Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

On 2/26/2020 at 12:22 PM, khoock said:

If eligible, how do we think King changes things next year? Gotta assume they want him eligible immediately for a reason. 

Not a good sign for Burke and/or Green imo.

BUrke is the one I am curious about.   To me...the writing seems to be on the wall for Green.

Okay im ready to talk...

STARTERS

- Cam Mack

- Teddy Allen

- Dalano Banton

- Shamiel Stevenson

- Derrick Walker

ROTATION 

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson 

- Yvan Ouedraogo 

- Lat Mayen

- Dachon Burke OR Jervay Green *still cant decide who is a better individual player and who fills a more important need for next year **sub Kobe King if he recieves a waiver

Feeling very confident about this prediction (as confident as you can be with this early of a prediction 😂😂😂). I could see Kevin Cross, Akol Arop, Charlie Easley, and Burke/Green (one or the other; and both if King is eligible) all looking for PT else where. Not that they couldnt contribute next year or, for the underclassmen, develop in to contributors but their roles/PT are going to be greatly diminished. Its just one of those things where once you get a taste of PT and a large role, you dont want to go back to a smallet role or riding the pine.

Edited by khoock

On 2/26/2020 at 8:10 PM, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Someone needs to find out from a legitimate source how we are doing w/ Sanogo and Whitt. We need a "deep throat" who can hip us to the doings behind the scenes. NU needs a thundering presence down low (Sanogo) and a successor to Mack- who will run a team in the NBA one day. I trust the staff but I do think we need some high level freshmen to develop over time. I am predicting we will see two players defect after this season.

You can’t be serious about Mack being an NBA point guard.   He is as far away from running an NBA team as I am.   Those teams aren’t exactly looking for undersized point guards who can’t finish through contact or make free throws.  It’s no shame to be a Euro player, and that’s where Cam will be.   Not even close to being an NBA player.   Would have to get a lot bigger and shoot it WAY better.  

40 minutes ago, khoock said:

- Dachon Burke OR Jervay Green 

At first thought I want to say Jervay Green bc our need for a backup PG is greater than our need for another wing. But as I think it through, I have no doubt Dalano Banton is more than capable of running the point and would be the one to do so if Mack went down. Which makes me lean towards Burke.

This lineup intrigues me the most

1)  Cam -  IMHO - The most impactful player we had this year.  Would like to see him distribute just a bit more as he tries to do too much sometimes.   Improve defensively.   Good player.  

2)  Banton -  Hoping the chatter on the board is accurate.    

3)  Allen -  I think he's a scorer that fits Hoiberg's offense to a T.     

4)   Stevenson.    Want that pop-out 4 that can shoot at a better % or put the ball on the floor. 

5)  Yvan  -  Gives us a rebound presence.  The double-double games shows us some potential.  Should get better at offense and FT.   

We should have a strong bench.  I am not sure who is coming back though. I do think we will have everything covered as far as ball handlers,bigs and  wings.  

15 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Let the off-season play out.

Totally being an asshole on purpose here (so dont take me seriously). But then lets not make any predictions at the beginning of seasons or before games either... JUST LET THEM PLAY OUT!!!

This is a thread based solely on predictions and guesses. Let us who choose to partake in it have our fun!!!

Edited by khoock

Just now, rwhiston said:

Lat Mayen 81% FT

Kobe King 67% FT

Teddy Allen 88% FT

Derrick Walker 34% FT

Shamiel Stevenson 60% FT

Dalano Banton 56% FT

I don’t know what this means. But all these numbers are better than today. 

Hopefully Teddy Allen is a guy that gets to the line a lot.....especially in close games.

14 minutes ago, khoock said:

No Walker, Green, Easley, and Arop

Correct.  The only one I think might prove me wrong is Walker because I haven’t see him play, but I think Mayen is going to be a really nice player for us and Banton could be extremely special if he can guard the 4 and stay on the court with Cam.  Mayen is a good rebounder at 6’9”, can shoot 3s, and is 80% at the line.  I’m sick and tired of seeing front court offensive liabilities in this program. 

