3s before the New Year

AuroranHusker

Happy to see Kavas knock some down.  I will be the first to say that I was very critical of him early this year.  His job is to knock them down.  He wasn’t doing that early (sub 30 percent range).  However, for us to win some games, we need him and others to knock them down.

Thor still shooting near 46% after struggling a little bit the past two games.  That’s amazing to see and a big kudos to Thor.

Honestly would like to see us shoot the ball a little more when we are open on breaks.  We tend to pump fake, drive, and either turn it over or miss a tough lay-up.  Be aggressive getting to the rim, sure, but don’t be afraid to shoot either.

Gonna shoehorn my lineup post into this end of the year thread.

Since the Green suspension and the Curtis transfer our lineups have shifted slightly and we've gone away from the 4 guard lineup.

The 5 remains a timeshare between Yvan and Cross with Kavas available if we really want to go small ball.

The 4 is now a timeshare between Thor and Kavas

Guards 1-3 are split between our 4 guards in Mack, Burke, Cheatham, and Green. Easley also for spot minutes.

Arop brings rebounding to the table and possibly outside shooting but it seems unlikely he is going to crack the rotation this year unless we lose another player and it would probably need to be a 4/5.

@hskr4life mentioned Thor's 3 point percentage and it got me curious.  Looking at KenPom it turns out Thor is the 78th best 3 point shooter by percentage in the country right now.

Other national ranks of note:

Yvan has the 84th best offensive rebounding percentage in the country.  (Not sure honestly what that stat means)

Dachon is #54 in turnover percentage

Cam Mack is #29 in assist rate (probably should be higher if the other guys could hit their bunnies)

On 12/31/2019 at 1:03 PM, 49r said:

@hskr4life mentioned Thor's 3 point percentage and it got me curious.  Looking at KenPom it turns out Thor is the 78th best 3 point shooter by percentage in the country right now.

Yvan has the 84th best offensive rebounding percentage in the country.  (Not sure honestly what that stat means)

Cam Mack is #29 in assist rate (probably should be higher if the other guys could hit their bunnies)

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but man, if they could finish at the rim, they'd probably have easily have won the 3 close losses.  So many misses - you would think a couple of them per game would somehow find a way through the net.

P.S.:  Shooting FTs better than a blind man facing the wrong way wouldn't hurt either.

Ah, the perpetual frustration of Nebrasketball fandom.

1 hour ago, NUtball said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but man, if they could finish at the rim, they'd probably have easily have won the 3 close losses.  So many misses - you would think a couple of them per game would somehow find a way through the net.

P.S.:  Shooting FTs better than a blind man facing the wrong way wouldn't hurt either.

Ah, the perpetual frustration of Nebrasketball fandom.

I think you are selling the blind man short

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 12:03 PM, 49r said:

Thorir keeps climbing up the KenPom charts.  As of now, he is:

27th nationally in 3point percentage

33rd nationally in effective FG percentage

46th nationally in true shooting percentage

5 hours ago, 49r said:

Last I checked, Thor was 3rd in the B1G at roughly 48% for 3FG%. Pretty amazing transformation this off-season to become a deep three-point threat, even.

8 hours ago, 49r said:

Never thought we’d have a sniper in Thor, but combined with his high BBall IQ, we have quite a player.

Would be damn proud if Thor was part of our first NCAA win next year.  It’ll be stretching it.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:59 PM, hskr4life said:

Never thought we’d have a sniper in Thor, but combined with his high BBall IQ, we have quite a player.

Would be damn proud if Thor was part of our first NCAA win next year.  It’ll be stretching it.

If Thor was to hit the game winner in Nebraska's first ever NCAA win...well, if Kent's call on the radio wasn't ranked among the greatest in history, I'd be disappointed.