things were going." OR

"Wow. I'm glad we were able to beat MSU on the road despite not playing tough, missing key free throws and getting out-rebounded. Thank goodness the officials made the obvious no-call there with 2.2 seconds left to give us the ball. I'm not sure we could have held on in OT the way things were going."

I hope Suzy says "Thanks" to the zebras after that.

Still, with competent officiating, the narrative is this: "Wow. I'm glad we were able to beat MSU on the road despite not playing tough, missing key free throws and getting out-rebounded. Thank goodness the officials made the obvious call there with 3.8 seconds left to give us the ball. I'm not sure we could have held on in OT the way things were going." OR

"Wow. I'm glad we were able to beat MSU on the road despite not playing tough, missing key free throws and getting out-rebounded. Thank goodness the officials made the obvious no-call there with 2.2 seconds left to give us the ball. I'm not sure we could have held on in OT the way things were going."

I hope Suzy says "Thanks" to the zebras after that.
Totally agree

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It’s not a talent issue. It’s a toughness issue.  Some kids need to hate losing more than they do.  Means not being soft with the ball. Means getting key rebounds. Means not settling for mediocre shots or 3s when u can cut harder or post harder and get a better look.  That said overall we r still very young. We are really close.   I like our team 
Also totally agree with this even more!! Definitely not a talent issue.

7 minutes ago, kansashusker said:

Silly comment Carl. Connie is a very good coach.  Coach WIlliams is doing a good job building her program her way. Silly comments like that add nothing to the development of our program.  We are 11-2. Sky isn’t falling 

Its not Silly it's the truth. I don't think the sky is falling but Connie would have these girls way tougher than Amy has been able to do with any team. But I will just sit here and wait for the next game and hopefully the girls watch this game a couple times to see how lazy they look to try and get to a free ball... This is a top 25 team and a dancing team but not with that effort.

28 minutes ago, Actualfacts1 said:

Damnit we got screwed at the end of regulation. Then we play like total crap in overtime. Awful pass by Nicea. We just don't play hard enough down the stretch to win games like this. We give up open three's; don't get after loose balls; and don't rebound for sh*t. This was a game we should've won easily if we do the little things.

The only positive to take from this is hoping it will be a learning experience for the team serving to 'Hone' their sense of 'Urgency' for B1G Games and winning 'Down the Stretch!. The 'Want-To' factor can be more important than the 'Talent' factor for a motivated team.

2 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Then what did they go to the monitor to do to sit there and scratch their nuts and make dinner plans or what

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

My best guess...

Ref 1- “That’s out of bounds on MSU.”

Ref 2- “Yeah but MSU did call a TO and we are playing at their place.”

Ref 1- “Good point... that’s MSU basketball.”

16 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

hope finding a point guard is a high priority with the staff. where's Rachel?😉

I think this is mis-guided; seemingly pointing to one position as a cause for the loss.   If anything, this was a 'Team' loss, highlighted by the absence of a 'sense of urgency.'  I agree with @kansashusker,   this was not a loss because of a lack of talent (I think we were the more talented team on the court), it was apparent that MSU was the more aggressive team and 'wanted' it more.

I think this is mis-guided; seemingly pointing to one position as a cause for the loss.   If anything, this was a 'Team' loss, highlighted by the absence of a 'sense of urgency.'  I agree with [mention=822]kansashusker[/mention],   this was not a loss because of a lack of talent (I think we were the more talented team on the court), it was apparent that MSU was the more aggressive team and 'wanted' it more.
No the point we're trying to make is that we don't have a guard that can handle on ball pressure like we need to have s not singling out one player.

4 minutes ago, Red Don said:

I think this is mis-guided; seemingly pointing to one position as a cause for the loss.   If anything, this was a 'Team' loss, highlighted by the absence of a 'sense of urgency.'  I agree with @kansashusker,   this was not a loss because of a lack of talent (I think we were the more talented team on the court), it was apparent that MSU was the more aggressive team and 'wanted' it more.

heck  no.....that was a team loss. i truly believe coach needs to find a top notch or maybe i should say a very good point guard going forward. whether it be 2021-22? 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

I think this is mis-guided; seemingly pointing to one position as a cause for the loss.   If anything, this was a 'Team' loss, highlighted by the absence of a 'sense of urgency.'  I agree with [mention=822]kansashusker[/mention],   this was not a loss because of a lack of talent (I think we were the more talented team on the court), it was apparent that MSU was the more aggressive team and 'wanted' it more.
I can see both sides of the "argument". I actually think we have 2 great point guards in Hannah and Sam. What they're lacking right now though is basketball IQ in late game situations. Sam is still young; Hannah didn't quite develop into the leader she needs to be (though it's still not too late bc she has definitely has it in her). Some of these are intangibles; but some of it is coaching as well.

I can see both sides of the "argument". I actually think we have 2 great point guards in Hannah and Sam. What they're lacking right now though is basketball IQ in late game situations. Sam is still young; Hannah didn't quite develop into the leader she needs to be (though it's still not too late bc she has definitely has it in her). Some of these are intangibles; but some of it is coaching as well.

In Hannah's case she was converted into a point guard. Not sure if Sam is a true pg or not when she came in.