2020 PF Juco Lat Mayen - Signed

hhcmatt

Stretch 4. He's 6'9" 210 so he'd play 4-5 for us.

Highly regarded out of Australia, committed to TCU when they had Australian recruiting machine David Patrick.

He redshirted his freshman year and then showed flashes playing sporadically last season before a knee injury ended his season after 17 games. 

He decided to transfer and ended up at Chipola College.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/lat-mayen

Has an outside stroke and can rebound so he has a skill set we're looking for.

Edited by uneblinstu
We Finally Got a Piece of the Pie

If we signed this guy we would be looking at 10 Juniors and Seniors for the class of 2021-22

I'm honestly trying to figure out the angle here. Hoiberg revolutionized basketball by embracing transfers at ISU before they were en vogue. Now that everyone is all in on transfers perhaps he sees an advantage with going heavy on JuCo guys now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, 49r said:

I'm honestly trying to figure out the angle here. Hoiberg revolutionized basketball by embracing transfers before they were en vogue. Perhaps he sees an advantage with going heavy on JuCo guys now?

Year 1 - lose 

Year 2 - NCAA tournamentish

Year 3 - Win NCAA tournament and then leave

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Best case scenario for sure but I'm hoping for more like 5 years with a couple of Sweet 16's in there.

I'm joking of course but Texas Tech was basically an NBA kid (that they sort of lucked into in a sense) surrounded by 3 transfers and an Italian shooter. If we put together some sort of viable team next year I think we could actually look real attractive to a One and done type.

Hoiberg seemed sincere about wanting to coach at NU for a long time. With his family history that isn't far fetched.

As for Lat Mayen, he performed well enough at the Dallas Juco Blowout that he was the first mentioned in the article below. I hope NU could land him, and possibly fellow ranked Juco, Mading, as well as Kai Sotto or Frank Anselem, Alex Tchikou, Zach Clements or Wilhelm Breidenbach. We need two-three big guys who can block and alter shots as well as play the Hoiberg needs them to (shooting effectively). Does anyone know who the last couple of scholarship candidates are most likely to sign, or are there others more likely?

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/1055191

Hoiberg seemed sincere about wanting to coach at NU for a long time. With his family history that isn't far fetched.

As for Lat Mayen, he performed well enough at the Dallas Juco Blowout that he was the first mentioned in the article below. I hope NU could land him, and possibly fellow ranked Juco, Mading, as well as Kai Sotto or Frank Anselem, Alex Tchikou, Zach Clements or Wilhelm Breidenbach. We need two-three big guys who can block and alter shots as well as play the Hoiberg needs them to (shooting effectively). Does anyone know who the last couple of scholarship candidates are most likely to sign, or are there others more likely?

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/news_article/show/1055191
You know dimes and I were just joking around, or at least I hope so.

But given Hoiberg's history one must be prepared for change. We just hope he leaves the program in a better place than he found it is all.

Thx. 49r, I must confess that as a battered, long-suffering Husker fan I sometimes (okay, often) lose sight of nuances and humor. It is a failing of mine.... I just hope Hoiberg continues in his singular vision to raise NU to consistent national prominence.

That said, the perception that he is steely and unwavering in his commitment to put together the absolute best collection of basketball players- no more of having a roster of mere athletes- will necessitate evaluating the roster each season. It is my thought that even though he likes eight man rotations he has never said he considers scholarship players eleven through thirteen throwaways, especially with the natural attrition in today's game. Quite the opposite- having high-quality depth is essential in weathering inevitable injuries and the like.

I don't think Arop will be in uniform next season unless something drastically changes despite hearing about his athletic prowess. If he plays no minutes on a very likely historically bad team it is unlikely he will ever contribute much. Obviously I could be wrong but he was a Miles recruit and save Green, Thorbjarnarson and Burke Jr. everyone else was encouraged to find other opportunities. It just seems scholarships are too precious to have someone occupy one who doesn't play. Would like to know if my thoughts seem reasonable.

If Hoiberg's goal is to get out of Nebraska ASAP there's two ways to accomplish it. Either he loses so much and so badly he gets fired and bought out, or he wins big and gets another NBA shot.

Obviously the second option is better for his bank account and honestly better for us too.

Or, he could be in it for the long haul like he says and we all hope for. And there's only one way to accomplish that goal, which is to build a consistent winning program.

Either way I'm rooting for one of the options where we win lots.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:45 PM, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

I don't think Arop will be in uniform next season unless something drastically changes despite hearing about his athletic prowess. If he plays no minutes on a very likely historically bad team it is unlikely he will ever contribute much. Obviously I could be wrong but he was a Miles recruit and save Green, Thorbjarnarson and Burke Jr. everyone else was encouraged to find other opportunities. It just seems scholarships are too precious to have someone occupy one who doesn't play. Would like to know if my thoughts seem reasonable.

HCFH likes to play 7-9 guys which means 4-6 guys are typically not playing. Unless he's not developing his skill set which seems hard to imagine, it's more like a matter of when than if you'll see him in the rotation.  Is that next year? In two years?

11 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

HCFH likes to play 7-9 guys which means 4-6 guys are typically not playing. Unless he's not developing his skill set which seems hard to imagine, it's more like a matter of when than if you'll see him in the rotation.  Is that next year? In two years?

When Armon Gates filled in on the Husker Hoops Show, he said Akol is the only forward they've got eligible that has elite Big Ten athleticism. Gates said he wasn't worried at all about Akol's attitude. He said he's a great glue and locker room guy and that he's buying into his role. 

16 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

When Armon Gates filled in on the Husker Hoops Show, he said Akol is the only forward they've got eligible that has elite Big Ten athleticism. Gates said he wasn't worried at all about Akol's attitude. He said he's a great glue and locker room guy and that he's buying into his role. 

I dont know that it says much as the 3 forwards sitting out would pass him they second the become eligible, banishing him further down the bench. 

Edited by TheKamdyMan

On 12/24/2019 at 4:48 PM, TheKamdyMan said:

I dont know that it says much as the 3 forwards sitting out would pass him they second the become eligible, banishing him further down the bench. 

If we're talking pure run-jump athleticism, Stevenson is probably the only one who can compete with Akol. Banton is more skilled and longer, but I think Akol is probably more explosive. 

That was the least meaningful part of he comment, though, and it wasn't meant to speak to his spot on the depth chart at all. Obviously the coaches aren't going to publicly say he's not good enough and has a terrible attitude, but Gates spoke highly of how Arop is handling this season and what he's bringing to the locker room. Anybody who watched him play before signing knew he was going to be a project to play at that level, especially in Hoiberg's system. Fred saw enough to accept his commitment, however, whereas he pushed almost everybody out like Penitent pointed out. There's a decent chance Akol doesn't finish his career at Nebraska like there is with any player these days, but I don't think him failing to crack the top 8-9 right now means he'll never be able to play.