Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm going to have to readjust the height/weight that pops into my head when I hear the word "Andre" from here on out.

Good pickup over Auburn, Miss St, Illinois, Maryland, etc.

I like why he chose Nebraska.  Seems to have a good head and be coachable.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm going to have to readjust the height/weight that pops into my head when I hear the word "Andre" from here on out.

Good pickup over Auburn, Miss St, Illinois, Maryland, etc.

LOL...."Foward Centre".

He's definitely British!

So, from the looks of things, our roster would now be pretty well set, no?

Eligible players would be as follows:

Thor Thorbjarnarson, 6'6 Sr.

Kobe Webster, 6'0 Sr.

Shamiel Stephenson, 6'6 Jr.

Derrick Walker, 6'8 Jr.

Teddy Allen, 6'5 Jr.

Lat Mayen, 6'9 Jr.

Akol Arop, 6'6 So.

Yvan Ouedraogo, 6'7 So.

Dalano Banton, 6'8 So.

Eduardo Andre, 6'9 Fr.

Potentially eligible additions would include:

Kobe King, 6'4 Jr.

Trey McGowens, 6'4 Jr.

Sit-out transfer would be:

Trevor Lakes, 6'7 Sr.

9 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, from the looks of things, our roster would now be pretty well set, no?

Eligible players would be as follows:

Thor Thorbjarnarson, 6'6 Sr.

Kobe Webster, 6'0 Sr.

Shamiel Stephenson, 6'6 Jr.

Derrick Walker, 6'8 Jr.

Teddy Allen, 6'5 Jr.

Lat Mayen, 6'9 Jr.

Akol Arop, 6'6 So.

Yvan Ouedraogo, 6'7 So.

Dalano Banton, 6'8 So.

Eduardo Andre, 6'9 Fr.

Potentially eligible additions would include:

Kobe King, 6'4 Jr.

Trey McGowens, 6'4 Jr.

Sit-out transfer would be:

Trevor Lakes, 6'7 Sr.

Pretty clear eight-man rotation out of that:

• Webster
  • Allen
  • Banton
  • Stephenson
  • Ouedraogo
  • Walker
  • Mayen
  • Thor

9 and 10 if waivered:

• King
  • McGowens

Off the bench in a pinch:

• Arop
  • Andre

I wouldn't be so quick to write Andre off as an outside-the-rotation player. One thing that struck me about last year's team was how we needed that shot-blocking rim runner. He's that guy. Not sure how ready he is because there's so much we still don't know. But his competition for the rotation is a still-very-young Yvan Ouedraogo who, while beefy, isn't all that long or explosive, a juco transfer who weighs 205 lbs dripping wet, and a Tennessee transfer who wasn't in the rotation at Tennessee.  I think there's at least an outside chance that a new guy like this, if he has some tools, has just as much of a chance to make the rotation as some of the other guys who also have holes in their game/abilities.

51 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I wouldn't be so quick to write Andre off as an outside-the-rotation player. One thing that struck me about last year's team was how we needed that shot-blocking rim runner. He's that guy. Not sure how ready he is because there's so much we still don't know. But his competition for the rotation is a still-very-young Yvan Ouedraogo who, while beefy, isn't all that long or explosive, a juco transfer who weighs 205 lbs dripping wet, and a Tennessee transfer who wasn't in the rotation at Tennessee.  I think there's at least an outside chance that a new guy like this, if he has some tools, has just as much of a chance to make the rotation as some of the other guys who also have holes in their game/abilities.

Agree.  He's got a frame we don't have on the roster.  If our team rebounding is adequate, that might get him in the rotation.

I mean... we can throw out enormous lineups now that can legitimately play the 1-5.  Andre looks better in this lineup to me than Yvan for the exact reasons you mentioned.  

Stevenson 6'6"

Thor 6'6"

Banton 6'8"

Mayen 6'9"

Andre 6'10"

Andre is already light years ahead of Oudrago at scoring.  Probably at blocking shots as well.  

Not high praise for Andre; Yvan was just horrible scoring the ball  last season.  My hope was with being a year older as well as more experienced he would significantly improve.  The nice thing is with Andre we now have more options if his development is on the slower side.

31 minutes ago, busticket said:

Andre is already light years ahead of Oudrago at scoring.  Probably at blocking shots as well.  

