Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

20 hours ago, hskr4life said:

One nice thing is that two or three likely starters have been playing together this whole year.  They just haven't been playing together in our games.

Im not sure if this was said in this thread, but Im cautiously optimistic over the 3 sitting out.  I may be in the minority and hope Im wrong, but I feel too much from fans and coaching staff is being put on these 3 to be the big difference.  This program has been burned way too many times so maybe thats my thought process but I still feel there will be much more of a need, especially talented freshman, to turn this around.

Just now, coughunter said:

Im not sure if this was said in this thread, but Im cautiously optimistic over the 3 sitting out.  I may be in the minority and hope Im wrong, but I feel too much from fans and coaching staff is being put on these 3 to be the big difference.  This program has been burned way too many times so maybe thats my thought process but I still feel there will be much more of a need, especially talented freshman, to turn this around.

I think we definitely need another shooter and possibly two depending on what occurs with Mack and Burke.   But those 3 are legit.   Are they good enough to get us to the dance next year?  Alone?  Probably not.   But I'd take Banton/Allen/King/Stevenson/Walker over Mack/Burke/Thor/Cheetam/Yvan any day of the week.   Thor will be off the bench next year, which will suit him better.   Burke and Mack and can still play and if you mix those two in with the first 5....you have 5 guys who can play.  Yvan should've redshirted but grew over the course of the year but will be in role much better for him.     We won't be starting true freshman walk-ons, 6-4 shooting guards in the front court or 17-year olds next year.

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

I think we definitely need another shooter and possibly two depending on what occurs with Mack and Burke.   But those 3 are legit.   Are they good enough to get us to the dance next year?  Alone?  Probably not.   But I'd take Banton/Allen/King/Stevenson/Walker over Mack/Burke/Thor/Cheetam/Yvan any day of the week.   Thor will be off the bench next year, which will suit him better.   Burke and Mack and can still play and if you mix those two in with the first 5....you have 5 guys who can play.  Yvan should've redshirted but grew over the course of the year but will be in role much better for him.     We won't be starting true freshman walk-ons, 6-4 shooting guards in the front court or 17-year olds next year.

How do we know those 3 are legit? Cause the coaches say so? What have they done prior to here? Not much stats wise to make me turn my head. Yeah you can say look at Palmer and Petteway but think that was a different system and had more pieces around them.  I just find it hard to believe that even today Fred was pumping them up, that these are the players that will make us NIT bound or bubble team next year

2 minutes ago, coughunter said:

How do we know those 3 are legit? Cause the coaches say so? What have they done prior to here? Not much stats wise to make me turn my head. Yeah you can say look at Palmer and Petteway but think that was a different system and had more pieces around them.  I just find it hard to believe that even today Fred was pumping them up, that these are the players that will make us NIT bound or bubble team next year

Fred’s history makes me believe it.   I’ve seen Stevenson play.   He’s legit.   Fair on the other two.   But it’s not exactly far fetched to say they would be steps up over what we have.   
allen and king we know can compete at high levels in p5 play.   

6 hours ago, coughunter said:

I'm not saying that these three will lead us to the promise land.  I am saying that these three would start on this years team.  That is a big difference in terms of results this year if we had these three.

Learned my lesson from the football team and won't put expectations on next year. If I had to guess we'll all be excited rightfully so, but I do think there's not much talent on the current roster and the some that is might have been suspended this past week. If we win double digit games next year i'll be happy. That's my expectation.

As long as talent keeps coming we have a chance. The good news for both teams, talent continues to keep coming. It's a long game and i'm fine with it at the end of the day as long as theres some results. I've seen NOTHING to suggest Hoiberg isn't the man.No doom and gloom over here go big red!

14 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I'm not saying that these three will lead us to the promise land.  I am saying that these three would start on this years team.  That is a big difference in terms of results this year if we had these three.

I don’t have a feel for Walker but I think Banton and Stevenson are going to be very solid for us. And Banton may end up being special IMO. Tack on two more high major players in Teddy and Kobe and we have quite a bit of help coming in. But, they need to stay on the court and out of trouble. 

