Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

Trigger warning: For those who don't like "next year" threads, that's what this one is, so you can check out now and go on to something else if you don't like talking about stuff down the road.

OK, so Fred got his first 2020 commit, and the kid is a player. Has an interesting life story (some might say tragic) and he's taken an unusual path to get here, but there's no doubting he's a dude who can put the ball in the hoop.

His first team, WVU, is ranked. His second team, WSU, is 4th in others receiving votes. And my understanding is he was projected to start for WSU this year. So, good enough to start for a team that's on the cusp of being ranked. That says quite a bit right there.

His stats from WVU are misleading. He didn't shoot the 3 much while there, and when he did, it didn't go in for him very often (12% 3-ptFG%), but he must have really worked on his shot in his redshirt year at WSU, because he's lighting it up from beyond the arc now (42.5% 3-ptFG%).

So, given that he was a projected starter on a virtually top-25 team at WSU, and given what he's doing in juco, it's probably reasonable to pencil him in as a starter for us next year.

Cam Mack, from the looks of things, will be the starter at point at Nebraska as long as he wants to be. So, you can probably sharpie him into the starting lineup (barring catastrophic injury or transfer.)

That leaves 3 starting spots to be claimed.  We have only 2 seniors on this team, one of whom starts. So, only 1 current starting spot will be vacated by graduation.

We also have 3 guys sitting out as transfers, and at least 1 more scholarship to fill (depending on whether Donovan signs his LOI in the spring.)

Based on everything I'm hearing, I'm going to guess Banton jumps into the starting lineup right off the bat next year. So, that leaves 2 starting spots left to claim.

You starting to see the direction this is heading?

The players on the team know who's performing in practices.

Edited by Norm Peterson

So, if my tea-leaf-reading skills are on point (usually they aren't, so take that for what it's worth) ...

20-21 starting lineup:

PG Cam Mack (sharpie)

Wing Delano Banton (pen -- blue ink)

Wing Teddy Allen (pencil)

Wing

Big

Options for last two starting spots (as things stand now):

Remaining Wing spot:

Dachon Burke

Jervay Green

Thor Thorbjarnarson

Shamiel Stevenson

Big:

Kevin Cross

Yvan Ouedraogo

Derrick Walker

Outside chance:

Donovan Williams

Charlie Easley

Akol Arop

Scholarship recruit to be named later

That's a lot of competition.

Question: Is that a sufficient talent upgrade to make us competitive in the Big Ten race?

Edited by Norm Peterson

Right now there’s no way Burke isn’t a starter next year.  He’s been killing it in conference play.

Cam - Green (utility guard)

Burke - Thor (utility anything)

Allen - Stephenson (utility forward)

Banton - Cross

Yvan - Walker

Spot/development minutes — Easley. Williams, Arop

I think the 8 man rotation will change nightly based on matchups and hot hands.  

Edited by LK1

35 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I'll be surprised if this isn't the starting lineup next year with a 5 person bench rotation.  Overall, it's a good looking team for next year.

Starting LIne-up

Cam

Burke

Stephenson

Banton

Walker

In the bench rotation

Cross

Green

Yvan

Thor

Allen

I haven't seen enough of Walker to know. If Yvan improves like you'd expect, and Walker still beats him out, that'd be very good news for us.

I will say, from what I've seen so far, you probably need to swap Allen and Stevenson. I think Stevenson's a good player, but Allen is a beast.

They actually played against each other freshman year, but Teddy only played 4 minutes and didn't score, while Shamiel logged 38 minutes and scored 12 in a loss for Pitt. But, across the season, he averaged 8.5 and 4.4 for a Pitt team that wasn't very good, whereas Teddy put up 7.0 and 2.7 for a really good WVa team.

They're very similar in terms of height, weight and skill set. I'm guessing Shamiel is less than the weight he's been listed at and Teddy is heavier. I'm guessing, again, probably similar height and weight.  It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top. My guess is one starts and the other backs him up.

