Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

16 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I will be absolutely positively shocked if Arop is one of our 13 scholarship players next year. Nothing against the kid, just don't see how he fits in to our future if we intend to rebuild quickly. 

I agree with this. It's great that he's a Nebraska kid; I absolutely want to see him succeed. I just don't see that happening at Nebraska at this point in time.

29 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

I will be absolutely positively shocked if Arop is one of our 13 scholarship players next year. Nothing against the kid, just don't see how he fits in to our future if we intend to rebuild quickly. 

Which is fair. He's more of a stash and watch develop guy. He won't crack the rotation this next year unless there's injuries. His versatility is what I'm looking at, specifically on defense. The block on the Nance dunk showed he's an athlete, just need to hone skills. Which I believe Fred can do. 

I understand your sentiment, but I look at his potential and see a lot for a 4. Like I said, I'm probably alone in this. 

Edited by thrasher31

thrasher31, you make a fair point. If he stays I hope he contributes, obviously.

I also look forward to a time when there isn't a whiff of Miles in the program. Though I like Miles' wit and intelligence I never will find any coherent excuse for his last team to be so crappy. Even though they lost Copeland they hadn't played as well as they should have considering the talent and experience prior to his injury. Copeland, Watson, Palmer, Allen and Roby, plus a couple others and they were a joke.

My hope is the curse NU labors under will, at long last be lifted by Hoiberg. Perhaps Arop, Burke and Green were "tainted" by the last staff in some inexplicable way? I know lots of people who say the same thing about Frost: 'once he gets his guys...' I'm not saying it will happen but one tends to get desperate and look for hope in anything one can find.

This is our roster next year:

Dachon Burke 6'4 Sr G

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 Sr G

Cam Mack 6'2 Jr G

Derrick Walker 6'8 Jr F

Lat Mayen 6'9 Jr F

Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 Jr F

Teddy Allen 6'5 Jr G/F

Akol Arop 6'6 So F

Charlie Easley 6'2 So G

Dalano Banton 6'8 So G/F

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 So F

REDSHIRTING 

Kobe King 6'4 RJr G

*Insert another RS transfer*

4 minutes ago, khoock said:

Dachon Burke 6'4 Sr G

Cam Mack 6'2 Jr G

Derrick Walker 6'8 Jr F

Lat Mayen 6'9 Jr F

Teddy Allen 6'5 Jr G/F

Akol Arop 6'6 So F

Charlie Easley 6'2 So G

Dalano Banton 6'8 So G/F

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 So F

REDSHIRTING 

Kobe King 6'4 RJr G

Prolly stating the obvious here omitting Green, but technically a premature announcement.  😉

On 3/2/2020 at 5:07 PM, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Perhaps Arop, Burke and Green were "tainted" by the last staff in some inexplicable way? I

It all makes sense now.  Samari Curtis transferred because he found out Miles got a gig with the BTN. We should probably convert the state default from miles to kilometers just to be safe.  Why else would Thor, a native of a country that employs the metric system, be immune?

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Dachon Burke 6'4 Sr G

Cam Mack 6'2 Jr G

Derrick Walker 6'8 Jr F

Lat Mayen 6'9 Jr F

Teddy Allen 6'5 Jr G/F

Akol Arop 6'6 So F

Charlie Easley 6'2 So G

Dalano Banton 6'8 So G/F

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 So F

REDSHIRTING 

Kobe King 6'4 RJr G

There is no intention to redshirt King.

On 3/2/2020 at 4:15 PM, thrasher31 said:

Which is fair. He's more of a stash and watch develop guy. He won't crack the rotation this next year unless there's injuries. His versatility is what I'm looking at, specifically on defense. The block on the Nance dunk showed he's an athlete, just need to hone skills. Which I believe Fred can do. 

I understand your sentiment, but I look at his potential and see a lot for a 4. Like I said, I'm probably alone in this. 

I'm with you on this. I'm hoping we can somehow hold onto Akol.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Dachon Burke 6'4 Sr G

Cam Mack 6'2 Jr G

Derrick Walker 6'8 Jr F

Lat Mayen 6'9 Jr F

Teddy Allen 6'5 Jr G/F

Akol Arop 6'6 So F

Charlie Easley 6'2 So G

Dalano Banton 6'8 So G/F

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 So F

REDSHIRTING 

Kobe King 6'4 RJr G

Technically our roster for next year is:

Dachon Burke 6'4 Sr G

Jervay Green  6'3 Sr G

Cam Mack 6'2 Jr G

Derrick Walker 6'8 Jr F

Lat Mayen 6'9 Jr F

Teddy Allen 6'5 Jr G/F

Kobe King 6'4 Jr G

Kevin Cross  6'8 So F

Akol Arop 6'6 So F

Charlie Easley 6'2 So G

Dalano Banton 6'8 So G/F

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 So F

Jace Piatkowski 6'4 RS-FR G

Bret Porter 6'6 RS-FR F

Obviously attrition can happen. 

Edited by Minnesota_Husker

10 minutes ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

Technically our roster for next year is:

Dachon Burke 6'4 Sr G

Jervay Green  6'3 Sr G

Cam Mack 6'2 Jr G

Derrick Walker 6'8 Jr F

Lat Mayen 6'9 Jr F

Teddy Allen 6'5 Jr G/F

Kobe King 6'4 Jr G

Kevin Cross  6'8 So F

Akol Arop 6'6 So F

Charlie Easley 6'2 So G

Dalano Banton 6'8 So G/F

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 So F

Jace Piatkowski 6'4 RS-FR G

Bret Porter 6'6 RS-FR F

Obviously attrition can happen. 

