Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

Very good point @Norm Peterson

Next year's roster is definitely lacking shooting. Thor is currently our top shooter. Green, Teddy Allen, and Kevin Cross (on paper) should be good shooters. Shamiel was a 36-37% guy if i recall correctly; however, not sure about what his volume looked like.

With the rest of the roster, we gotta trust the Shot Doctor i suppose.

Just to follow up:

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson is at a ridiculous 46% from downtown

- Cam Mack is currently shooting 37% from deep (much better than expected)

- Dachon Burke is shooting 35%

- Charlie Easley is at 33%

- Jervay Green is at a disappointing 30%

- Kevin Cross is at a disappointing 26%

- Akol Arop (1 attempt) and Yvan Ouedraogo (0 attempts) are putting up a goose egg

Looking ahead to next year, I do not think its realistic to expect Cam Mack or Dachon Burke to improve drastically. If they can stay at that 37-38% range that would be great. Thor's percentage will come back down to Earth (right?). I expect Cross and Green to improve by a decent amount. I also expect Shamiel Stevenson and Teddy Allen to be above average to good shooters from deep. Plus whatever Dalano Banton and Derrick Walker provide.

So my starting 8 man rotation would look something like this (from deep):

- C. Mack 37% --> expect to maintain 

- D. Burke 35% --> expect to slightly improve

- Teddy Allen --> expect to be in the 35-40% range 

- Dalano Banton --> dont know what to expect; complete wildcard

- Yvan Ouedraogo 0 attempts --> do not expect 3's as an underclassman 

- Jervay Green 30% --> expect to improve into 35-38% range 

- Shamiel Stevenson 39% on 1.1 attempts per game --> expect to slightly decrease; higher volume

- Derrick Walker --> dont know what to expect; heard he's working on 3s during RS year

Definitely not a lights out shooting team. But 6 out of those 8 guys will have to be respected from deep (in accordance with my predictions).

Honestly I'd try really hard to redshirt Yvan next season if at all possible by bringing in a grad transfer or juco big. Then spend the other scholarship on a guard with at least 2 years to play. *either a freshman or transfer who can redshirt.

So 2020/21 Depth Chart:

Mack/Green/Burke
Burke/Green/Thor
Allen/Thor/Stevenson
Banton/Stevenson/Cross
Walker/Cross/GTr or JUCO Big (Mayen)

Bench: Arop, Easley, Porter 

Redshirts:  Yvan, Fr/Tr Guard (O'Bannon?), 

Assuming I did this right, the depth chart scholarship breakdown for 20/21 would be:

pg jr sr sr
sg sr sr sr
sf jr sr jr
pf so jr so
c  jr so sr

giving you a 21/22 outlook of 

mack/redshirt guard/freshman point guard
Allen/redshirt guard/Arop (or sallis)
Banton/Stevenson/Arop
Cross/Mayan/Stevenson
Walker/Yvan/Cross

with Burke, Green, Thor, and possibly Arop (if we land Sallis for sure) coming off the books for 4 scholarships to spend towards filling that group out with a young PG, a redshirtable big and 2 wings.. (Carter-Witt and Sallis would be a great start here)

Edited by Blackshirt83

Breakdown of scholarships by eligibility

SENIORS

- Dachon Burke

- Jervay Green

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson 

JUNIORS

- Cam Mack

- Derrick Walker

- Lat Mayen

- Shamiel Stevenson

- Teddy Allen

SOPHOMORES

- Akol Arop

- Dalano Banton 

- Kevin Cross

- Yvan Ouedraogo

No current freshman and one open scholarship.

What an amazing roster turnover in just two years.  Depth of talent is considerable and appears to be at the BIG level.  Next year will be interesting as Fred finds the right pieces.  I hope this is the NCAA team we have been waiting for.

