2020 PF Juco Lat Mayen - Signed

hhcmatt

34 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

So. Akol redshirts next year I'd assume? 

Front court minutes are going to be hard to come by now. Two solid 5s in Yvan and Walker and 3 guys who can play the 4 (Cross, Mayen, Stevenson). Banton can play anywhere on the court practically from 1-4. 

Cross, Mayen, Stevenson, Banton, Arop, AND Teddy Allen are all candidates to get time at the 4 next year. 

56 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Front court minutes are going to be hard to come by now. Two solid 5s in Yvan and Walker and 3 guys who can play the 4 (Cross, Mayen, Stevenson). Banton can play anywhere on the court practically from 1-4. 

only guys you’ll see redshirt under Hoiberg will be because the NCAA makes them for transfers or injuries. He’s not going to waste a roster spot on a guy that can’t get minutes. I realize that’s the old conventional thought but that’s no longer something we need to consider. 

8 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

we don’t need long 4’s that can stretch the floor? We need lots of guys like this going forward. 

I listed 5 other players that have been thought to be able to fill that need/play that position, which is why i also stated I wonder what that means for some of the current players aka the 5 i listed. Whether that means certain players leaving or the staff seeing some players best at other positions. Thats all i was getting at.

Edited by khoock

1 minute ago, khoock said:

I listed 5 other players that have been thought to be able to fill that need/play that position, which is why i also stated I wonder what that means for some of the current players aka the 5 i listed. Whether that means certain players leaving or the staff seeing some players best at other positions.

walker and cross are 5’s. Stevenson is an undersized 4 for matchup problems and Mayen will be a stretch 4 to create the opposite effect with his length. You need multiple type of guys to play. It’s how you build a lineup with a lot of depth and flexibility. You need to give guys a break and not fall off like we have in the past. We are seeing that come to fruition for the future. 

6 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

walker and cross are 5’s. Stevenson is an undersized 4 for matchup problems and Mayen will be a stretch 4 to create the opposite effect with his length. You need multiple type of guys to play. It’s how you build a lineup with a lot of depth and flexibility. You need to give guys a break and not fall off like we have in the past. We are seeing that come to fruition for the future. 

Derrick Walker and Yvan Ouedraogo are the 5's in this system. 

Kevin Cross, Shamiel Stevenson, Akol Arop, Dalano Banton, Teddy Allen, and now Lat Mayen have all been mentioned in some capacity as being able to play the 4. Hoiberg is probably only gonna play an eight man rotation and only two guys at the "4" position; though as we have mentioned, alot of these parts will be interchangeable. The addition of Mayen signals to me that the staff thinks someone listed above isnt cut out to fulfill what they want at the 4 spot or that they see some of these players being best utilized somewhere else. Also the possibility of attrition.

14 minutes ago, khoock said:

Derrick Walker and Yvan Ouedraogo are the 5's in this system. 

Kevin Cross, Shamiel Stevenson, Akol Arop, Dalano Banton, Teddy Allen, and now Lat Mayen have all been mentioned in some capacity as being able to play the 4. Hoiberg is probably only gonna play an eight man rotation and only two guys at the "4" position; though as we have mentioned, alot of these parts will be interchangeable. The addition of Mayen signals to me that the staff thinks someone listed above isnt cut out to fulfill what they want at the 4 spot or that they see some of these players being best utilized somewhere else. Also the possibility of attrition.

fred was regularly playing 9 guys at Iowa State with 9 or more minutes per game. I highly doubt he trims it down and gets more conservative than he has in the past. 

Edited by TheKamdyMan

9 minutes ago, TheKamdyMan said:

fred was regularly playing 9 guys at Iowa State with 9 or more minutes per game. I highly doubt he trims it down and gets more conservative than he has in the past. 

You are correct that he had a 9th guy that played semi regularly. But if i recall correctly (could be wrong), that 9th guy was usually in the 17 to 22 game range. Meaning they didnt play every game. Similar to what we will see Charlie Easley play this season or what Samari Curtis' role would have been before he transferred.

He plays a 7-8 man rotation (every game; heavy minutes) with an additional player that plays 20-ish games in that 8-10 mpg range. What role that player was used in (injuries, matchups, foul trouble, suspensions, etc.) I have no idea.

Edited by khoock

2 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Dont know how likely it is, but I would love to see that. If Hoiberg and Co. really do believe in his elite level athleticism, he could be worth the five years on scholarship. Not that its probably worth anything, but being a local kid doesnt hurt either.

Roster attrition will occur, but as it stands now id like to see Akol redshirt with a sit out transfer guard (preferably a freshman to help balance out the classes). Green, Burke, and Thorbjarnarson will all be senior guards next season and theres the possibility of Cam Mack leaving that year too.

30 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Cam 6’2”
Mayen 6’9”

Banton 6’9”

Allen 6’5”

Stevenson 6’6”

Crazy versatility.  I think Mayen is a guard.  Very similar to Banton.  We could potentially play positionless basketball at the 2-5 next year.  

Starting to remind me of those long  Baylor/Syracuse teams. Let’s play zone

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

He's a solid rebounder who hits for better than 40% from three. Both of those are things we need.

As I stated already, many of us on here thought we had one or both of those needs filled by certain players that are currently sitting out (i.e Dalano Banton and Shamiel Stevenson) or that will be here next year (i.e Teddy Allen) or that are being developed in our younger guys (i.e Kevin Cross and Akol Arop).

But I guess rebounding and shooting are two things you can never have too much of.

5 hours ago, khoock said:

As I stated already, many of us on here thought we had one or both of those needs filled by certain players that are currently sitting out (i.e Dalano Banton and Shamiel Stevenson) or that will be here next year (i.e Teddy Allen) or that are being developed in our younger guys (i.e Kevin Cross and Akol Arop).

But I guess rebounding and shooting are two things you can never have too much of.

don’t think Delano or Shamiel are 40% shooters (especially DB) and Teddy will be a wing. I think Mayan brings something different and could even be a 5 in a small line up. Think he is good depth for length, rebounding, and shooting.

PG - Mack, Green

Wings - Allen, Banton, Shamiel, Burke, Green, Mayan, Thor, Cross, Arop

Post - Walker, Drago, Mayan

most likely 3 of those those guys won’t get much PT unless 1-2 leave. 

I have seen a couple post mentioning Green at the 1.  I haven’t seen it in his game.  To me he looks like a 2.  I have heard Banton has the capability of running the point....he may be the better option to spell Cam.

love the addition of Mayen.  Our size is going to be much different next year.  Hopefully that translates to being better in the boards.

Never underestimate ball handling.  With that lineup I mentioned above, every one of those guys would be comfortable bringing up the ball. That could lead to a ton of mismatches and free throws, not to mention a cure for our rebounding woes.  At the very least, having a lineup of guys that can convert free throws would be hugely beneficial.  A further improved and conditioned Cross would fit right in as well. Defensively, they can switch on everything or, as mentioned above, be a long and annoying zone.  

1 hour ago, busticket said:

I have seen a couple post mentioning Green at the 1.  I haven’t seen it in his game.  To me he looks like a 2.  I have heard Banton has the capability of running the point....he may be the better option to spell Cam.

love the addition of Mayen.  Our size is going to be much different next year.  Hopefully that translates to being better in the boards.

Green has been the back up PG all season except the games he was suspended for and has been decent in that role. Agree Banton will be used in that role also most likely.