4 hours ago, LK1 said:

Right now there’s no way Burke isn’t a starter next year.  He’s been killing it in conference play.

Cam - Green (utility guard)

Burke - Thor (utility anything)

Allen - Stephenson (utility forward)

Banton - Cross

Yvan - Walker

Spot/development minutes — Easley. Williams, Arop

I think the 8 man rotation will change nightly based on matchups and hot hands.  

I’d say that’s spot on, but swap Walker for Oeudrago. I’d also feel confident saying that’s a roster certainly capable of a top 6 B1G finish & post season play...

19 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I’d say that’s spot on, but swap Walker for Oeudrago. I’d also feel confident saying that’s a roster certainly capable of a top 6 B1G finish & post season play...

I think we certainly have some quality players in certain spots.

If Mack continues to progress, there's no doubt he's an impact player.  In two conference games so far, he's averaging 13 pts and 11 assists while shooting 50% from 3-point range. He probably won't keep up that pace, but it's a sign that he's able to put up big numbers against good teams.

After Mack, do we have much star power?

I think that's yet to be seen.  #FingersCrossed

Looking at next year's team:

Point Guard -- Green (sr)            Shooting Guard -- Burke (sr)                Small Forward -- Thor (sr)            Power Forward -- Walker (jr)         Center -- Ivan (soph)

Mack (jr)                                             Allen (jr)                                                 Banton (jr)                                        Samulson (jr)                   Transfer (sr) I hope

Williams (fr)                                           Arop (soph)                                      Cross (soph)

I know it is 'positionless' basketball now but even looking at the 'traditional' positions -- I like the talent level, depth, versatility, and scholarship distribution.  IF we can recruit a senior transfer that is a legit 'big' then this roster could be the one to get that first NCAA Tournament win.  GBR!!!     

(I can't believe Hoiberg has put together a quality team by year two -- Wow!! -- We could be DANCING into round two next year!!!

What I'd really like to see is development from Akol Arop. I want to see him getting in games; I want to see him learning and getting mistakes out of the way; and I want to see him improve as the season goes along.

He has fantastic length and athleticism. And I've watched him stroking the ball in warmups.  The kid has a pretty good shooting stroke.  What's he lacking? Ballhandling? What's the reason he isn't seeing the floor?

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think we certainly have some quality players in certain spots.

If Mack continues to progress, there's no doubt he's an impact player.  In two conference games so far, he's averaging 13 pts and 11 assists while shooting 50% from 3-point range. He probably won't keep up that pace, but it's a sign that he's able to put up big numbers against good teams.

After Mack, do we have much star power?

I think that's yet to be seen.  #FingersCrossed

As far as “Star Power” it really is a fingers crossed proposition. Petteway/Palmer were largely unheralded when they transferred in, hopefully Allen/Banton or someone else could blossom to that degree. I don’t think Arop had to handle the ball out on the open floor too much @ Prep. I’m guessing that might be his short coming, but I’d like to see him get more minutes as well...

I think Cross and Yvan are fantastic talents with upside.  Both are true frosh.  One is getting into shape and the other won’t be 18 until like March.

Yvan is a 6-9 kid that is averaging 5.5 PPG & 5.5 RPG (20.0 mpg) as a true frosh against taller & older players.  That’s actually pretty good for this early in the season.

Cross is a surprisingly skilled 6-8 kid is averaging 7.1 PPG & 4.1 RPG (19.5 mpg) as a true frosh in the same circumstances.

These two freshman bigs contribute a total of 12.6 PPG & 9.6 RPG in a combined 39.5 minutes.  If that was all from just one them, we’d be losing our minds.

i wouldn’t change anything with their rotation next year.  I’d make Banton our 4, and roll out Mack, Burke and probably Shamiel or Green depending on matchups.

Mack is an elite PG.  He makes people better around him.

