Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

I think Akol Arop, Lat Mayen, and Eduardo Andre have the least chance at starting. This whole pandemic thing is really going to benefit the more experienced, veteran players aside from the uber talented recruits.

Yvan Ouedraogo and Thorir Thorbjarnarson both have atleast a years worth of experience under HCFH and playing B1G ball

Dalano Banton, Shamiel Stevenson, and Derrick Walker all have a year under with HCFH and are experienced collegiate athletes

Kobe Webster has a lot of experience and is clearly intelligent (or at the very least studious) since he graduated in 3 years 

Teddy Allen is a hooper. That is that.

Kobe King, if eligible, is experienced not only in high major bball but also in the B1G

Assuming all summer bball workouts and conditioning sessions get wiped out (will they be made up?) veteran/experienced players will have a upper hand come opening tip imo.

Edited by khoock

I don't know shinola about the players who haven't suited up for us yet, except for the well-informed gossip on this board. And if that's all I have to go on, and assuming we have 3 sit-out transfers, I think I'm going to agree with what @khoock just said above about Arop, Mayen and Andre having the least chance of starting (or being in the rotation, frankly.)

So, starters ...

Banton (too much smoke around his name to doubt there's fire there)

Webster (someone has to be your primary ball handler and with Mack gone ...)

Allen (he got his 4th star for good reason: the kid is a baller who can score at 3 levels)

Thor (there might be a lock down in Iceland, but Thor can find a basketball hoop and launch 1,000 treys a day if he wants; he'll be ready)

Walker (I'm going with Derrick over Yvan because of athleticism and rumors about his developing offensive game)

That's just a wild-ass guess.

After that, I've got:

Shamiel (is our 6th man)

Yvan (gives us good rebounding presence in a reserve role)

Wait, there aren't a lot of guards to bring in off the bench if we don't get at least Kobe King cleared. So ... Lat Mayen because he can hit threes?

Having said all of this, probably Lat Mayen comes in, takes the world by storm, has us all saying "who the hell is this guy and how did he fall into our laps?" and gives us 13 and 8. OK, probably not, but ya never know.

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Wait, there aren't a lot of guards to bring in off the bench if we don't get at least Kobe King cleared. 

Regarding King's eligibility: it would seem that if the staff had any doubts they would have brought in another guard, or tried to keep Charlie.  If he was a five star quarterback transferring to Ohio State, his chances at a waiver for immediate eligibility would be 100%.  Since he's a basketball player transferring to Nebraska....well, yeah, we know those types of things go.  But in this instance I think the odds are pretty good.

Stevenson not being eligible last year cost, by any realistic estimate, 2-6 wins.  If King isn't eligible the drop in wins would be similar or worse, due to the lack of guard depth.  That is, unless Allen shows he can effectively defend the position, in which case we could get by.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

*Without Kobe King

PG: K. Webster - D. Banton

W: D. Banton - T. Thorbjarnarson 

W: T. Allen - T. Thorbjarnarson 

W: S. Stevenson - L. Mayen - A. Arop

F: Y. Ouedraogo - D. Walker - E. Andre

*With Kobe King

PG: D. Banton - K. Webster

W: K. King - T. Thorbjarnarson 

28 minutes ago, huskerrandy said:

Sorry, Andre starts day one unless someone else shows they can block shots and not bobble the ball at the rim.

HCFH has adamantly stated that he will start the five most skilled players and work from there. And he has backed that up by playing games with no one taller than 6'7. 

Thats just something to keep in mind. If Eduardo Andre is starting from day one that means we got an absolute steal in the 2020 recruiting class imo.

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2020 at 7:22 AM, khoock said:

*Without Kobe King

Still feel the same. Assuming Elijah Wood is utilized as back up ball handler and as a depth builder at wing if injuries or foul trouble arise.

Atleast one player out of Elijah Wood, Eduardo Andre, and Akol Arop will need to be able to fill a 20-25 game/8-12 MPG role next year.

17 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Feels like this team is set up for Teddy Allen to score a lot of points. 

I'm going to say Ouedraogo. I also think he starts despite what Robin said back in May.

Banton

McGowens

Thor

Teddy

Ouedrogo

First off the bench: Shamiel, Webster, Lat, Walker, Wood

Edited by OmahaHusker

6 minutes ago, khoock said:

Who's the favorite to be the second leading scorer heading into the season?

Probably Webster or Banton.  Webster can put up points but it feels like if he's leading the team we aren't going to be very good.

Stevenson might be in that mix. Not sure.

I'd put Yvan, McGowens, Walker, and Thorir, as secondary scorers where they score points when the opportunity presents itself, sometimes hitting double digits.