Not high praise for Andre; Yvan was just horrible scoring the ball  last season.  My hope was with being a year older as well as more experienced he would significantly improve.  The nice thing is with Andre we now have more options if his development is on the slower side.

I was talking about this today with a friend of ours. Let's say you came up with a list of attributes or skills or qualities you want to have in a post in Hoiberg's system. Top 10 attributes. How many of those attributes favor Yvan and how many favor Eduardo?

I'm just going to throw out 10 things. Maybe someone else would have 10 different things, but these are the ones I'm throwing out there. Can you see a scenario in which enough of those 10 things favor Eduardo that he beats out Yvan? I don't know; I'm just asking. But I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Yvan wins this spot in the rotation for sure.

Ten things in no particular order:

1. Length (height and wingspan)

2. Quick leaping (explosiveness)

3. Speed up and down the floor

4. Mass/strength

5. Soft hands

6. Footwork

7. Motor

8. Rebounding (mentality)

9. Freethrow shooting

10. Touch around the rim/finishing

I think Yvan clearly is superior in #4, mass/strength. He's *probably* better at #8. But #1, #2, #3, #5 and #9 probably favor Eduardo. The rest could go either way, we don't know. (Knowledge of system is a push because by the end of December, Eduardo should have closed the gap significantly enough that it wouldn't be a factor.) So, again, can you envision a scenario where Eduardo gives us advantages in enough of those areas that he could get the nod even as a true freshman? I think it's possible.

I think it depends on what our needs are based on what we fill around him. We were so terrible at rebounding last year that, if Yvan was a far superior rebounder and we're still struggling on the boards, that factor alone could swing the decision making. On the other hand, we potentially have added length and rebounding up and down the roster such that we might need a 5 who is more of a rim-running shot blocker.

Depends. Could go either way. But I don't think Yvan has enough of a lead that you'd use sharpie to write his name in the rotation over Eduardo.

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Depends. Could go either way. But I don't think Yvan has enough of a lead that you'd use sharpie to write his name in the rotation over Eduardo.

Just to add to the comparison: Eduardo was born in 2001, Yvan in March 2002.

So Eduardo is at least a few months older than Yvan.

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 7.26.33 AM.png

Edited by jayschool

14 hours ago, jayschool said:

Pretty clear eight-man rotation out of that:

• Webster
  • Allen
  • Banton
  • Stephenson
  • Ouedraogo
  • Walker
  • Mayen
  • Thor

9 and 10 if waivered:

• King
  • McGowens

Off the bench in a pinch:

• Arop
  • Andre

I think this sums it up very well.   The rotation players all have an edge with experience/maturity so agree that Andre is most likely coming off the bench the first year.   Hard to say for sure until we see them in person on the court.    If eligible the waivers players really make things interesting as far as figuring out lineups.   Going to be a dog fight for minutes. 

Edited by REDitus

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I was talking about this today with a friend of ours. Let's say you came up with a list of attributes or skills or qualities you want to have in a post in Hoiberg's system. Top 10 attributes. How many of those attributes favor Yvan and how many favor Eduardo?

1. Length (height and wingspan)

2. Quick leaping (explosiveness)

3. Speed up and down the floor

4. Mass/strength

5. Soft hands

6. Footwork

7. Motor

8. Rebounding (mentality)

9. Freethrow shooting

10. Touch around the rim/finishing

I would also give Eduardo #10.

Last year Yvan started a lot out of need as the youngest kid in division 1 hoops.  Not unreasonable to think we could start another true freshmen next season.  Then again Walker and Lat may be so good they are both fighting for backup minutes in the front court.  

You have a good point about rebounding.  Our team rebounding should be significantly better, lowering the need for Yvan’s best attribute.  

One other thing is Fred ideally wants all 5 players to be a threat to score.  It is much easier to play defense when the other team plays a guy who struggles to score.  Not Yvan’s strong suit.  If Eduardo (or Walker) show well at rolling to the rim  and finishing, Yvan may be the odd man out.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:49 PM, busticket said:

Is Andre a better scorer?  It seems like he has Yvan bested in leaping ability and length but I'm finding it hard to evaluate how far along Andre is in regards to scoring against D-1 players.

36 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Is Andre a better scorer?  It seems like he has Yvan bested in leaping ability and length but I'm finding it hard to evaluate how far along Andre is in regards to scoring against D-1 players.

