Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

21 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Cross took all those 3s because they gave him the green light. The guy is a post player who can handle the ball, shoot from outside, has good court vision, and has an aggressive scoring mentality.  Feels like if he did transfer it's because he wasn't happy, not Nebraska

Not sure I'd agree that Cross can shoot from outside nor that he has good court vision.  I'll agree that he has an aggressive scoring mentality though, since most rational humans would stop shooting after missing that much. 🥴

15 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Not sure I'd agree that Cross can shoot from outside nor that he has good court vision.  I'll agree that he has an aggressive scoring mentality though, since most rational humans would stop shooting after missing that much. 🥴

Visually, you could see him making difficult passes to get teammates an easy bucket.

Statistically he was third on the team behind Mack and Green, PGs, in assist %.

Him at the 4 when he's not trying to bait a slow center out of the paint might naturally rein in his shot. We also might coach him down a bit with better options.  Feels like he's playing major minutes between the 4 and 5 next year assuming he's here (after last year I'm not going to assume anyone except Thor will be here this year 😎)

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Think we have, as close as you can in CBB, a final answer when it comes to roster attrition by the end of the week?

Cant remember how long this normally takes to shake out.

I would assume that Hoiberg will have spoken to every player by the end of this week, if he hasn't done so already. So, I would also assume that the players who were going transfer or are now transferring after speaking with Hoiberg will have entered the portal by the end of this week.

That doesn't mean no further roster attrition will occur after this week. Perhaps someone is injured and is waiting until after surgery to transfer so they can still receive top-notch medical treatment (a la Jordy Tshimanga). Perhaps the filling of the last scholarship spot prompts a change of heart in someone else (a la Donovan Williams). Or maybe somebody thinks they can find a better situation elsewhere and wants to be a real jerk about it (a la Andrew White, III).

So, while nothing is ever certain, I would suspect we'll know who isn't returning next year by week's end.

54 minutes ago, khoock said:

We have had a couple extreme cases of late roster attrition. I dont follow enough of CBB in its totality to know if that is a common occurence or not.

I'd have a hard time believing Fred plays that game given his complete willingness to recruit over current roster numbers, and I don't blame him.  

In other words, I don't think we'll have any teams hinging its next season's status on whether or not a player returns.  

They had a nice piece on 10/11 last night about next season & the HUGE (& welcome, I might add) roster turnover.  Just seeing Banton, Stevenson, Walker etc in a shoot-around made me smile. At least we’ll look like a B1G team coming off the bus, as they say...

Edited by Handy Johnson

Are HCFH and Co. doing interviews rn? Anyone know of his next media appearance?

Would love to hear his take on the current roster situation. With the grad transfer Marfo or the possible reclassification of Sanogo, it is clear we are looking for an immediate upgrade in size/rebounding. We already filled our PG need with Kobe Webster. Other than that it seems the staff is comfortable holding serve with the rest of the roster as most of the contact/offers being put out are to sit out guys. 

*This is me also acknowledging that it is super early in the transfer/attrition game so things can (and probably will) change.

2 hours ago, khoock said:

Are HCFH and Co. doing interviews rn? Anyone know of his next media appearance?

Would love to hear his take on the current roster situation. With the grad transfer Marfo or the possible reclassification of Sanogo, it is clear we are looking for an immediate upgrade in size/rebounding. We already filled our PG need with Kobe Webster. Other than that it seems the staff is comfortable holding serve with the rest of the roster as most of the contact/offers being put out are to sit out guys. 

*This is me also acknowledging that it is super early in the transfer/attrition game so things can (and probably will) change.

Sounds like we are out of it with Marfo unfortunately...  Robin Washut is pretty optimistic that we will get Sanogo though..

The below table is a collection of the players we are returning and the ones we are bringing in. Included is name, height, position, eligibility status, shooting splits, and per game averages. I just thought having it all together in one place, in this thread, would be helpful when discussing and debating next year.

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 8:32 PM, GoBigFred said:

Bumping this. I took a lot of grief for saying Cross would probably leave...

I assumed he would be gone once we got a better idea of who we were bringing in and what their talents were. Not saying he couldn't have earned playing time for the 2020-21 (bc we all saw his flashes and future potential) but he definitely wasn't going to be gifted 20 MPG like he was this year. And imo, he wouldnt have played over Shamiel and Lat. 

Best of luck to him. Im interested to see where he lands!

Adama Sanago's decision and Kobe King's eligibility seem to be the only two things we are waiting on. With the roster as is here is my guess:

PG: K. Webster --> D. Banton

W: D. Banton --> T. Thorbjarnarson

W: T. Allen --> T. Thorbjarnarson

W: S. Stevenson --> L. Mayen --> A. Arop

F: Y. Ouedraogo --> D. Walker

My ideal scenario is we land Sanago and King is eligible. In this case, I really hope we could redshirt Arop. I think it is the smart move for both Arop and the coaching staff. For Arop, he gets a full year to develop his game while still staying close to home. He also creates another year of separation between Shamiel, Lat, Walker, and Ouedraogo (this increases his chance of playing time as an upperclassmen). If worst comes to worst he can transfer the following year, likely without having to sit out a year, giving him three years to play at wherever he lands immediately. That also gives HCFH and Co. a year to another year to evaluate Arop and see if he is approaching the potential they see in him. Everybody wins!!!!

5 hours ago, khoock said:

I assumed he would be gone once we got a better idea of who we were bringing in and what their talents were. Not saying he couldn't have earned playing time for the 2020-21 (bc we all saw his flashes and future potential) but he definitely wasn't going to be gifted 20 MPG like he was this year. And imo, he wouldnt have played over Shamiel and Lat. 

Best of luck to him. Im interested to see where he lands!

Tulane!

5 hours ago, khoock said:

Adama Sanago's decision and Kobe King's eligibility seem to be the only two things we are waiting on. With the roster as is here is my guess:

PG: K. Webster --> D. Banton

W: D. Banton --> T. Thorbjarnarson

W: T. Allen --> T. Thorbjarnarson

W: S. Stevenson --> L. Mayen --> A. Arop

F: Y. Ouedraogo --> D. Walker

My ideal scenario is we land Sanago and King is eligible. In this case, I really hope we could redshirt Arop. I think it is the smart move for both Arop and the coaching staff. For Arop, he gets a full year to develop his game while still staying close to home. He also creates another year of separation between Shamiel, Lat, Walker, and Ouedraogo (this increases his chance of playing time as an upperclassmen). If worst comes to worst he can transfer the following year, likely without having to sit out a year, giving him three years to play at wherever he lands immediately. That also gives HCFH and Co. a year to another year to evaluate Arop and see if he is approaching the potential they see in him. Everybody wins!!!!

Theythink they have a good case for McGowins also, so we are waiting on that. I do like your point that if they allow a one time transfer it could lead to some kids to redshirt so they don’t have to save it to avoid losing a year.

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Theythink they have a good case for McGowins also, so we are waiting on that. I do like your point that if they allow a one time transfer it could lead to some kids to redshirt so they don’t have to save it to avoid losing a year.

I think after about two or three years of the new rule, rosters will be more stable than they currently are.