Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

I was gonna attempt to update our way too early projected rotation next year based on what we've learned in recent days, but you know what, eff it. there's no way it would be close to being right. Would it surprise anyone if 

Mack

Burke

Green

Cross

Arop

Thor

all left? No it wouldn't surprise me. So I'll pass on killing my brain cells. 

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

Why do so many people think Cross is leaving? I have seen nothing from him to indicate such a thing.

I just see a freshman worn out by the long season. I think he'll be back.

I agree, but the reasoning behind it at least for me is there's more competition at the 4 spot next year, which is where he will probably play. Now he'll have opportunity, but Fred will already have 2 upperclassmen PFs for next year and another in Cross who is shooting near team worst fg% from the field, hasn't shown a lot on defense, and becomes a black hole at times when he gets the ball. 

I would love for him to stay and figure it out with us, I just don't think there's a guaranteed path to that. And he has to work on his body OR bump down a conference where he will be better. Either way I'd be ok with honestly. 

I am not going to try to guess for Fred though. He kept Thor and Thor turned into a huge contributor for us. Never would've though that would happen if you told me that a year ago

Edited by thrasher31

So if im being honest looking at the roster.....

Thor is the most valuable because of experience. I think he could become a poor mans Svi from KU.

Ouedraogo is raw and would have benefited on most rosters as a red shirt but that guy can get you double doubles

Piatkowski has value as a deep bench guy that can develop same with Easley.

I would prefer Burke comeback but idk what he did to get suspended so that depends, Mack is damn talented but hes been suspended so many times its probably time to go.

That's pretty much the list add the guys who sat out and some transfer idk if that's a post season roster or not but I do know they can win more than 7 games and this isn't just about year 1 or year 2.

I guess the silver lining here is we all in the back of our minds were scared Hoiberg would leave at some point and it still might be true. The good news is he really can;t for atleast another 2-3 years because as I see it this team won't reach its full potential until then. Be patient folks.

11 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

I agree, but the reasoning behind it at least for me is there's more competition at the 4 spot next year, which is where he will probably play. Now he'll have opportunity, but Fred will already have 2 upperclassmen PFs for next year and another in Cross who is shooting near team worst fg% from the field, hasn't shown a lot on defense, and becomes a black hole at times when he gets the ball. 

I would love for him to stay and figure it out with us, I just don't think there's a guaranteed path to that. And he has to work on his body OR bump down a conference where he will be better. Either way I'd be ok with honestly. 

Cross handles the ball pretty well. If he continues to lean up, he could improve his quickness. He could be a 3/4, especially in a "positionless" system. I think there is 15 minutes per game available for him. And he may benefit from less minutes, especially if he picks up his defensive intensity.

Edited by dustystehl

Cross already gets a ton of good looks at the rim in one on one matchups.  He just doesn’t have the body to finish yet.  Remember he outplayed Yvan in a ton of games this year before Yvan’s switch flipped.  

Cross stays and becomes a good one at the 4 alongside Yvan, IMO.  Banton, King, Allen, Cross, and Yvan is a strong and skilled lineup.  They will bully some finesse teams next season.  

If you just count the guys sitting out and the new recruits who you know for sure are eligible(given they make grades)  it would be

Banton,Allen,Stevenson,Lat,Walker.   You got every position covered and it's a good start.    Looks even better if King gets immediate eligibility.   Then once the silly season gets going we will find out who is coming back out of Thor,Yvan,Cross,Arop,Green,Mack.    I hope they all come back but we will probably lose 3-4?    I think Yvan and Cross are most likely to stay.   For Thor it depends when he graduates and if he wants to go euro-pro?   Arop I think is 50/50?  Green and Mack look iffy?  Is that the current thought?

Edited by REDitus

11 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Why do so many people think Cross is leaving? I have seen nothing from him to indicate such a thing.

I just see a freshman worn out by the long season. I think he'll be back.

Whenever anyone does well more people think they are going to stay and when people slump more people think they are going to leave.

9 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Whenever anyone does well more people think they are going to stay and when people slump more people think they are going to leave.

Like I said, he just looks worn out. Hell, we ALL are! I like his game and there is certainly a spot for him moving forward. Hope he sticks around.

I am most intrigued to see what Hoiberg does with the potential of 1-2 more scholarships opening up.

My guess is he adds either a PG if Mack leaves or he adds two more guys who will have to sit out.

I kind of forget that a lot of these dudes arent use to the major minutes they are now getting. 

I really hope that guys like Cross/Yvan are all in because I honestly think both can be used in better spots next year and less minutes which should help on their bodies.

Has anyone heard how Walker looks in practice? He is one of the most intriguing options.

