2020 PF Juco Lat Mayen - Signed

hhcmatt

22 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Does this young man start for his JUCO?  How many minutes does he get per game?  What are his qualities/strengths that will translate into Big Ten quality big man?  

His juco does a lot of giving guys minutes spread out.  He has started 14 of 16 games and leads the team in minutes per game at 20.6.  He is 6th in points at 9.6, 1st in rebounds 7.9, and getting 3 ast per game.  He shares a lot of minutes with his 4 star teammate Marial Mading who plays a very similar position. He is the ultimate stretch 4 that provides length on the defensive end to guard the 4 or 5 but on offense gives us a big that can handle the ball and shoot from distance while also providing a post presence when needed.  With Fred wanting "position less" basketball he provides us a guy that can do just that for the team with not needing to play just one position.

18 hours ago, TheKamdyMan said:

He shares a lot of minutes with his 4 star teammate Marial Mading who plays a very similar position.

Were we on Mayen before we went out to see Mading or did we just happen to see Mayen while we were out there for Mading? That would be a question for Matt A once he signs on the dotted line.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Lat's averaged a double-double since we last posted in this thread 14/10 a game across 10 games. Averaging 15/9 a game in conf. Shooting 46/38/83. 

The idea of a husker making 8 outta every ten free throws they shoot seems like a dream. To think teddy Allen might be able to make 9 outta every ten has me giddy. 

Skeptical of both our JUCO commits and the role they will play. I think Teddy Allen is being wildly over hyped (to be clear I think he will be a starter and good player but maybe not a world beater like some) and im not sold that Lat Mayen will crack the rotation. If he does that means he beat out most or all of the following players at the 4 or 5: Yvan Ouedraogo, Derrick Walker, Kevin Cross, and Akol Arop and possibly, depending on how they are used, Shamiel Stevenson and Dalano Banton.

But im all for competition so bring it on!

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Skeptical of both our JUCO commits and the role they will play. I think Teddy Allen is being wildly over hyped (to be clear I think he will be a starter and good player but maybe not a world beater like some) and im not sold that Lat Mayen will crack the rotation. If he does that means he beat out most or all of the following players at the 4 or 5: Yvan Ouedraogo, Derrick Walker, Kevin Cross, and Akol Arop and possibly, depending on how they are used, Shamiel Stevenson and Dalano Banton.

I don’t think we need either to be “world beaters” more so just capable pieces of the rotation.  As long as Mack,Thor,cross,Ivan come back next year our rotation should be pretty solid I think 

On 2/17/2020 at 6:44 PM, khoock said:

Disagree on Teddy. I’m not saying he will be an All-American, but if they can keep his head on straight he is going to be a very good player for us.  His skill set is pretty special. 

I don’t know as much about Mayen but at his length and ability to hit the 3 ball will be a welcomed addition id imagine. 

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I don’t know as much about Mayen but at his length and ability to hit the 3 ball will be a welcomed addition id imagine. 

Think of Mayen as a roster replacement for Kavas. 

• Mayen is taller 6-9 vs. 6-7, and because of that length, likely has a broader wingspan as well
  • Mayen has shot 35 percent (TCU) and 38 percent (JUCO) from deep. Can he shoot better than Kavas did for us (34 percent)?
  • Mayen has shot 78 percent (TCU) and 83 percent (JUCO) from FT line. Can he shoot better than Kavas did for us (68 percent)?
  • Mayen is averaging 8.5 rebounds per game (JUCO) and he averaged 9.0 rebounds per 100 possessions at TCU. Can he rebound at a higher rate than Kavas did for us (4.5 rebounds per 100 possessions)?
  • Can he guard better? Is he quicker? Can he guard 3 through 5? He's certainly taller?

I would think that Mayen should bring more to the table than Kavas did this year. So even if he settles into a Matej-like role (10-15 minutes a game), I feel they'll be more productive than this year. He should be part of the rotation at 4-5, along with Stevenson, Walker, Cross, Ouedraogo and possibly Arop.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...