I think the way Andre scores in his highlights give a hint to his value for us.    There are a lot of highlights where he scores on short drives.   So he is doing the pick&roll or diving to the basket, catching the ball and either dunking or taking 1 or 2 dribbles before doing a layup/dunk depending on how far out he is.   So that's a fit for a 5 out offense right?   He's not doing a lot of post ups.     

As compared to Yvan?  Not sure.   I do think Yvan might be a little better suited for 4-1 type sets?   I don't know how many different ways Hoiberg runs his offense?

51 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

If I had to guess at this moment in time I would say yes. Yvan is very hesitant and timid when he gets the ball in the paint on top of lacking in touch.  Now that could be a byproduct of adjusting to the American game, being the youngest kid on the court, etc.

My hope is that his confidence and aggression go up.  Just attacking with the ball instead of hesitating should help, along with using his big frame to carve out space against defenders.  Not a guarantee because some guys are just not wired to be aggressive but it could.  

What gives me hope for Yvan is look at his rebounding arc last year.  He was literally a body taking up space the first part of last season.  It was maddening to watch at times.  By the end of the year he was pretty solid on the boards.  He even set a record one game.  Hell, at that rate of improvement he may be our Ben Wallace on the boards.

11 minutes ago, busticket said:

If I had to guess at this moment in time I would say yes. Yvan is very hesitant and timid when he gets the ball in the paint on top of lacking in touch.  Now that could be a byproduct of adjusting to the American game, being the youngest kid on the court, etc.

My hope is that his confidence and aggression go up.  Just attacking with the ball instead of hesitating should help, along with using his big frame to carve out space against defenders.  Not a guarantee because some guys are just not wired to be aggressive but it could.  

What gives me hope for Yvan is look at his rebounding arc last year.  He was literally a body taking up space the first part of last season.  It was maddening to watch at times.  By the end of the year he was pretty solid on the boards.  He even set a record one game.  Hell, at that rate of improvement he may be our Ben Wallace on the boards.

I think we can expect major improvement with Yvan just because of his age.  In the past you could always count on Freshmen improving as they went along in their careers but anymore in college hoops Freshmen are often 19-20 year old men and have played more games than in the past so I don't think you can count on a kid getting a lot better like you could in the past.  I think young bigs like Yvan and Andre will develop hopefully into solid D1 players.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

guarantee he won't be missing all those bunnies Yvan did last year!!

29 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

guarantee he won't be missing all those bunnies Yvan did last year!!

Hopefully he has the hops to bring them home. My recollection of the Jordy and Moses Abraham era of 'raw ability guys who just need to work on their game' plus most everything I know about the developmental speed of post players severely lowers my expectations here.  Given we have two guys who are slotted to play center and our ability to play small ball were basically talking about a gamble where the downside is this guy just transfers after a year (or less, shout out Samari Curtis)

4 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Agree with the sentiment here.  I don't see how Andre would be a better finisher based on the film I've watched, although he may very well be a better free throw shooter.  Yvan plays really hard.  I think he'll make some strides physically and offensively in the offseason.  That still won't make him a shotblocker or speedster though, and I think Andre has those two things in bulk along with being taller.  I could envision scenarios where they play next to each other or neither of them is on the court at all in exchange for someone like Stevenson or Lat at the 5.  So many options.  

9 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Agree with the sentiment here.  I don't see how Andre would be a better finisher based on the film I've watched, although he may very well be a better free throw shooter.  Yvan plays really hard.  I think he'll make some strides physically and offensively in the offseason.  That still won't make him a shotblocker or speedster though, and I think Andre has those two things in bulk along with being taller.  I could envision scenarios where they play next to each other or neither of them is on the court at all in exchange for someone like Stevenson or Lat at the 5.  So many options.  

Going by the recruiting videos for each, I didn't see Yvan pulling off drives to the rim on the bounce like Eduardo.

Eduardo is also a lot quicker leaper from what I've seen. He goes from catch to jump and dunk pretty fast, whereas Yvan has to pause and gather himself allowing the defense time to react and get in position. That makes it more difficult for Yvan to finish regardless of his issues with touch.

But, Yvan was so very young. I know, it's a broken record, but it's true.  He should have been a HS senior this past season, maybe even a HS junior.  There's a LOT of development that could happen between June 1 and November. (It's unfortunate that he missed out on all the post-season individual and small group workouts that the coaches are allowed to have while school is in session.)