When Fred was hired, I predicted (to my wife) that year 3 is the year we win a game or two at the NCAA tournament.  I think I was wrong and should have said year 2 is the year we do it.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Breakdown of scholarships by eligibility

SENIORS

- Dachon Burke

- Jervay Green

- Thorir Thorbjarnarson 

JUNIORS

- Cam Mack

- Derrick Walker

- Lat Mayen

- Shamiel Stevenson

- Teddy Allen

SOPHOMORES

- Akol Arop

- Dalano Banton 

- Kevin Cross

- Yvan Ouedraogo

No current freshman and one open scholarship.

Grab the Cali big (would be a frosh) and count me as one happy camper. 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:21 PM, 75unlgrad said:

What an amazing roster turnover in just two years.  Depth of talent is considerable and appears to be at the BIG level.  Next year will be interesting as Fred finds the right pieces.  I hope this is the NCAA team we have been waiting for.

When Fred was hired, I predicted (to my wife) that year 3 is the year we win a game or two at the NCAA tournament.  I think I was wrong and should have said year 2 is the year we do it.

I'm in wait-and-see mode right now.

I see some good pieces on the roster as well as some potentially good pieces (Banton, for instance).

But where's that JPJ guy who, when it gets down to crunch time and you absolutely have to have a bucket, can get you one?

I think we need to be a considerably better 3-point shooting team and I'm not sure what known pieces for next year's roster are going to change that situation significantly.

Right now, we are at best a mediocre shooting team. We will be bottom dwellers in the conference as long as we remain a mediocre shooting team.

@75unlgrad it's absolutely more fun being optimistic. And I'm usually that guy. But this one's tough for me because we return a lot of guys on a team that, right now, is for lack of a better way of saying it, horrible.

Here's what we know of next year's roster. Tell me who, among these players, will be all-conference. When you say "Depth of talent is considerable and appears to be at the BIG level" I assume you mean more than just capable of being on the roster of the 14th place Big Ten team, right?

PGs (pick 1)

Mack

SGs/SFs (pick 5)

Burke

Green

Banton

Thor

Allen

Stevenson

Arop

Bigs (pick 2)

Ouedraogo

Walker

Cross

Mayen

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm in wait-and-see mode right now.

I see some good pieces on the roster as well as some potentially good pieces (Banton, for instance).

But where's that JPJ guy who, when it gets down to crunch time and you absolutely have to have a bucket, can get you one?

I think we need to be a considerably better 3-point shooting team and I'm not sure what known pieces for next year's roster are going to change that situation significantly.

Right now, we are at best a mediocre shooting team. We will be bottom dwellers in the conference as long as we remain a mediocre shooting team.

I think Teddy Allen is that dude you speak of.  

Not ready to deem next year's squad a tourney team but I expect them to be much much better. And definitely would feel comfortable saying they are an NIT team; as is.

We will have depth. But there are too many question marks as to what the quality is. We have reason to believe that the returning players will improve and that the incoming ones will be positive upgrades. But as we learned this year the team wont "hit" on all the contributions us fans predict and/or some take longer to fruition.

Norm, I'll answer your question this way in order explain my optimism.

The first game of the season we were horrible.  My wife thought I would be depressed.  I wasn't.  This is the year we have to 'take a small step backwards in order to leap forward.'  I told my wife that I'm on a '3-year plan.'  I expected this team to be horrible but I wanted to see if the freshmen and sophomore would eventually be BIG caliber.  I am very pleased with Mack (I think he could be ALL-CONFERENCE by his senior year) and I think Yvan Ouedraogo and Kevin Cross will be solid depth by the time they are juniors and seniors.

I expect Mack to be our starting point guard for the next three years.  I do not expect Ouedraogo or Cross to ever be starters for us in future years -- but I see them as excellent depth off the bench (something we have been lacking).  Next year, I expect Lat Mayen will start at the stretch 4 position and Derrick Walker will play the 5 position.  I hope Lat Mayen can garner ALL-CONFERENCE recognition.  I also expect that we will over-recruit some of these players in year three.

For perimeter players, we have seen Dachon Durke, Jervay Green, and Thor.  Again, I see them as depth.  With Teddy Allen, Shamiel Stevenson, and Delano Banton joining the fray (and Mack), I see a lot of depth and an improved perimeter shooting team.  And again, I expect that Hoiberg will over-recruit these guys in time (Juco Japanese shooting guard for 2021).  