2 minutes ago, jayschool said:

Like a man. With an iffy stroke.

I also believe he has been injury prone in the past?

I dont know if anyone can comment specifically on his time at Tennessee, but I remember hearing something along those lines. He also DNP during our trip overseas bc of injury.

Now that its all officially over, here is my way too early and way too wrong prediction on roster changes. Note that I have no inside information on the topic...

Thorir Thorbjarnarson and Yvan Ouedraogo will be back. I think those two are the most sure fire bets to return. Everyone else is a coin flip.

Cam Mack and Dachon Burke will not be back. Burke wil grad transfer for his final year of CBB and Mack will pursue professional basketball somewhere.

The local boys (Easley and Arop) will be back for atleast one more go around. As mentioned by someone earlier, I think Easley knew what he was signing up for and PT more than likely came much quicker then he anticipated. I think the staff likes Arop a lot and you can see his potential. But he is still very raw and another year to mold the clay will tell us a lot.

The last two players are going to be the hardest for me to decide: Kevin Cross and Jervay Green. A few weeks ago I thought Jervay was as good as gone. But with things looking bleak for Mack and Burke, it kinda makes since to stay right? Not sure he would want to transfer bc I do not think, as it currently stands, he would be able to gain immediate eligibility and he only has one year to play so he would be a sit one to play one. Plus another year in HCFHs system and second year in D1 would be good for him. We look a little thin on paper at the guard position, can we do better then Jervay? Is it worth taking the risk of parting ways only to strike out on the transfer market?

Now to Kevin Cross!!! He ended the season on a high note but man did he play a lot of bad basketball for long stretches of time (but i mean so did the team as a whole). No doubt you can see the potential in him tho. Would love to see him at the 4 spot after another year in the weight room. The reason I lean towards him leaving is I see his playing time being significantly reduced next year as, in my opinion, he is still a couple years away. If a lesser role was in the plans for next year, would he be okay with that? I dont know Kevin Cross, but it seems most kids would transfer in that situation.

Questions, comments, concerns... feel free.

In short:

SENIORS

- Jervay Green 6'3 G

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 G

JUNIORS

- Derrick Walker 6'8 F

- Kobe King 6'4 G*

- Lat Mayen 6'9 F

- Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 F

- Teddy Allen 6'5 G/F

SOPHOMORES 

- Akol Arop 6'6 F

- Charlie Easley 6'2 G

- Dalano Banton 6'8 G/F

- Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 F

* Eligibility pending

2-3 schollies to work with

23 minutes ago, khoock said:

Now that its all officially over, here is my way too early and way too wrong prediction on roster changes. Note that I have no inside information on the topic...

Thorir Thorbjarnarson and Yvan Ouedraogo will be back. I think those two are the most sure fire bets to return. Everyone else is a coin flip.

Cam Mack and Dachon Burke will not be back. Burke wil grad transfer for his final year of CBB and Mack will pursue professional basketball somewhere.

The local boys (Easley and Arop) will be back for atleast one more go around. As mentioned by someone earlier, I think Easley knew what he was signing up for and PT more than likely came much quicker then he anticipated. I think the staff likes Arop a lot and you can see his potential. But he is still very raw and another year to mold the clay will tell us a lot.

The last two players are going to be the hardest for me to decide: Kevin Cross and Jervay Green. A few weeks ago I thought Jervay was as good as gone. But with things looking bleak for Mack and Burke, it kinda makes since to stay right? Not sure he would want to transfer bc I do not think, as it currently stands, he would be able to gain immediate eligibility and he only has one year to play so he would be a sit one to play one. Plus another year in HCFHs system and second year in D1 would be good for him. We look a little thin on paper at the guard position, can we do better then Jervay? Is it worth taking the risk of parting ways only to strike out on the transfer market?

Now to Kevin Cross!!! He ended the season on a high note but man did he play a lot of bad basketball for long stretches of time (but i mean so did the team as a whole). No doubt you can see the potential in him tho. Would love to see him at the 4 spot after another year in the weight room. The reason I lean towards him leaving is I see his playing time being significantly reduced next year as, in my opinion, he is still a couple years away. If a lesser role was in the plans for next year, would he be okay with that? I dont know Kevin Cross, but it seems most kids would transfer in that situation.

Questions, comments, concerns... feel free.

This is also my thought on Green.  And might I add that he handled his "situation" very well and played pretty good afterward.  I also heard from a coworker that has been around him says he is one of the nicest guys you will know.  

Also as a coach do you keep kids that knows what is going on for one year and is a plus or do you cut bait and hope things workout  with either a transfer or new eligible player.