40 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Correct.  The only one I think might prove me wrong is Walker because I haven’t see him play, but I think Mayen is going to be a really nice player for us and Banton could be extremely special if he can guard the 4 and stay on the court with Cam.  Mayen is a good rebounder at 6’9”, can shoot 3s, and is 80% at the line.  I’m sick and tired of seeing front court offensive liabilities in this program. 

Agree. I have Cross out and Walker in.

Firstly, I want to apologize to HB for my misguided thoughts about Mack. I was blinded by periodic flashes where he was almost impossible to guard. (the potential to get a triple-double), but as the season has ground on he is regressing rapidly. Initially, I saw elements of former UT and NBA star T.J. Ford in his game. However, on average, his shot is poor, the free throws laughable and he gets easily distracted at times. If things are going well he stays present and involved, if not- which is almost always- he is borderline petulant. These are terrible qualities in a ball-handling guard. 

Earlier in the year I was among many on this board who hoped we wouldn't suffer much (or any) attrition at the termination of the season. Now I could care less. I look up and down the roster and ask myself if I hope anyone returns outside of Ouedraogo and Thorbjarnarsen. Ouedraogo really is coming on strong as a very young freshman, though ironically he is one of the few who don't play Hoiberg's beloved "position-less basketball'. Not surprising the two disciplined and hard working players are non-Americans.

About this 'position-less basketball'- it seems impossible to me that a team that hopes to win more than a game or two in its league cannot do so without a strong inside presence, but what the hell- NU isn't paying me five million a year to design the team. Ouedraogo works hard and doesn't complain or pout. I think he has the makings of being a very strong contributor to future Big Ten squads, but again, he doesn't shoot from outside.... Naturally, it being NU, he will probably be the one who bails out, although who could blame him? Who wants to get the shit knocked out of him every night for a year (four) straight? Thorbjarnarsen is a quality piece, but I could see him wearying of playing for the league doormat for his whole career. If one is going to get beaten to a pulp every game he might as well get paid.

As for Mack, I still think he could become an excellent player but he had better realize how much work he needs to put in. HB, you are right about him: no one in the N.B.A. will put the ball in the hands of a player who cannot shoot either from the floor or the line and who is injury prone, often needs disciplinary action to motivate him and doesn't handle adversity well. I got excited when his name was seen on the draft boards. What a fool I was. 

Looking at the rest of the roster I see Green as likely gone. He seems vaguely likable but clearly isn't capable of playing Big Ten ball. Unless he transforms next season he is a waste of a scholarship. Burke could help if he is NU's eighth or ninth option next year perhaps, but is quite skinny. Better by far than Green, but I have heard whispers he will be leaving next season.

Arop? Easley? Both are coachable and high character guys but obviously not Big Ten players. At least Easley can't hurt NU (as long as he isn't shooting threes) if he doesn't consume a scholarship, but recall, Arop couldn't find minutes on one of the worst Power 5 conference teams in history! (The worst I've ever seen!) How the hell will he play next year if the new players are better than this year's? (Although now I will reserve judgment on the quality of the sit-out transfers) I hear about the sit out players whipping the starters nearly every practice. Yeah? What's your point?!

Initially I was very high on Cross but now I just don't know how he fits into what Hoiberg purports to want to do. Run, shoot, and out-hustle every opponent. I don't know if he has the demeanor or the physical skills.

I think the smartest player was Samari Curtis!

In short, I can't see anyone long-suffering NU fan giving a f*** who returns next season. This year was supposed to portend great things going forward, but I see very little to recommend anyone being encouraged going forward. This skinny, fast-paced NU team just shot 8-30 at the free throw line at home on Senior Day! Think about that and try to find another performance worse than that at any level from jr. high to the professionals. I challenge anyone to find a worse performance (26.7% FT) by a team if the criterion is say, more than 20 attempts in a game.

