Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

I want to see Arop at about 210-215# before I make any decisions on him. I still think he can play at this level. But he is now looking at an older and, what seems to be, very talented group of front court players.

Worst case scenario, we have an instate kid riding the pine for four years.

Best case scenario, he bides his time and develops his game and body so that he can crack the rotation as a JR/SR.

5 hours ago, khoock said:

I want to see Arop at about 210-215# before I make any decisions on him. I still think he can play at this level. But he is now looking at an older and, what seems to be, very talented group of front court players.

Worst case scenario, we have an instate kid riding the pine for four years.

Best case scenario, he bides his time and develops his game and body so that he can crack the rotation as a JR/SR.

Doubt the coaching staff will allow a scholarship to ride pine for four years, but we'll see how it plays out. I think he'd be a perfect player for UNO.

20 minutes ago, GoBigFred said:

Doubt the coaching staff will allow a scholarship to ride pine for four years, but we'll see how it plays out. I think he'd be a perfect player for UNO.

Could be a perfect player for us. Sometimes players need time to develop (i.e  most recently, Thor). When you are allotted 13 scholarships and only play 8 or 9, a guy or two riding the bench more than likely wont hurt you. But yes, we will see how it plays out.

Watched a few of Lat’s JUCO games.  Love how the kid plays.  He’s very under control and his points are extremely efficient.  He takes open shots (and makes them), runs the court and moves without the ball extremely well, always tries to rebound, has a very quick first step, and is a generally unselfish player.  I think he has a little bit of work to do with his perimeter defense when guarding smaller guards on switches, but he’s very adequate guarding the 3 or 4.  I think he’ll split minutes with Cross at the 4. Cross is a better 1o1 and post player.  Lat is a much better shooter from deep and at the line.  They will compliment each other well and may actually be able to play at the same time in some scenarios.  Love the pickup.  

Cam 

Banton - Burke

Allen - Thor

Lat - Cross

Stevenson - Walker/Yvan

My guess right now... 

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I watched a lot of Jervey last year.  I thought he was a can't miss player.  Hard to judge Jucos until they get here.  But perhaps many thought Jervey would struggle.  Who knows?

I think Cam is the exception and not the norm with 1st year JUCO players.

35 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I watched a lot of Jervey last year.  I thought he was a can't miss player.  Hard to judge Jucos until they get here.  But perhaps many thought Jervey would struggle.  Who knows?

I don’t think Lat will have that problem.  His size and skillset should transfer and fit Fred’s system.  He’s not a ball dominant player,  yet he’s quite skilled for 6’8”.  He’s what we wanted Kavas to be.  

44 minutes ago, 49r said:

Anybody that doesn't have Thorir in the starting lineup next year, or at least a heavy rotation guy, I think is missing the boat:

It's more clear to me all the time that coach Hoiberg *really* likes the Thorbjarnarson kid!

To add to this - it's going to be a weird year for a lot of guys next year. Could definitely see some chemistry issues based off of how much Burke and Thor have played and lead us, and then other, more talented guys playing. 

I really really hope that our returning players from this season bring the right attitude coming into next season. Im talking about looking at these incoming guys and saying why you think you get to come in here and play over me? I played through all the ass kickings last season and took my lumps. I was out here learning the playbook and learning the intricacies of B1G bball not you. Im not about to just be a stop gap until yall become eligible!!!

Thats what im hoping to get out of our returning wings and front court players. Yes we have talented players coming in but I also think we have some dogs on the team that arent gonna relinquish their PT so easily. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 9:44 AM, 49r said:

Anybody that doesn't have Thorir in the starting lineup next year, or at least a heavy rotation guy, I think is missing the boat:

It's more clear to me all the time that coach Hoiberg *really* likes the Thorbjarnarson kid!

I don't think Thor will start next year but fully expect him to heavily in the rotation and get plenty of minutes each game.

4 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Hadn't seen this before, but Cam's listed late-2nd round on nbadraft.net:

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

(Realistic) Attrition Tracker:

- Dachon Burke: grad transfer candidate upon graduation

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson: go pro

- Jervay Green: sit one to play one

- Cam Mack: go pro

- Akol Arop: sit one to play three

- Yvan Ouedraogo: sit one to play three

- Kevin Cross: sit one to play three

- Charlie Easley: sit one to play three

Attrition is a tricky beast but i think these would be the most likely scenario for each player. Our three players sitting out could also transfer or even go pro but it is very unlikely. Hell even Teddy Allen or Lat Mayen could go pro in some capacity, but once again very unlikely.

58 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I think it is hard enough to get any player to voluntarily sit a year, let alone multiple players. I would assume this is a "wish list " of potentials. 

If you are referring to my list above, it is not a wish list of who i want to leave (i listed every returning scholarship player for next year). Just a list of the most likely scenario in which each player could leave. Its very likely that 1-3 of those scenarios will occur this off season; which combinations, I have no idea.

I think we can all agree that Cam is the most likely to hold his starting position moving into next year.

However, who would have thought that our next most likely holdover would have been Thor.  That kid is playing like a mad man.  He was 3-4 from DEEP to start yesterday.