I don’t know if that means NIT or dancing or what....but at the very least we won’t be getting beat before we walk off the bus next year. 

To the ultimate end of figuring out if we can get to eight conference wins or more (a tremendous turnaround IMO), what is the rest of the conference going to look like? Who returns/brings in the most talent?

1. Will Ayo come back to Illinois? Will they still compete for a title without him? They bring in a top 15 recruiting class.
  2. Same with Garza and Iowa? If Garza and Bohannon both come back healthy, are they a top four conference team?
  3. Indiana continues to underperform, but the talent is there.
  4. Maryland will always have players, but can they effectively replace Cowan and Smith?
  5. Michigan loses Simpson and Teske, but they will be loaded with their nationally fourth-ranked recruiting class.
  6. MSU is always good.
  7. Minnesota may be starting over, but if their sophomore class stays intact, they'll be decent.
  8. Northwestern was young and awful, but they beat us twice. They're bound to be better.
  9. Ohio State loses only Andre Wesson.
  10. Penn State loses Stevens and Watkins, so they could dip a bit.
  11. Purdue loses about 14 points per game, but that's it.
  12. Rutgers continues it build with an NCAA bid in the basket this year and losing Yeboah's and Carter's 13 points per game.
  13. Wisconsin will lose Pritzel, but that's it, from a conference title team, and they have a top 20 recruiting class.

That's a steep hill to climb, so really just turning around about four to six games from this year (getting us to 6-14, 7-13, 8-12) should be considered great progress. And if the team comes back for 2021-22 intact (sans Thor but avec players like Sallis, Sanogo, Tominaga and Whitt), we're looking at a contender.

Patience should still be a thing next year. Being uncompetitive should not.

I understand the thinking of "this is a seven win team, who cares if anyone comes back". But my main concern with having zero holdovers comes from when I look at Banton, Walker, Stevenson, Mayen, and Allens career minutes.

I believe Banton has the highest MPG average at 15ish, but he was at Western Kentucky. Sure everyone else played P5 bball but not in high volume nor were they asked to take on the roles of starter, leading scorer, etc. Thats a lot of players being asked to take on much larger roles in a bigger, more physical conference. Im still optimistic, but having a couple guys return and reduced to rotation pieces who are familiar with HCFH and the B1G isnt a bad idea imo.

If Kobe King recieves eligibility, he will be a huge help as he has the best statisitics of any incoming player and has two years of experience in the B1G.

Edited by khoock

1 hour ago, khoock said:

I understand the thinking of "this is a seven win team, who cares if anyone comes back". But my main concern with having zero holdovers comes from when I look at Banton, Walker, Stevenson, Mayen, and Allens career minutes.

I believe Banton has the highest MPG average at 15ish, but he was at Western Kentucky. Sure everyone else played P5 bball but not in high volume nor were they asked to take on the roles of starter, leading scorer, etc. Thats a lot of players being asked to take on much larger roles in a bigger, more physical conference. Im still optimistic, but having a couple guys return and reduced to rotation pieces who are familiar with HCFH and the B1G isnt a bad idea imo.

If Kobe King recieves eligibility, he will be a huge hope as he has the best statisitics of any incoming player and has two years of experience in the B1G.

I think King will be our best all around player next year.  He was the best player Wiscy had this season.  He’s an extremely good get.  The fans will love him.  He, Banton, Allen, and Mayen are huge offensive upgrades.   

Just now, LK1 said:

I think King will be our best all around player next year.  He was the best player Wiscy had this season.  He’s an extremely good get.  The fans will love him.  He, Banton, Allen, and Mayen are huge offensive upgrades.   

Yes i think we will be much improved from a talent stand point and schematic fit. And no doubt HCFH will coach em up. 

6 hours ago, khoock said:

If Kobe King recieves eligibility, he will be a huge help as he has the best statisitics of any incoming player and has two years of experience in the B1G.

Feels like we will fall somewhere between no one comes back and everyone comes back