IOWA GAME THREAD 12 28 19

redsteve

2 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

You can say that we benefited from Dolyes foul trouble, but Iowa got the lead with Doyle on the bench, but we got the lead and kept it with Doyle playing.

One could also say we benefited by Doyles 4-15 shooting.  ... Not really a team leader stat that helps win games.  It's almost like she lets the old "I left NU" thing get to her when we play...it's in her head.

Anyway....a very good win that was well played.  We deserved to win. We were the better team today....Enough said.

Edited by redsteve

A few quotes from Czinano and Blunder.

At the end of the day, we lost this game and it's probably one we should have gotten," Czinano said. "Credit to Nebraska, they played a good game, but it still stings."

QUOTING COACH BLUDER
"We didn't shoot the ball as well as we're capable of. We had good looks that didn't go down and sometimes that happens on the road."

"Their defense was good, they forced us into a lot of turnovers and they scored off those," Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder said. "They used those opportunities; credit to them for doing that."

10 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The Huskers jumped 31 spots in the Realtime RPI from 101 to 70. Iowa drops three spots from 16 to 19.

RPI Rk Big Ten Conf All RPI SOS Rk SOS
    15  Purdue 1-0   10-3  0.6540 16  0.6079
    16  Northwestern 1-0   11-1  0.6531 32  0.5791
    17  Indiana 0-0   10-2  0.6515 19  0.6043
    19  Iowa 0-1   9-3  0.6370 25  0.5958
    26  Ohio St. 0-1   7-5  0.6169 4  0.6357
    29  Minnesota 1-0   11-1  0.6146 108  0.5279
    30  Rutgers 1-0   11-1  0.6132 155  0.5051
    40  Michigan 0-0   9-2  0.5999 72  0.5482
    44  Maryland 0-0   9-2  0.5964 105  0.5299
    70  Nebraska 1-0   11-1  0.5668 236  0.4710
    88  Wisconsin 0-1   8-4  0.5530 107  0.5290
    126  Michigan St. 0-0   7-4  0.5241 172  0.4988
    137  Illinois 0-1   9-3  0.5185 226  0.4760
    215  Penn St. 0-1   6-6  0.4650 201  0.4867

Our Huskers made the front page of the sports section of the OWH this morning, about beating Iowa. Our ladies are pretty proud of the win, and feels like it's an important step forward for the team.

There's a first... that I've never seen about the NU women's team... a great full page picture of the team celebrating after the game. (click it to enlarge)

Doyle even gave us some credit for our tough defense.

Nice article...but it's in the paper or on line...both subscription. 

nu vs iowa 12 28 19 pix.jpg

Edited by redsteve

Lot's to unpack with this game.

We won quarters 2,3&4 because we started attacking the glass.  Most particularly the offensive glass in the second half.  They dominated the glass in q1.

Iowa's point guard sitting had no bearing on the game.  We stretched the lead from 3 to 11 with her in. Add to that little miss flop got to the line 3 times on clean stuffings and a forth ( I admit Kate hit her arm, but she did jump in to Kate).  6 of her points were officiating gifts.

Now to are side, I thought Kate did a great job most notably getting back in transition. She did much better with that than I expected.  That's why she gets my game ball. Nicea was the next closest with the stout d.

We got contributions from unexpected sources which is most welcome, as Miss Brown and Miss Verbeek had relatively quiet nights for them.  

Finally Miss Bourne wow does she have some athleticism.  We need her to aggressive up more frequently.

The officiating OMG.  Teams get full time outs for a shoe lace AYKM.  Other than the inconsistency on calls, the rewarding of flops and do we know what a walk is.

All in all good win.  GBR

3 hours ago, caveman said:

Lot's to unpack with this game.

We won quarters 2,3&4 because we started attacking the glass.  Most particularly the offensive glass in the second half.  They dominated the glass in q1.

Iowa's point guard sitting had no bearing on the game.  We stretched the lead from 3 to 11 with her in. Add to that little miss flop got to the line 3 times on clean stuffings and a forth ( I admit Kate hit her arm, but she did jump in to Kate).  6 of her points were officiating gifts.

Now to are side, I thought Kate did a great job most notably getting back in transition. She did much better with that than I expected.  That's why she gets my game ball. Nicea was the next closest with the stout d.

We got contributions from unexpected sources which is most welcome, as Miss Brown and Miss Verbeek had relatively quiet nights for them.  

Finally Miss Bourne wow does she have some athleticism.  We need her to aggressive up more frequently.

The officiating OMG.  Teams get full time outs for a shoe lace AYKM.  Other than the inconsistency on calls, the rewarding of flops and do we know what a walk is.

All in all good win.  GBR

I said at the beginning of the thread when I seen who the refs were. That it wasn't going to be a fair game, two of the three just refuse to call fouls.

4 hours ago, redsteve said:

Our Huskers made the front page of the sports section of the OWH this morning, about beating Iowa. Our ladies are pretty proud of the win, and feels like it's an important step forward for the team.

There's a first that I've never seen about NU women's team... a great full page picture of the team celebrating after the game. (click it to enlarge)

Doyle even gave us some credit for our tough defense.

Nice article...but it's in the paper or on line...both subscription. 

nu vs iowa 12 28 19 pix.jpg

To add on the Iowa quote's here's some of what Blunder said.

For Iowa coach Lisa Bluder, it was the Huskers’ ball pressure that put the Hawkeyes in an uncomfortable position.

“They did a good job of denying one pass away pretty well. I thought they did a good job of forcing us a little bit out of our rhythm,” Bluder said.

On 12/28/2019 at 3:37 PM, kansashusker said:

This is certainly the most talented and versatile team coach WIlliams has had at Nebraska and if they play up to their ability should clearly be the best team she has had also.  The 17-18 team wasn’t nearly as talented but had exceptional grit and toughness. If this team can harness some of that toughness they have a chance to finish top 4 in the league and make a round of 32 appearance in the NCAA tourney and possibly a sweet 16 run if they get a good draw. They have a lot of work to do but it is certainly possible if they continue to improve and stay healthy 

No Doubt @kansashusker!  Up to now they've been a 'Dark Horse' and Sam (McKeown) has said they are a 'Bubble. Team'   By season's-end I think they are Contenders!

I also liked the 16-17 team that was 'Grit; No Quit' to hang in there and keep playing despite all the losses.  The game vs Indiana (2/19/17 -  'Pink Game') W, 67-64); is particularly memorable;  When they learned They Could WIN!

image.png

IT MUST BE THE SHOES!!!!!

Edited by Red Don