That said, next season's team once again will largely be a completely new, inexperience team again. Why should we think they will improve? Will they play as a team together next season? I look at this disgusting mess and wonder what Hoiberg must think. He's obviously a brilliant mind, but this isn't Iowa St. It is the NCAA's historically lowliest team.

I know having an incoming player like Allen gives some reason for optimism, but Mayen and King? Mayen is a nice player by most measures but is only ranked in the Top 40 of Junior College! NU just had two Top 5 Jr. College players in our back court this year (Mack/Green)....

King is a solid player but has had major surgery on his knee and was averaging about ten points for UW. He could be very good, but my point is there is nothing to suggest NU is poised to make a leap next year, or even be much better than this year. Every conference team is recruiting as well, or better, some far better....

Is possible for anyone in the wide world who can make NU great in basketball? Seriously. Would Coach K or Calipari be able to win at NU consistently? Or even be decent on a yearly basis? I should have known the season was lost after getting the shit beaten out of us on opening night by U.C. Riverside in Lincoln!

I'm asking all Husker fans to think about this soberly. A week from today NU will sit at 7-24 after having been annihilated at Michigan and Minnesota, respectively.Two days later an opening round embarrassment will mercifully end this season, at which point the frantic evacuation will begin. If you are honest, not a single person on this board thought we would be close to this bad this year, and unless they do some actual recruiting- not just signing people recklessly, there is no reason for optimism. 

I know this may sound hysterical but 120+ years of futility begins to take on a patina of the ineluctable, so before casting stones at me just remember this: NU shot 26.7% FT as a team on Senior Day.  (and I am waiting for someone to show me a worse FT shooting performance as a team!) Go on, do your worst.

26 minutes ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Earlier in the year I was among many on this board who hoped we wouldn't suffer much (or any) attrition at the termination of the season. Now I could care less. I look up and down the roster and ask myself if I hope anyone returns outside of Ouedraogo and Thorbjarnarsen.

Yep. Watching Mack wears me out. At the beginning of February, I wanted to see:

• Yvan improve (check)
  • Mack carry the team to at least one more upset (he doesn't have the skills or demeanor to do that; will he ever?)
  • Thor show that he can still produce next year in a back-of-the-rotation role (check)

If Cam is back, great. If not — NEXT!

2 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Firstly, I want to apologize to HB for my misguided thoughts about Mack. I was blinded by periodic flashes where he was almost impossible to guard. (the potential to get a triple-double), but as the season has ground on he is regressing rapidly. Initially, I saw elements of former UT and NBA star T.J. Ford in his game. However, on average, his shot is poor, the free throws laughable and he gets easily distracted at times. If things are going well he stays present and involved, if not- which is almost always- he is borderline petulant. These are terrible qualities in a ball-handling guard. 

Earlier in the year I was among many on this board who hoped we wouldn't suffer much (or any) attrition at the termination of the season. Now I could care less. I look up and down the roster and ask myself if I hope anyone returns outside of Ouedraogo and Thorbjarnarsen. Ouedraogo really is coming on strong as a very young freshman, though ironically he is one of the few who don't play Hoiberg's beloved "position-less basketball'. Not surprising the two disciplined and hard working players are non-Americans.

About this 'position-less basketball'- it seems impossible to me that a team that hopes to win more than a game or two in its league cannot do so without a strong inside presence, but what the hell- NU isn't paying me five million a year to design the team. Ouedraogo works hard and doesn't complain or pout. I think he has the makings of being a very strong contributor to future Big Ten squads, but again, he doesn't shoot from outside.... Naturally, it being NU, he will probably be the one who bails out, although who could blame him? Who wants to get the shit knocked out of him every night for a year (four) straight? Thorbjarnarsen is a quality piece, but I could see him wearying of playing for the league doormat for his whole career. If one is going to get beaten to a pulp every game he might as well get paid.