Maybe Mayan is in that mix. Mayan would be the 9th guy I listed assuming that McGowens can play.

I'd have Arop, Andre, and Wood in the category of surprised if they contribute more than a bucket or two a game.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Feels like this team is set up for Teddy Allen to score a lot of points. 

That’s a good thing, as it feels like Teddy’s overall game is set up for him to score a lot of points. 

5 hours ago, atskooc said:

That’s a good thing, as it feels like Teddy’s overall game is set up for him to score a lot of points. 

It might be a problem if we had too many guys like TA.  He's probably the key to how far this team is going to go.

6 hours ago, khoock said:

*Without Kobe King

If we don't get McGowens eligible we're going to be extremely thin at guard. Losing King hurts a lot.

Banton - Webster

Mcgowans - Wood

Allen - Thor

Stevenson - Thor

Mayen - Yvan

Mayen is the dark horse for me, and probably not a very smart bet to start over Yvan.  But he's a willing rebounder and good shooter from deep.  He's also an 80% free throw shooter.  We should be able to give some really interesting looks in the front court this season.  

In looking at this a bit differently,  I think last year 9 guys got double minutes in playing time so my guess at 9 are....

(These are not in order)

Banton

Webster

Thor

Allen

Stevenson

Lat

Yvan

Walker

**Mcgowens  if eligible  or Arop if Mcgowens is not eligible.

I think Arop might be the guy to benefit with playing time if McGowen doesn't get eligible.  He should be seasoned enough to help defensively at the wing forward spots.  May or may not hit double digits though?  

I think the  freshmen scholarship guys will help out the scout team for this year and will get garbage minutes. 

Edited by REDitus

One thing I'll say about Akol Arop: He reminds me of Devine Ozigbo.

No, really.

And it has nothing to do with the fact that Devine was buried on the depth chart early in his career with few people thinking he had any real chance of ever seeing meaningful snaps.

No, what reminds me of Devine when I see Akol is something Devine said about himself. Before the NFL draft in 2019,  Devine was making his pitch to NFL teams as to why they should draft a guy like him. I don't remember his exact words, but here are the themes:

1. No one is going to out-work me;

2. You will never be embarrassed about anything I do off the field;

3. I'm the opposite of a locker room cancer.

I don't know anything about Akol's work ethic, but I am absolutely confident that he fits the description for #2 and #3.

And if his work ethic matches the other things I think I know about him, I would be surprised if #1 doesn't fit him as well.

His handles need a ton of work; his feel for the game needs a ton  of work; he tends to get lost on defense. But he oozes athleticism and he has solid mechanics on his jumper. If he's been shooting non-stop this off-season, with his athleticism, he could easily be a 3-and-D guy who doesn't need to dribble much. And there's clearly room in the Hoiberg offense for such a player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 10:33 PM, hhcmatt said:

If we don't get McGowens eligible we're going to be extremely thin at guard. Losing King hurts a lot.

Gonna be even worse if Thor, Lat and Yvan aren't allowed back in the country.

We could very easily be down to 6 players for the season.

Edited by Blackshirt83

1 minute ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I didn't realize Lat wasn't here. I thought it was just Thor and Yvan that we were waiting on. But if the U goes totally on-line and the foreign dudes have to leave, that probably includes the Cannucks from up north, of which we have two.

I have to think if foreign players get stuck overseas, the NCAA will offset it by clearing some guys like McGowens. But, then again, it's the NCAA, so one never knows.

16 minutes ago, Blackshirt83 said:

I know there's a difference between professional leagues and NCAA, but Canadian teams (MLS, NBA, etc.) have been able to travel into the States just fine, even with non-essential travel bans between the two countries. Europe travel bans are only *into* Europe, so that helps in this scenario.

What's more unsettling in the collegiate front are the international students who may be forced by ICE to go back to their home country if the university is only offering online courses in the Fall semester.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I didn't realize Lat wasn't here. I thought it was just Thor and Yvan that we were waiting on. But if the U goes totally on-line and the foreign dudes have to leave, that probably includes the Cannucks from up north, of which we have two.

I have to think if foreign players get stuck overseas, the NCAA will offset it by clearing some guys like McGowens. But, then again, it's the NCAA, so one never knows.

If the University isn't competent enough to offer enough in-person classes so as to circumvent the rule, then, the University isn't competent enough to ever have a good basketball program.

20 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If the University isn't competent enough to offer enough in-person classes so as to circumvent the rule, then, the University isn't competent enough to ever have a good basketball program.

That doesn't even make sense. I mean, Harvard, arguably the most prestigious school in the country just went online only.