This is a thread based on predictions. That was my prediction of the roster next year (scholarship players only). Sorry if that wasnt clear.

5 minutes ago, khoock said:

I mean he isnt eligible unless he gets a waiver, which he hasnt yet. Redshirt year or sit out year same difference to me.

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

This is a thread based on predictions. That was my prediction of the roster next year (scholarship players only). Sorry if that wasnt clear.

It's odd you're predicting two guys to transfer but not whether or not a guy gets a waiver

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's odd you're predicting two guys to transfer but not whether or not a guy gets a waiver

Wouldnt listing him as a RS and me stating I was using the term RS and sitout interchangeably imply i dont think he gets the waiver...

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Wouldnt listing him as a RS and me stating I was using the term RS and sitout interchangeably imply i dont think he gets the waiver...

Yeah but that's weird to predict he won't get the waiver (which by all accounts is actually very likely to happen and both he and the coaches feel confident he'll get it), but then predict Cross and Green will transfer. 

I think what hhcmatt is getting at is it's a total shot in the dark guessing that Cross and Green will transfer, but there is actual historical evidence and some sort of positive indication that Kobe King will be eligible to play next year. 

Just my two cents, not that anyone asked. 

Edited by GoBigFred

2 hours ago, GoBigFred said:

Yeah but that's weird to predict he won't get the waiver (which by all accounts is actually very likely to happen and both he and the coaches feel confident he'll get it), but then predict Cross and Green will transfer. 

I think what hhcmatt is getting at is it's a total shot in the dark guessing that Cross and Green will transfer, but there is actual historical evidence and some sort of positive indication that Kobe King will be eligible to play next year. 

Just my two cents, not that anyone asked. 

Im sure Kobe King has a great case and the staff believes he does too. But they don't make the call, the NCAA does. And I have no reason to believe they will make the right call as they are very inconsistent and idiotic at times with their rulings. Hoiberg and Co. thought Shamiel Stevenson (i know they are different cicrcumstances) had a good case too and that didnt get approved. So I wont hold my breath. That is my reasoning behind my prediction and I dont think there is anything weird about it.

Since we're on the topic of roster speculation, which one of these teams is the best Nebraska team that never was?

2019 - no Copeland injury, Jordy T sticks around

2018 - Jacobson or/and Ed or/and Horne stick around

2017 - AW the third doesn't turn into AW the turd, and Anton Gill is 100%

2016 - Petteway and Pitchford don't leave

2015 - Petteway and Pitchford don't fall apart, Biggs still here and productive

2014 - Biggs finds a way to coexist with the rest of the team

2013 - JBD and Standhardinger as seniors

2012 - no injuries, Standhardinger

2011 - Standhardinger finds a way to coexist with the rest of the team

2010 - with Sallie

2009 - admissions office doesn't fumble Sallie and JBD

2008 - Rishaan Norwood makes it, Joe McCray somehow still around

2007 - Joe McCray still there, Wilkinson and Dourisseau had redshirted

2006 - Joe McCray doesn't indulge in doobies and Big Macs that summer

2005 - someone else is coaching

2004 - someone else is coaching

2003 - someone else is coaching

2002 - someone else is coaching

2001 - Truscott and Walker still there, and someone else is coaching

2000 - no Belcher injury, Alvin Mithcell never transfers

1999 - Lue doesn't go pro

1998 - Mikki Moore had redshirted, Ideus and Mitchell still around

1997 - Surles, Ideus don't transfer

1996 - Gary Bargen still on the staff or someone else was head coach, no attitude problems from Boone

1995 - no attitude problems from Boone, Woolridge hadn't left

1994 - the mystery big man Danny thought was coming had showed up, Woolridge doesn't leave

1993 - Amos Gregory doesn't come in 50 lbs overweight

1992 - Farmer and Ramos stick around

1991 - Lewis Geter hadn't transferred, Johnny Benjamin had better hobbies than drugs and holdups

And so on.

24 minutes ago, REDZONEDAN said:

I’ve always believed if Lue sticks around for his senior year we have an NCAA tournament win.  Maybe I’m wrong but I’m sticking to that.

I'd have been surprised if we had ended up with a tournament win that year, in that circumstance.  I would not have been surprised if we'd ended up with 2 or 3 or 4.

Dead Dog Alley, that is one of the best posts in a long time. Great exhibition of your deep Husker knowledge. Regarding 1994, refresh my memory about "mystery big man". At first I thought it might be a reference to Osita Nwachukwu who Nee passed on, but that was in 1992. So I am stumped. By the way, kudos for remembering Johnny Benjamin! Your Husker knowledge is first rate. I remember being so excited about him (he averaged something like fifty points a game in h.s. 

While on this broad subject: how about a couple of other names that excited many of us: Delvon Harris and Ben Coupet! Both were school boy legends and were on their way to NU. Also, I read in a basketball book years ago and now cannot for the life of me find the source, that Wilt Chamberlain narrowed his college choices to NU and KU. When I read that I knew that something cosmic has happened....