As for Mack, I still think he could become an excellent player but he had better realize how much work he needs to put in. HB, you are right about him: no one in the N.B.A. will put the ball in the hands of a player who cannot shoot either from the floor or the line and who is injury prone, often needs disciplinary action to motivate him and doesn't handle adversity well. I got excited when his name was seen on the draft boards. What a fool I was. 

Looking at the rest of the roster I see Green as likely gone. He seems vaguely likable but clearly isn't capable of playing Big Ten ball. Unless he transforms next season he is a waste of a scholarship. Burke could help if he is NU's eighth or ninth option next year perhaps, but is quite skinny. Better by far than Green, but I have heard whispers he will be leaving next season.

Arop? Easley? Both are coachable and high character guys but obviously not Big Ten players. At least Easley can't hurt NU (as long as he isn't shooting threes) if he doesn't consume a scholarship, but recall, Arop couldn't find minutes on one of the worst Power 5 conference teams in history! (The worst I've ever seen!) How the hell will he play next year if the new players are better than this year's? (Although now I will reserve judgment on the quality of the sit-out transfers) I hear about the sit out players whipping the starters nearly every practice. Yeah? What's your point?!

Initially I was very high on Cross but now I just don't know how he fits into what Hoiberg purports to want to do. Run, shoot, and out-hustle every opponent. I don't know if he has the demeanor or the physical skills.

In short, I can't see anyone long-suffering NU fan giving a f*** who returns next season. This year was supposed to portend great things going forward, but I see very little to recommend anyone being encouraged going forward. This skinny, fast-paced NU team just shot 8-30 at the free throw line at home on Senior Day! Think about that and try to find another performance worse than that at any level from jr. high to the professionals. I challenge anyone to find a worse performance (26.7% FT) by a team if the criterion is say, more than 20 attempts in a game.

That said, next season's team once again will largely be a completely new, inexperience team again. Why should we think they will improve? Will they play as a team together next season? I look at this disgusting mess and wonder what Hoiberg must think. He's obviously a brilliant mind, but this isn't Iowa St. It is the NCAA's historically lowliest team.

I know having an incoming player like Allen gives some reason for optimism, but Mayen and King? Mayen is a nice player by most measures but is only ranked in the Top 40 of Junior College! NU just had two Top 5 Jr. College players in our back court this year (Mack/Green)....

King is a solid player but has had major surgery on his knee and was averaging about ten points for UW. He could be very good, but my point is there is nothing to suggest NU is poised to make a leap next year, or even be much better than this year. Every conference team is recruiting as well, or better, some far better....

Is possible for anyone in the wide world who can make NU great in basketball? Seriously. Would Coach K or Calipari be able to win at NU consistently? Or even be decent on a yearly basis? I should have known the season was lost after getting the shit beaten out of us on opening night by U.C. Riverside in Lincoln!

I'm asking all Husker fans to think about this soberly. A week from today NU will sit at 7-24 after having been annihilated at Michigan and Minnesota, respectively.Two days later an opening round embarrassment will mercifully end this season, at which point the frantic evacuation will begin. If you are honest, not a single person on this board thought we would be close to this bad this year, and unless they do some actual recruiting- not just signing people recklessly, there is no reason for optimism. 

I know this may sound hysterical but 120+ years of futility begins to take on a patina of the ineluctable, so before casting stones at me just remember this: NU shot 26.7% FT as a team on Senior Day.  (and I am waiting for someone to show me a worse FT shooting performance as a team!) Go on, do your worst.

Maybe it's in the best interest of your sanity to go wherever Norm's been for awhile. 

2 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

*their

Of the scholarship players who could possibly return (I don't count Easley as he would go back to walk-on), here is my thought:

Arop - 1% he is back next year, needs to be at a mid major

Cross - 33% he is back next year, was much higher a month or so ago but is fading rapidly. He is our worst 3pt shooter of anyone who's attempted more than 30. Rebounds worse than Thor, Mack, Green. I had high hopes for his ceiling but just doesn't seem like he's getting any better. Worse in fact. 4 mins vs NW was a season-low. Yikes. 