As you can tell, I see things through red glasses.  For me, this is the most hopeful new basketball era we have ever had with a new coach.  I expect that he will go through a lot of players before he finds the 9 or 10 that he wants.  I believe that it will be sooner rather than later.  

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

@75unlgrad it's absolutely more fun being optimistic. And I'm usually that guy. But this one's tough for me because we return a lot of guys on a team that, right now, is for lack of a better way of saying it, horrible.

Here's what we know of next year's roster. Tell me who, among these players, will be all-conference. When you say "Depth of talent is considerable and appears to be at the BIG level" I assume you mean more than just capable of being on the roster of the 14th place Big Ten team, right?

PGs (pick 1)

Mack

SGs/SFs (pick 5)

Burke

Green

Banton

Thor

Allen

Stevenson

Arop

Bigs (pick 2)

Ouedraogo

Walker

Cross

Mayen

@Norm Peterson I'm reminded of the old adage here...you know the one about how the best thing about Freshmen is they become Sophomores?

And really, I consider that adage to apply pretty equally to JUCO guys as well.  So looking at our roster we have 5 guys (4 who either start or play significant minutes now) who fit that description.

Then when you consider that we have 3 sit out guys who will probably be starters from day one, plus two JUCOs who will come in next year and be able to provide even more depth to what will be already a deep roster...I can see some cause for optimism for next year, sure.  Probably not an NCAA tournament lock type team yet, but I can see it being a team that should be able to get over the .500 mark pretty easily.

The challenge here will really be how much roster turnover we are going to be looking at.  I wouldn't be surprised if the answer to that question is "significant".  Now how significant it's hard to say.

9 hours ago, royalfan said:

I also expect a fait amount of turnover.  The difference between this staff and prior staffs is that we will have a reason for the turnover in many of the cases.  

Its definitely going to be interesting to see how attrition shakes out this offseason. You could make a reasonable case for every returning player currently eligible.

15 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I hope your right but I don’t see Mayen as a star but more of a nice role player. I think Mack, Banton, and Allen have potential to be all conference type guys. Hopefully they fulfill their potential because all 3 have things to work on.

Then we have a few more solid B10 caliber guys. 

Rn I see him as someone who could make the 8 man rotation or could find themselves riding the bench. Maybe a starter but probably not; definitely not a star.

On 12/31/2019 at 8:21 PM, 75unlgrad said:

Not sure what to expect in terms of record next year but if the roster stays intact as is we are going to have as much talent across the board since what...mid 90’s?

We will have to hope the transfers and recruits gel.  Add on the development of our young guys like Cross and Ouedrago down low and we are going to be a fun team to watch. 

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

Not sure what to expect in terms of record next year but if the roster stays intact as is we are going to have as much talent across the board since what...mid 90’s?

We will have to hope the transfers and recruits gel.  Add on the development of our young guys like Cross and Ouedrago down low and we are going to be a fun team to watch. 

Are you serious?

I think our most talented roster in a very long time was Watson, Copeland, Palmer, Roby, Allen.

I haven't seen enough of the sit-out transfers to really assess them, but their stats coming in are not very promising. And the current group of potential returning players would have to take a step up to get to bad.

I might need to sit some of these discussions out for a while until we see something definitive, one way or the other. Which basically won't happen until next November.

I'm usually the uber-optimistic guy and I'm not seeing right now what others must be seeing. Even under Barry Collier, we never sucked as badly as we suck right now and our $380,000/year recruiting assistant ain't getting our foot in the door with top 50 talent, except the one on our doorstep.

So, I'm just gonna take a step back and leave it at that for a while.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:52 AM, Blackshirt83 said:

Honestly I'd try really hard to redshirt Yvan next season if at all possible by bringing in a grad transfer or juco big. Then spend the other scholarship on a guard with at least 2 years to play. *either a freshman or transfer who can redshirt.

Sorry, But no way Fred redshirts Yvan next year...