Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

It is good news to hear that Thor and Yvan are likely back.     Between Yvan and Walker the center spot is covered.  Cross if he choses to come back could then play the 4 and compete at the 5 as needed.  

Thor coming back really helps out the middle of the lineup and our flexibility.   I think it frees up Stevenson to compete more at the 4 spot which I think would be more adventageous for us.     Thor can play 2 or 3 and fill in at point in emergencies.    Then if King is eligible you are in good shape. 

I think the PG spot to rotate in with Banton is the main thing that needs to be figured out.    I think that should be a recruiting point of emphasis.  

Edited by REDitus

We need a PG for next year. Cam Mack has tweeted a couple times in the past day offering support for the team, but I don't see him coming back. He's far too much of a distraction for a coach trying to build a program. It seems he challenges Hoiberg every step of the way.

Would love to have Cross come back. And yeah, he will see reduced minutes next year, but so will everyone who returns! I'd like to see what Cross can do playing only 15 minutes per game, especially if he continues to work on his body. Both he and Yvan could benefit from adding strength and explosiveness.

I'm in-line with the sentiments shared about Green. I also thought he was for sure going to be gone a few weeks ago, but he's certainly raised to the occasion. If he's willing to come back, I'd very much welcome that.

Also agree that Yvan and Thor will for sure be back.

I'm excited to see what our roster looks like in the next few months!

1. Stevenson

2. Walker

3. Banton

4. Allen

5. Mayen

6. King

7. Yvan returns

8. Thor returns

9. Cross returns

10. Green returns (unless we can find 4 players they like better)

11. I predict Sanogo commits and reclassifies 

Burke grad transfers

Mack goes somewhere else

Arop transfers to UNO

All the walk-ons (Easley, Porter, Piatkowski) return

3 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Mack goes somewhere else

We probably don't have a better PG option lined up.

Mack probably has to sit and loses a year of eligibility if he transfers somewhere. 

Unless we're going to dismiss him from the team or he's going to play pro ball somewhere he seems destined to come back here.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We probably don't have a better PG option lined up.

Mack probably has to sit and loses a year of eligibility if he transfers somewhere. 

Unless we're going to dismiss him from the team or he's going to play pro ball somewhere he seems destined to come back here.

I guess what I was trying to say was we will dismiss him or he will go overseas and play pro ball. 

7 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I guess what I was trying to say was we will dismiss him or he will go overseas and play pro ball. 

I have a feeling that Cam will be back. Hope he does, he has a lot of potential to do great things once he's matured a bit more. I'm pulling for him, no matter what.

I don’t see Cross as the type to take his ball and go home.  Even in his worst games, he was a fearless freshman, and that’s rare.  I like Mayen a lot, but he may only be marginally better than Cross after an offseason, if at all.  

The real question mark will be what we end up doing with Stevenson.  Can he play the 5 and create problems for opponents like Roby did?  If so, it’s hard for me not to like a Banton, King, Allen, Cross, Stevenson lineup.  Cross has the skillset to blend in quite nicely with better players around him because of his skills.  He can work within the flow of fast play.  

If Stevenson plays the 4, all bets are off for Cross’ playing time UNLESS we can play Mayen at the 5.  Dude is 6’9” and skilled.  If that’s the case, Cross probably gets a similar number of minutes at the 4.  

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out but I sure as hell don’t want to lose Cross.  I highly doubt the coaching staff sees him as expendable with that many flashes at such a young age.  

Also, if I’m betting, Cam is back along with Green.  

Edited by LK1

46 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I don’t see Cross as the type to take his ball and go home.  Even in his worst games, he was a fearless freshman, and that’s rare.  I like Mayen a lot, but he may only be marginally better than Cross after an offseason, if at all.  

The real question mark will be what we end up doing with Stevenson.  Can he play the 5 and create problems for opponents like Roby did?  If so, it’s hard for me not to like a Banton, King, Allen, Cross, Stevenson lineup.  Cross has the skillset to blend in quite nicely with better players around him because of his skills.  He can work within the flow of fast play.  

If Stevenson plays the 4, all bets are off for Cross’ playing time UNLESS we can play Mayen at the 5.  Dude is 6’9” and skilled.  If that’s the case, Cross probably gets a similar number of minutes at the 4.  

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out but I sure as hell don’t want to lose Cross.  I highly doubt the coaching staff sees him as expendable with that many flashes at such a young age.  

Also, if I’m betting, Cam is back along with Green.  

I tend to feel similarly about Cross if they think he's a full time 4 with Stevenson and Mayen, not many minutes. That could change with an off-season in S&C obviously.

Green actually really impressed me as the season progressed. To go from starter to suspended to not in rotation to working his way back IN the rotation and be a starter is a hell of a year. I saw him play within the relm of the offense a lot too. His defense is effort based, but when he's locked in he's a damn good defender

Mack I have no clue on either way. Would this team be better off without him? On the court definitely not but off the court that is a discussion. My gut tells me I don't think he returns but I'll welcome him back if he matures

2 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

I thought this might happen. But day after season ended. Shit

Screenshot_20200312-145125.png

Always a chance he doesn’t sign and then isn’t drafted and could come back, but that’s about 0. They’ll need at least one grad transfer so they have more than 1 or 2 seniors next year, so full throttle on a grad PG.

if he’s planning on playing overseas I don’t know what the financial viability of those leagues are going to be like after all of this.

22 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Circle gets the square

Good luck to him in the NBA..........................................I hear undersized point guards with a history of bad behavior who don't play much defense and have no shooting ability are a dime a dozen. 

But if he just dribbles and passes, he might turn some heads. 

59 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Some good news for Nebrasketball.

Also just to add some context to the tweet:

- All players have D1 experience 

- Five of them have P5 experience 

- Three of them have one full season in HCFHs system and strength/conditioning programs

- One of them has B1G experience 

This is not counting whatever pieces we have returning. Compare the experience of these 7 players to this years 16 player roster and its not hard to get a little excited!

Edited by khoock