Mack - 50%. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes overseas to play. He is the only player that I really do not want to lose, but if we did, we might be ok still. 

Stevenson - 99.9% he is here next year and should be in the Top 8 at the very least.

Burke - 50%. I doubt he really wants to transfer again, and he could have a role as a scoring option off the bench, which is a much better major-level role for him than a starter playing 30mpg.

Walker - 99.9% he is here next year and in the Top 8. 

Green - 20%. We're going to need scholarships most likely and he's not a Big Ten guard. Hope he finds success somewhere, but I can't see any reason Fred has him on scholly here next year.

Yvan - 80% he is here next year, although I could see a situation where he barely plays. 

Thor - 50%. Nebraska or international pro ball. That will be his decision. I believe Fred would want him back as he is the only guy on our team who can shoot reasonably well. But I could see Thor leaving while his stock is fairly high, and I assume he'll have his degree...?

Banton - 99.9% he is here next year and playing a ton.

------

Mack

King

Allen

Banton

Walker

---

Thor

Stevenson

Yvan

Mayen

Burke

(Cross)

(Green)

if we do return Mack, Thor and Yvan, which I assume the staff wants all three back, then we are looking at Burke/Cross/Green being the 10-11-12 guys. That's a crazy situation when you think about how this year has played out. No way all three are here, and probably 2/3 are not here. 

If NOBODY who is playing this year returns, our lineup (aka worst case scenario) should still look like this next year:

PG Banton

SG King (assuming eligibility, though I guess if he didn't get it then worst case scenario actually gets worse, which with Nebrasketball...nevermind)

SF Allen

PF Stevenson

C Walker

---

PF Mayen

new scholly 

new scholly 

new scholly

new scholly

sit-out transfer

sit-out transfer

This 6-man lineup is probably still better than any 6-man rotation we've had this year. Add in any of the potential returnees (Mack, Thor, Burke, Green, Cross, Yvan, Arop) and we'll be OK. Not great, just OK. Which is OK for me next year. But 2022 better be an NCAA Tournament team.

19 hours ago, khoock said:

Totally being an asshole on purpose here (so dont take me seriously). But then lets not make any predictions at the beginning of seasons or before games either... JUST LET THEM PLAY OUT!!!

This is a thread based solely on predictions and guesses. Let us who choose to partake in it have our fun!!!

Which is fair. So I'll bite

The guys who I'm certain will be back that are playing this year: Yvan, one of Green/Burke, and arop (I'm probably alone but he's worth developing. He's really raw but the athleticism leaps out. Long term a 4 is a better fit for him. It's more about I want him back )

Guys who I believe are a toss up: Mack, Thor, Easley, and Cross. Mack and Thor might want to get paid to play. Cross will probably bump down to a lower conference. Easley can probably get a full scholarship somewhere, which is good for him

I think there will be about 2-4 guys that are playing right now who return next year, with Yvan being the most likely. Rest can go a variety of ways

27 minutes ago, thrasher31 said:

Which is fair. So I'll bite

The guys who I'm certain will be back that are playing this year: Yvan, one of Green/Burke, and arop (I'm probably alone but he's worth developing. He's really raw but the athleticism leaps out. Long term a 4 is a better fit for him. It's more about I want him back )

Guys who I believe are a toss up: Mack, Thor, Easley, and Cross. Mack and Thor might want to get paid to play. Cross will probably bump down to a lower conference. Easley can probably get a full scholarship somewhere, which is good for him

I think there will be about 2-4 guys that are playing right now who return next year, with Yvan being the most likely. Rest can go a variety of ways

I will be absolutely positively shocked if Arop is one of our 13 scholarship players next year. Nothing against the kid, just don't see how he fits in to our future if we intend to rebuild quickly.