Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

22 hours ago, LK1 said:

Right now there’s no way Burke isn’t a starter next year.  He’s been killing it in conference play.

I'm in no way saying that this will happen but Burke is the one guy on the roster who, assuming his grades are in order, would have the ability to grad transfer next year.

19 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we certainly have some quality players in certain spots.

If Mack continues to progress, there's no doubt he's an impact player.  In two conference games so far, he's averaging 13 pts and 11 assists while shooting 50% from 3-point range. He probably won't keep up that pace, but it's a sign that he's able to put up big numbers against good teams.

After Mack, do we have much star power?

I think that's yet to be seen.  #FingersCrossed

I see what you did there.  😉

The way I try to think about this is what options do any of these guys have. 

Basically, these guys would have to masochists to transfer at this point:
Mack*
Banton

Walker

Stevenson
                      *I mean, why at this point? He's already on track for super-star status here. It would have to be a disciplinary reason he's gone at this point. He's trending towards NBA after his junior year. Not going to happen at the end of this year, but if we're good next year - it could. 

These guys could grad transfer if their credits/grades are in order:
Burke

Thorir

But I would highly doubt either would. Thorir would basically have to be forced out at this point, as in coaches decision. And Burke has become the backbone of what we've done here to start off conference play. As a senior, he'd be a captain and leader - really can't see him transfer.

So that is 6 guys I still definitely see on the team next year.

These guys could transfer in a normal manner:

Walk-ons

Cross

Arop

Green

9 hours ago, basketballjones said:

The way I try to think about this is what options do any of these guys have. 

Basically, these guys would have to masochists to transfer at this point:
Mack*
Banton

Walker

Stevenson
                      *I mean, why at this point? He's already on track for super-star status here. It would have to be a disciplinary reason he's gone at this point. He's trending towards NBA after his junior year. Not going to happen at the end of this year, but if we're good next year - it could. 

These guys could grad transfer if their credits/grades are in order:
Burke

Thorir

But I would highly doubt either would. Thorir would basically have to be forced out at this point, as in coaches decision. And Burke has become the backbone of what we've done here to start off conference play. As a senior, he'd be a captain and leader - really can't see him transfer.

So that is 6 guys I still definitely see on the team next year.

These guys could transfer in a normal manner:

Walk-ons

Cross

Arop

Green

OK, so two of us, now, identifying Cam Mack as a potential NBA player. He has plenty of explosiveness and speed. He has to work on that shot, though. NBA guards can shoot the rock. I would love to see him get there, but that probably means leaving after next year.

But he's got to get that shot down.

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

OK, so two of us, now, identifying Cam Mack as a potential NBA player. He has plenty of explosiveness and speed. He has to work on that shot, though. NBA guards can shoot the rock. I would love to see him get there, but that probably means leaving after next year.

But he's got to get that shot down.

I pointed out that people on this board are identifying this kid as an NBA prospect for the reason that his mom came on here and, understandably, raised concerns about him getting bashed on social media, and I wanted to make clear there's also a lot of support for him on this and other websites.

And if, from time to time, we seem critical, it's only because, for many of us, we know how good he could be.

Keep working, Cam. You've got some of the best coaches on earth right here to help you realize your hoop dreams.

Don’t sleep on Green. IMO he has had to make a big adjustment not only just coming from JUCO but not having the ball in his hands all time hunting buckets. You can tell he’s still learning and understanding where to get his shots. 

Hard to pigeon hole people in Fred’s system

PG - Mack (Green / Banton when he’s resting)

Wings - Burke, Banton, Allen, Green, Stevenson, Thor, Arop

Post - Drago and Walker splitting minutes 

what I would love to see when the opponent allows it would be

Mack, Burke or Green, Allen, Stevenson, and Banton would be fun position-less ball lineup 

15 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Don’t sleep on Green. IMO he has had to make a big adjustment not only just coming from JUCO but not having the ball in his hands all time hunting buckets. You can tell he’s still learning and understanding where to get his shots. 

Hard to pigeon hole people in Fred’s system

PG - Mack (Green / Banton when he’s resting)

Wings - Burke, Banton, Allen, Green, Stevenson, Thor, Arop

Post - Drago and Walker splitting minutes 

what I would love to see when the opponent allows it would be

Mack, Burke or Green, Allen, Stevenson, and Banton would be fun position-less ball lineup 

Mostly agree. You forgot Kevin. He's gonna do it to 'em.

I'm still waiting on attrition to happen (one or two guys will bounce from this team. Whether or not it be their decision)

But. If I play devil's advocate

PG: Mack

Wing: Burke

Wing: Green

4: toss up between Stevenson, Cross, teddy, and Delano 

5: Yvan. Walker could take it though easily. 

