IOWA GAME THREAD 12 28 19

redsteve

Very nice win.  Beat Iowa...congratulations and thank you ladies. You were awesome. Played tough and hard every minute. 

Our depth was the difference...really slowed down Iowa in the second half.  And maybe I'm wrong...but seemed like our overall talent maybe was a little better than Iowa too.

They seemed to panic when they couldn't over take us. They expected us to fade....no chance of that happening !!

This obviously is Coach Amy's best team. It's taken a while, but she essentially started from scratch with some newbies...and here we are.... tough and competitive.

Good plays by many players at different times...everyone contributed....a real TEAM win  

Edited by redsteve

one thing I forgot to mention during the game was we actually had some players getting down and dirty on the floor and Kane showed a little better want to today on that one tie up that she had when she came off the floor the the side behind the bench gave her a standing ovation

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

interesting stats from the box score.

We had a better percentage shooting, both the 2's and 3 pointers. but close overall. We outscored them in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th qtr's

Our bench outscored their bench 24 to 9 ...I think it was.  Coach's play everyone scheme works !  ....even if we (this board) ...were not used to it at first  :)

Rebounds about the same. I thought Izzy's blast in the 2nd qtr I think it was.....shocked Iowa. It seemed to turn the tide.

4th qtr....Iowa only had 5 baskets..10 points....(and had 11 more points.. free throws). Observation: Iowa wasn't going to win without buckets from the floor. 

And a huge deal I kind of missed during the game  ...Nebraska won the turnover battle 18-13 while outscoring the Hawkeyes 24-9 off those turnovers. (Husker.com)

Edited by redsteve

Nice victory.  We benefited from Doyle’s early foul trouble.  She is a fine player.  We kept Meier in check but the Warnock girl was very impressive off the bench.  Second half was better on the boards and I think we forced more turnovers than we committed.  Bourne, in my view, is a very good player, the most skilled of all our front court players.  

We need to clean up our end of Quarter play, post entry passing and rebounding.

Michigan State will be a stern exam. 

Huskers Fight Past Iowa, 78-69

image.png

Kate Cain notched a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds

Game Recap & link to Box Score:

https://huskers.com/news/2019/12/28/womens-basketball-wbb-recap.aspx

Box Score Lincoln - Kate Cain produced her first double-double of the season with 16 points and a season-high 12 rebounds to lead five Huskers in double figures, as Nebraska battled to a 78-69 women's basketball win over Iowa at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Saturday afternoon. 

Cain, a junior center from Middletown, N.Y., hit 6-of-11 shots from the field and helped the Huskers seal the win in their Big Ten Conference opener by hitting four straight free throws in the fourth quarter as Nebraska improved to 11-1 on the season. Iowa slipped to 9-3 on the season and 0-1 in the Big Ten.

Senior Nicea Eliely added a strong game with 12 points, four rebounds and a game-high five assists without a turnover to help the Huskers. Fellow senior Hannah Whitish contributed 11 points, three rebounds and three assists without a turnover, as Nebraska won the turnover battle 18-13 while outscoring the Hawkeyes 24-9 off those turnovers.

This is certainly the most talented and versatile team coach WIlliams has had at Nebraska and if they play up to their ability should clearly be the best team she has had also.  The 17-18 team wasn’t nearly as talented but had exceptional grit and toughness. If this team can harness some of that toughness they have a chance to finish top 4 in the league and make a round of 32 appearance in the NCAA tourney and possibly a sweet 16 run if they get a good draw. They have a lot of work to do but it is certainly possible if they continue to improve and stay healthy 

Edited by kansashusker

Here's is what was said about Cain in one post.

Hawks need to bounce back with a win at home New Years eve. Hawks never play worth a dam in fusker land. Hawks should of beat them by easily. Kate Cain is a terrible post player. What a clod!

And another from one of the two guys that posted in the game thread. and then there was a guy trolling them.

This is a game you need to watch and turn off the volume. Man those guys are big time homers. sheesh. Lay it on thick fusker guy.

Coatney & Gresch did the PBP today. So yeah, they will be homers.

Edited by Bugeaters1

54 minutes ago, redsteve said:

interesting stats from the box score.

We had a better percentage shooting, both the 2's and 3 pointers. but close overall. We outscored them in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th qtr's

Our bench outscored them 24 to 9 ...I think it was.  Coach's play everyone scheme works !  ....even if we (this board) ...were not used to it at first  :)

Rebounds about the same. I thought Izzy's blast in the 2nd qtr I think it was.....shocked Iowa. It seemed to turn the tide.

4th qtr....Iowa only had 5 baskets..10 points....(and had 11 more points.. free throws). Observation: Iowa wasn't going to win without buckets from the floor. 

And a huge deal I kind of missed during the game  ...Nebraska won the turnover battle 18-13 while outscoring the Hawkeyes 24-9 off those turnovers. (Husker.com)

When Izzy hit those trey's Blunder's look was priceless.

42 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Nice victory.  We benefited from Doyle’s early foul trouble.  She is a fine player.  We kept Meier in check but the Warnock girl was very impressive off the bench.  Second half was better on the boards and I think we forced more turnovers than we committed.  Bourne, in my view, is a very good player, the most skilled of all our front court players.  

From where you sit Cazzie, I'm sure u can see coach doing the box out motion. She keep saying as she walked by the players on the bench BOX OUT, BOX OUT.

46 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

iowa could be pretty darn good next season with Clark, Warnock, and their post.

just got home in time to listen to post game. sounds like the whole staff did a great job of putting together a game plan----and, the players followed through!

Edited by whoopdeedoo

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

You can say that we benefit from Dolyes foul trouble, but Iowa g

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Here's is what was said about Cain in one post.

Hawks need to bounce back with a win at home New Years eve. Hawks never play worth a dam in fusker land. Hawks should of beat them by easily. Kate Cain is a terrible post player. What a clod!

And another from one of the two guys that posted in the game thread. and then there was a guy trolling them.

This is a game you need to watch and turn off the volume. Man those guys are big time homers. sheesh. Lay it on thick fusker guy.

Coatney & Gresch did the PBP today. So yeah, they will be homers.

Nice win today.  Bothers the inbreds to the east to lose to us.  Just need to remind them, they have bad corn.