Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, khoock said:

If eligible, how do we think King changes things next year? Gotta assume they want him eligible immediately for a reason. 

Not a good sign for Burke and/or Green imo.

Green and Burke leaving would not surprise me. Another scenario would be that Thor could opt to play professionally in Iceland or Europe. If he has a degree perhaps he opts to make some money ASAP. I think I remember somebody here posting that his family values education and that maybe money is not a huge issue for him. I'm not even sure whether he is on track to graduate. Thor is a guy I would most definitely want back, so I hope he sticks around. If we have more guys who can get to the rim next year, he could see a fair amount of open looks spotting up. As for whether I'd take Green or Burke, my son says Green has greater upside. I think he's probably right, but Burke has produced way more than Green, so I'd probably opt for Burke.  

Which is the better lineup?

1. Mack
  2. Allen
  3. Banton
  4. Stevenson
  5. Ouedraogo OR Walker

BENCH: King, Thor, Cross, Burke, Mayen, Green, Easley, Yvan OR Walker

OR

1. Banton
  2. Allen
  3. King
  4. Stevenson
  5. Ouedraogo OR Walker

BENCH: Mack, Thor, Cross, Burke, Mayen, Green, Easley, Yvan OR Walker

In other words, could the acquisition of King be a bad sign for Cam Mack, what with Banton able to play the point?

8 minutes ago, jayschool said:

1. Mack
  2. Allen
  3. Banton
  4. Stevenson
  5. Ouedraogo OR Walker

OR

1. Banton
  2. Allen
  3. King
  4. Stevenson
  5. Ouedraogo OR Walker

In other words, could the acquisition of King be a bad sign for Cam Mack, what with Banton able to play the point?

I agree. Banton is a point.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:36 AM, bball23 said:

I apologize if this has been brought up.  Robin in his weekly chat deal mentioned there may be news soon of an immediate impact recruit.  Which could then give us a different look on all of the lineup projections for next year.  Will be interested to see the news!

Well, I guess we now know who Robin was talking about (Kobe King)!  Still have hope on Carter Whitt and Adama Sanogo though!  :thumbsup: 

Someone needs to find out from a legitimate source how we are doing w/ Sanogo and Whitt. We need a "deep throat" who can hip us to the doings behind the scenes. NU needs a thundering presence down low (Sanogo) and a successor to Mack- who will run a team in the NBA one day. I trust the staff but I do think we need some high level freshmen to develop over time. I am predicting we will see two players defect after this season.

53 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Why are we speculating about who won’t be here next season.  All should return.  Where is Burke or Green going with one year of eligibility and neither probably a graduate?

If Dachon Burke is taking care of business, he would be able to graduate transfer and be eligible immediately.

Jervay Green would be a sit one to play one unless he some how got a waiver to be immediate eligible. Which at this point is like me throwing darts at a dart board (you never really know whats going to happen).

I for one hope both stay bc im all about competition and sans attrition, we are shaping up to have an ultra competitive roster for starting and rotation spots.

Some players would see taking someone like Kobe King and seeking out immediate eligibility as writing on the wall. Others will be bold enough to bet on themselves. The world we live in makes me think the former is more likely. But we will see.

11 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

As it stands, there will be no freshmen on next season's roster. Is this common? Is it a concern? Thoughts?

If Arop redshirts, he would be an RS freshman. Same with Easley. And, of course, Jace and Porter will be RS freshmen.

Is that in the cards? Don't know, but it's possible if we see a future for Arop and Easley.

Next year, we'll have lots of talent at the point and wings: Mack, Banton, King, Allen, Burke, Green and Thor (possibly Stevenson, too), if everybody stays. Easley could sit and mature.

We'll also have lots of bodies up front: Stevenson, Walker, Ouedraogo, Cross and Mayen, if everybody stays. Arop could sit and improve his game, especially if he's a 3/4 hybrid player who needs to develop his shot and his ball handling.

Edited by jayschool

19 hours ago, jayschool said:

1. Mack
  2. Allen
  3. Banton
  4. Stevenson
  5. Ouedraogo OR Walker

OR

1. Banton
  2. Allen
  3. King
  4. Stevenson
  5. Ouedraogo OR Walker

No way you bench Mack. He could be a all big ten point guard with the right guys around him. 

Banton is still an unknown but the hype seems real on him-- still think of him as an off guard. 

I think you start the year with:

PG- Mack

G- Banton

G- Allen

F- Walker

C/F- Ouedraogo

I think guys like Stevenson, King, Cross and Burke see major minutes but thats how you start it at least. Thor probably has earned his way into some decent minutes but we have a log jam at that 2/3 area. I know i might be stretching putting both Walker and Ouedraogo out there at the same time, but I think we start a game physical and then work into speed.

A lot of this depends on how guys progress in the offseason. If Cross can continue to work on his body I do think he is a guy who has the talent to be a pretty good option for us. At this point I wonder if Green will be here... No idea what to expect with Mayen.

34 minutes ago, jayschool said:

If Arop redshirts, he would be an RS freshman. Same with Easley. And, of course, Jace and Porter will be RS freshmen.

Is that in the cards? Don't know, but it's possible if we see a future for Arop and Easley.

Next year, we'll have lots of talent at the point and wings: Mack, Banton, King, Allen, Burke, Green and Thor (possibly Stevenson, too), if everybody stays. Easley could sit and mature.

We'll also have lots of bodies up front: Stevenson, Walker, Ouedraogo, Cross and Mayen, if everybody stays. Arop could sit and improve his game, especially if he's a 3/4 hybrid player who needs to develop his shot and his ball handling.

My guess is Easley wont be on scholarship, so is he willing to do that knowing he then has to pay for another year?

Easley strikes me as a guy who will keep showing how valuable he can be and work his way into some minutes. 

1 minute ago, Minnesota_Husker said:

No way you bench Mack. He could be a all big ten point guard with the right guys around him. 

Banton is still an unknown but the hype seems real on him-- still think of him as an off guard. 

I think you start the year with:

PG- Mack

G- Banton

G- Allen

F- Walker

C/F- Ouedraogo

I think guys like Stevenson, King, Cross and Burke see major minutes but thats how you start it at least. Thor probably has earned his way into some decent minutes but we have a log jam at that 2/3 area. I know i might be stretching putting both Walker and Ouedraogo out there at the same time, but I think we start a game physical and then work into speed.

A lot of this depends on how guys progress in the offseason. If Cross can continue to work on his body I do think he is a guy who has the talent to be a pretty good option for us. At this point I wonder if Green will be here... No idea what to expect with Mayen.

Great thoughts.

I've actually come around to the idea that Banton is the perfect 6th man, able to play 25-30 minutes anywhere on the court from 1-4, if Hoiberg's own hype about him is true.

In that case, the 120 minutes per game at the point and wing positions could be spread pretty evenly among Mack, King, Allen and Banton, with Burke and Green playing as needed, if both are still around.

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Do you have any recent examples of DI kids playing/not redshirting their freshman year then non-medical redshirting their sophomore year? This just seems VERY unlikely...

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

It's a concern if one believes the best way to build a program is to have guys for 4-5 years. 

I think you need a mixture of guys who have been here for a while or you run into a situation like this year where everyone is new to everything and that takes a toll.

I have some concerns with how next years team is going to add a bunch of new guys again but thankfully 3 of them are here now and just practicing. It will take time but I certainly dont shy away from the guys who are here 4 years as helping with consistency but can also be just fine with 1-2 year guys if they bring talent/plug weak spots.