My favorite thing about him is that he isn’t a volume shooter.  He doesn’t need 15-20 shots to score 15-20 points.  Most of his shots are in rhythm and efficient.  He doesn’t force things like a lot of our guys this year.  When you combine that with his solid BBall IQ, we have ourselves a player.

Not saying Thor is going to start next year or that it’s even likely.  I am saying that we could have a 6th man of the year award in Thor though!  It’ll also be nice to have him pushing the other guys for PT.  One worry that I had earlier this year was that we’d have too many guys just “walking in” to a starting position and PT.  With Thor and Charlie, I don’t think that’s the case now.

56 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think we can all agree that Cam is the most likely to hold his starting position moving into next year.

However, who would have thought that our next most likely holdover would have been Thor.  That kid is playing like a mad man.  He was 3-4 from DEEP to start yesterday.

My favorite thing about him is that he isn’t a volume shooter.  He doesn’t need 15-20 shots to score 15-20 points.  Most of his shots are in rhythm and efficient.  He doesn’t force things like a lot of our guys this year.  When you combine that with his solid BBall IQ, we have ourselves a player.

Not saying Thor is going to start next year or that it’s even likely.  I am saying that we could have a 6th man of the year award in Thor though!  It’ll also be nice to have him pushing the other guys for PT.  One worry that I had earlier this year was that we’d have too many guys just “walking in” to a starting position and PT.  With Thor and Charlie, I don’t think that’s the case now.

I'm starting to think Thor is a starter next year.  He is our best deadeye shooter, and my understanding is that none of the guys sitting out this year are true shooters.  Teddy is a marksman, but is also just a fantastic scorer in general.  I think Fred values shooting enough that he wants multiple deep threats in his starting lineup.  Thor is working his way into being a multi-year starter here at Nebraska.  Who'd a thunk it?

On a fairly slow (NU) basketball night I want to submit my (likely) starting five for next year.

Mack

Banton

Allen

Stevenson

Cross

I think Cross is special. One of my fav. Husker freshmen I have seen. His skill set is rare and I think he blossoms next year. He has elements of former O.S.U. great Byron Houston- thorn in NUs side... had all those years ago. He is really smart; has excellent ball-handling skills and a deft touch. Frankly, I think he should be starting now, though I know nothing compared to Coach. I really hope coach impresses upon young Cross how important his role is going forward.

Just looking at the list of contributors next year is formidable as well:

Thorbjarnarson

Ouedraogo

Easley

Burke

Mayen

Walker

Green

I don't see Arop returning, by the way. If he doesn't see appreciable minutes on a struggling team this season what chance is there next year with the significant upgrade in talent?

Now, here's hoping we land stellar lead guard Carter Whitt, provided he reclassifies for next season, and some prime-time front court stud, be he from the grad-transfer route or any other way.

12 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

On a fairly slow (NU) basketball night I want to submit my (likely) starting five for next year.

Mack

Banton

Allen

Stevenson

Cross

I think Cross is special. One of my fav. Husker freshmen I have seen. His skill set is rare and I think he blossoms next year. He has elements of former O.S.U. great Byron Houston- thorn in NUs side... had all those years ago. He is really smart; has excellent ball-handling skills and a deft touch. Frankly, I think he should be starting now, though I know nothing compared to Coach. I really hope coach impresses upon young Cross how important his role is going forward.

Just looking at the list of contributors next year is formidable as well:

Thorbjarnarson

Ouedraogo

Easley

Burke

Mayen

Walker

Green

I don't see Arop returning, by the way. If he doesn't see appreciable minutes on a struggling team this season what chance is there next year with the significant upgrade in talent?

Now, here's hoping we land stellar lead guard Carter Whitt, provided he reclassifies for next season, and some prime-time front court stud, be he from the grad-transfer route or any other way.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, but I'd flip Cross and Stevenson.  I think Stevenson can play the 5 with his 245lb frame.  I don't think we'll see Cross at the 5 again after this season.  

13 hours ago, Husker Hoops Penitent said:

Mack

Banton

Allen

Stevenson

Cross

Cross is going to have to show me a little bit more before I would nominate him a starter, personally.  29% from deep and 37% from the field is rough.  Easley and Burke are the only two that have shot worse from three.  I know that Fred said at the beginning of the year that he was consistent in practice, but it just hasn't shown in games.  Now in addition to that, I am really disappointed at times on D.  While he does go for rebounds at times, he tends to play "ole" defense during games and that leads to a lot of easy buckets for the other team.  Personally, I think that, if he were playing good enough to start in practice and games, he would be.  Yuv isn't providing so much during his starts that we couldn't start Cross.

Lastly, I keep thinking back to a few weeks ago when Fred said that our three sitting out beat our starters.  While the majority could have been Banton and Stevenson, I think that Walker would probably be a major part of that as the other two are walk-ons.

After all of that however, there are times where Cross does something and I am like "wow."  I don't think that there isn't a place for him on this team moving forward.  I personally think that he will be a solid contributor in the years to come.  I'm just not ready to go out on a limb and say that he will be a starter on a team that should add a wealth of talent next year.