I have a gut feeling there will be some roster attrition with guys who are now in the rotation. Donovan Williams' comments about his de-commitment strengthen my suspicions. Says the staff is looking at transfers/JUCOS who can play right away. It's a tough deal, but if there is somebody out there that Fred/Matt A. believes will be better than somebody on the current roster, it will definitely not surprise me to see somebody get nudged to the curb (even if they've done some productive things this year). These guys aren't playing around. 

As for Norm's question about star power, it's quite possible that some of our star power for next year isn't even on the roster right now, i.e. Allen or a grad transfer. I do think Mack has star power, especially with another year of experience. Perhaps Banton or Stevenson develop to that point eventually. I will say I really do like Cross' skill set, and while raw, Ouedrago has some significant upside. 

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, if my tea-leaf-reading skills are on point (usually they aren't, so take that for what it's worth) ...

20-21 starting lineup:

PG Cam Mack (sharpie)

Wing Delano Banton (pencil)

Wing Teddy Allen (pencil)

Wing

Big

Options for last two starting spots (as things stand now):

Remaining Wing spot:

Dachon Burke

Jervay Green

Thor Thorbjarnarson

Shamiel Stevenson

Big:

Kevin Cross

Yvan Ouedraogo

Derrick Walker

Outside chance:

Donovan Williams

Charlie Easley

Akol Arop

Scholarship recruit to be named later

That's a lot of competition.

Question: Is that a sufficient talent upgrade to make us competitive in the Big Ten race?

Is it just a coincidence that Donovan Williams decommitted literally within hours after I posted this?

Edited by Norm Peterson

I personally love looking ahead. I have been pondering it all day and this is what I got.

STARTERS

Cam Mack 6'2 JR

Dachon Burke 6'4 SR

Teddy Allen 6'5 JR

Dalano Banton 6'8 SO

Yvan Ouedraogo 6'9 SO

ROTATION 

Jervay Green 6'3 SR

Shamiel Stevenson 6'6 JR

Thorir Thorbjarnarson 6'6 SR

BENCH

Kevin Cross 6'8 SO

Derrick Walker 6'8 JR

Akol Arop 6'6 SO

Charlie Easley 6'2 SO

Man thats really tough to do!!

2 hours ago, OurDecay said:

I think Cross and Yvan are fantastic talents with upside.  Both are true frosh.  One is getting into shape and the other won’t be 18 until like March.

Yvan is a 6-9 kid that is averaging 5.5 PPG & 5.5 RPG (20.0 mpg) as a true frosh against taller & older players.  That’s actually pretty good for this early in the season.

Cross is a surprisingly skilled 6-8 kid is averaging 7.1 PPG & 4.1 RPG (19.5 mpg) as a true frosh in the same circumstances.

These two freshman bigs contribute a total of 12.6 PPG & 9.6 RPG in a combined 39.5 minutes.  If that was all from just one them, we’d be losing our minds.

i wouldn’t change anything with their rotation next year.  I’d make Banton our 4, and roll out Mack, Burke and probably Shamiel or Green depending on matchups.

Mack is an elite PG.  He makes people better around him.

Agree for the most part but Cross is only about 6’6” and Fred has said he Is playing out of position and is not a 5. Think Drago and Walker split the time at 5 and Cross is a big wing

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

What I'd really like to see is development from Akol Arop. I want to see him getting in games; I want to see him learning and getting mistakes out of the way; and I want to see him improve as the season goes along.

He has fantastic length and athleticism. And I've watched him stroking the ball in warmups.  The kid has a pretty good shooting stroke.  What's he lacking? Ballhandling? What's the reason he isn't seeing the floor?

My thoughts exactly.  In a season with very little chance at post-season play, I'd like to get an athletic in-state kid some minutes so that he can take his lumps now.  Akol appears to have a very high ceiling (although admittedly also a low floor).

I really think our starters will be Mack/Burke/Banton/Allen/Yvan.  Walker platoons with Yvan, while Shamiel and Thor give the other four starters breathers.  I think it will be an uphill battle for anyone else to get serious minutes.

I hope I'm wrong, but I could see Jervay and HCFH mutually parting ways.