Manhattan (3-6) vs. Nebraska (9-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

19 minutes ago, redsteve said:

Don't look too bad to me...Manhattan is playing tight defense.....we're hitting 3s...and NU now leads by almost 20.

Is this the Duke board now....?   :)

^^^^^^^

OK ...take that back....SLOPPY play now ...by both teams 

:Lol:  (Just got back to a 20 pt lead! 57-37)

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

Have the feeling Coach gave Brown the go ahead to shoot the 3

10-1 after pre season....real nice for the team.. Have certainly improved. Congratulations ladies !

Izzy...7 rebounds in only 18 min...the girl can play. 

Welcome back Trinity !

And it looks like Izzy does hardly put any effort out while playing. She has a very high Basketball IQ. I was on the fan cam today, man that looks awful.

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

Will need someone to be a three threat without Kissinger this year. Schedule gets tougher here on out. 

with TK done, i think the huskers are going to need Brown to be more of a consistent scorer. i've noticed she seems to play "out-of-control" at times. especially against more talented teams. she just needs to follow that old saying..."let the game come to you".

2 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

with TK done, i think the huskers are going to need Brown to be more of a consistent scorer. i've noticed she seems to play "out-of-control" at times. especially against more talented teams. she just needs to follow that old saying..."let the game come to you".

Agree, I wonder if that is why she comes off of the bench. Coach said that she is working with Brown on her foot work more now that she will become the 3 pt shooter.

Brown Shoots Huskers Past Jaspers

image.png

Game Recap & link to Box Score:

https://huskers.com/news/2019/12/22/womens-basketball-brown-shoots-huskers-past-jaspers.aspx

Lincoln - Leigha Brown scored 12 of her season-high 25 points in the second quarter to help Nebraska roll to a 71-51 win over visiting Manhattan on Sunday at Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Brown, who tied a career high with four three-pointers including three in the second quarter, helped Nebraska close non-conference play with a 10-1 record. Brown pitched in five rebounds and four assists, while fellow sophomore Sam Haiby added 10 points and six assists. Junior center Kate Cain contributed 13 points and a season-high-tying eight rebounds to help Nebraska produce a commanding 47-32 edge on the boards against the Jaspers..

I can't believe that whoopdeedoo thinks Brown needs to be more of a consistent scorer.  She's the most consistent scorer we have and top scorer.  If you want to talk about a player that is not consistent, then look at Whitish.  Brown should be getting more minutes and starting and Whitish getting less and not starting.  Does Brown get out of control  sometimes? Yes but I'd rather have that because she creates her own shots and draws lots of fouls and scores. By the way, Brown only has 9 turnovers to Whitish's 23 turnovers.  Brown helps us get to  the free throw line with all the fouls on her.  She is 46-57 for 80.7% compared to Whitish's 4-4 ( and 4 free throws  were in one game and were  2 intentional fouls). I would think it's almost impossible to be the starting point guard and play the most minutes and yet only have taken 4 free throws 11 games in.  That is not good.  Whitish cannot create her own shot.  She is strictly a 3 pt. shooter if someone feeds her and she only shoots .339% compared to Brown's 31.3%. If the coach wants to work with somebody on shooting 3's it should be Eliely who shoots .125%. And Red Steve, I think Brown has always had the go ahead to shoot 3's if she's open. Why wouldn''t she?

52 minutes ago, longtimefan said:

I can't believe that whoopdeedoo thinks Brown needs to be more of a consistent scorer.  She's the most consistent scorer we have and top scorer.  If you want to talk about a player that is not consistent, then look at Whitish.  Brown should be getting more minutes and starting and Whitish getting less and not starting.  Does Brown get out of control  sometimes? Yes but I'd rather have that because she creates her own shots and draws lots of fouls and scores. By the way, Brown only has 9 turnovers to Whitish's 23 turnovers.  Brown helps us get to  the free throw line with all the fouls on her.  She is 46-57 for 80.7% compared to Whitish's 4-4 ( and 4 free throws  were in one game and were  2 intentional fouls). I would think it's almost impossible to be the starting point guard and play the most minutes and yet only have taken 4 free throws 11 games in.  That is not good.  Whitish cannot create her own shot.  She is strictly a 3 pt. shooter if someone feeds her and she only shoots .339% compared to Brown's 31.3%. If the coach wants to work with somebody on shooting 3's it should be Eliely who shoots .125%. And Red Steve, I think Brown has always had the go ahead to shoot 3's if she's open. Why wouldn''t she?

I have also felt Whitish is very inconsistent and sometimes “disappears” in games.  I’ve wondered why Brown doesn’t start - maybe her defense?  But what we get in scoring from her would seem to offset any issues she might have on D.  

3 hours ago, huskerchode said:

I have also felt Whitish is very inconsistent and sometimes “disappears” in games.  I’ve wondered why Brown doesn’t start - maybe her defense?  But what we get in scoring from her would seem to offset any issues she might have on D.  

Whitish defense is no better than Brown's. The only player who plays good defense on this team is Eliely

1 hour ago, Red Don said:

This is probably why Hannah Starts.

I knew someone would probably throw this out here.  However, I'm judging players on what their doing now, now in the past.  As I stated, Whitish is currently averaging 7.6 points, shooting 33.9% from 3 point line and playing 27.7 min. per game.  Last year she averaged 10.1, shooting 36.7% from 3 and 29.5 min..  In 2017-18 she averaged 12.6 points, 38.0% from 3 and 31.0 minutes.  In 2016-17 she averaged 9.0, shooting 40.7% from 3 and 25.1 minutes per game.  My point being, she's regressing.  Why?  I don't know.  Am I glad she's on the team? Yes, I just think that Brown deserves more playing time and should start.  When Brown's in there, our offense looks better.  She's like the everready  bunny.  She's moving all the time and making things happen.

well, even coach williams has stated they need to find a more consistent scorer. you know, reach those double figures. no doubt, brown can light it up..........at times. hannah is a senior now and we pretty much know what to expect from her. she is gonna score at times.........and, have a stretch where you wonder where she is. brown's defense is pretty suspect, at least so far. during coach williams career, she has always stressed defense. i think it was when the class of 2018 came in, a couple of players made a statement about coach never telling them the first couple weeks would be all about defense (think it was mershon and haiby). although, i think it was a bit of a lighthearted statement by the players......but, it was still true. i am sure they will still work on brown's defense, but, i also kinda took it coach is gonna let her concentrate more on her offensive abilities. no doubt eliely has been their best defensive player and still is.

Edited by whoopdeedoo

18 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Hope we pull away in the 3rd quarter.  I'd like to see Brady and Helms get some extra minutes.

with Helms condition, i just get the feeling this is about what you're going to see out of helms. 3-5 minutes. it would be interesting to know just how much she does in practice during the week? like i stated before, according to article i read, there is no cure.....you just try to manage the pain. i know she had made a statement after one game that it was the first time she played without pain......but, i also believe much of that had to do with her short stint on the floor. 

Ladies did quite well to go thru the non-con with only one loss.  Just a general "duh" observation there.  Looking forward to seeing how they compete with the B1G.  Yes there are some weaknesses as has been noted, so we'll see what coaches and players alike can do to compensate for those, or show improvement in those areas.  GBR!

I personally like Brown coming off the bench with the group of girls she comes in with. I do think she should be starting but with the way the 1st group and 2nd group of girls are setup I think it works best for her to come off the bench. When you play as many girls as Amy does if all the scorers play first there is not going to be anyone coming in to score with the 2nd group it would just be a defensive team in there for those minutes.