Primary bench guys 

Thor

Delano

Teddy

Cross

Whichever big doesn't start

You could even move Green to the bench and be fine. There's a lot of talent on the team next year and Fred only likes to run a 8-SOMETIMES 9 man rotation. I love the potential for next year's team, but I want to see who walks. I fully anticipate someone leaving. 

20 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The team had a full scrimmage today. Hoiberg said Dalano was 7 for 7 and Walker was 8 for 10 from the field. He said all three redshirts “were phenomenal today”.

Delano will be good. But Walker will be good also and gives us another option at the center position. Which is very important

40 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The team had a full scrimmage today. Hoiberg said Dalano was 7 for 7 and Walker was 8 for 10 from the field. He said all three redshirts “were phenomenal today”.

I like the prospect of all 3 redshirts.  Stevenson probably has the highest floor, but Blanton has the highest ceiling.  I'm happy to have Walker even if he is basically an older version Yvan.  I feel like all three would be in the rotation this year if eligible.  

Edited by aphilso1

4 hours ago, khoock said:

FWIW he said its very important to him and his parents that he get a degree so hes ready for life after basketball. 

He is the black sheep of his family, dad is like a diplomat, brother and sister both have I think their Doctorates in some high level field. and mom has something too I think.

So Thorir being a D1 athlete and only getting his undergrad in I think economics is the loser of the family.😉

Edited by Silverbacked1

17 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Great.  Now I gotta flip my lineup

Green,  Mack

Banton, Burke,

Arop,Allen,Thor

Stevenson,Cross

Walker,Yvan

On 12/20/2019 at 9:53 AM, Norm Peterson said:

I pointed out that people on this board are identifying this kid as an NBA prospect for the reason that his mom came on here and, understandably, raised concerns about him getting bashed on social media, and I wanted to make clear there's also a lot of support for him on this and other websites.

And if, from time to time, we seem critical, it's only because, for many of us, we know how good he could be.

Keep working, Cam. You've got some of the best coaches on earth right here to help you realize your hoop dreams.

Miles was on the radio up in Mpls last week & brought up a lot of good points concerning the NBA. Roby signed the most lucrative contract for a 2nd rounder EVER & has yet to appear in a game. Unless yer Shaquille O’Neal or LeBron James yer playing to be an NBA back-up. (paraphrasing a Miles quote) While that might be stating the obvious, too often it’s overlooked or undersold. I certainly think Mack has Pro potential & one of Fred’s big drawing cards recruiting wise will be to hopefully get players in here capable of taking that next step. When that becomes the norm here (pun intended) & not the exception, then we really will have established ourselves as a perennially B1G threat. But, a little dose of reality is important, while yer reaching for the stars ✨...

After more thought I'm thinking:

STARTERS

- Cam Mack 6'2 JR

- Dachon Burke 6'4 SR

- Teddy Allen 6'5 JR

- Dalano Banton 6'8 SO

- Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 SO

ROTATION 

- Jervay Green 6'3 SR

- Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 JR

- Derrick Walker 6'8 JR

This is really hard to do bc it leaves out Thor and Kevin Cross who both are good players and will have a decent shot to prove my predictions wrong. 

Im gonna go a step further and predict Akol Arop to take an unconventional sophomore redshirt. I think they really would have liked to RS him this year but due to Shamiel Stevenson's eligibility up in the air and an already thin front court, it wasnt really plausible. 

The staff grabs a RS transfer to go along with Akol and then sits on the other scholarship for 2021.

27 minutes ago, khoock said:

After more thought I'm thinking:

STARTERS

- Cam Mack 6'2 JR

- Dachon Burke 6'4 SR

- Teddy Allen 6'5 JR

- Dalano Banton 6'8 SO

- Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 SO

ROTATION 

- Jervay Green 6'3 SR

- Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 JR

- Derrick Walker 6'8 JR

This is really hard to do bc it leaves out Thor and Kevin Cross who both are good players and will have a decent shot to prove my predictions wrong. 

Im gonna go a step further and predict Akol Arop to take an unconventional sophomore redshirt. I think they really would have liked to RS him this year but due to Shamiel Stevenson's eligibility up in the air and an already thin front court, it wasnt really plausible. 

The staff grabs a RS transfer to go along with Akol and then sits on the other scholarship for 2021.

The thing I don't like about your projected starting lineup (and I'm not saying your prediction is wrong -- it's more a comment on the condition of the roster) is that Teddy Allen is the only guy in that starting rotation who you'd currently have any reason to expect would be a solid shooter from long range.

Maybe Banton is using his redshirt year to really become a perimeter threat and maybe Burke and Mack will improve their consistency. But that's not a lineup that forces opposing Ds to respect our perimeter shooting capability.