Fast forward a year

Norm Peterson

13 minutes ago, khoock said:

Also just to add some context to the tweet:

- All players have D1 experience 

- Five of them have P5 experience 

- Three of them have one full season in HCFHs system and strength/conditioning programs

- One of them has B1G

This is not counting whatever pieces we have returning. Compare the stats from these 7 players to this years 16 player roster and its not hard to get a little excited!

THERE IS HOPE!

58 minutes ago, khoock said:

Also just to add some context to the tweet:

- All players have D1 experience 

- Five of them have P5 experience 

- Three of them have one full season in HCFHs system and strength/conditioning programs

- One of them has B1G experience 

This is not counting whatever pieces we have returning. Compare the experience of these 7 players to this years 13 player roster and its not hard to get a little excited!

Comparison to this years team:

*trimmed it down to eligible players only*

- Nine players with zero D1 experience

- Four players with D1 experience

- Two players with P5(6) experience; yes im counting Cheatham in the Big East

- One player with B1G experience 

- Zero players with experience in HCFHs system and strength/conditioning 

Edited by khoock

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Comparison to this years team:

*trimmed it down to eligible players only*

- Nine players with zero D1 experience

- Four players with D1 experience

- Two players with P5(6) experience; yes im counting Cheatham in the Big East

- Zero players with experience in HCFHs system and strength/conditioning 

- Zero players with B1G experience 

Thor had B1G experience. 

Next year's team should be better than this years team, but considering this year's team was one of the worst in the history of the already bleak legacy of Husker Hoops, that is not saying anything at all.

I want to be optimistic about next year, but having a lot of trouble getting there.  Is there a single 1st, 2nd or even 3rd team All-B1G player on this roster?  How can NU be a top team in the B1G if it doesn't have any of the top players in the B1G? 

Where is the shooting?  We have takers, but where are  the makers?

IF Kobe King can get eligible, at least we know he is a player who would start on another B1G team and is a capable player.  But this team needs shooters.  No--it need makers!  Kobe has shot worse from 3 each year, ranging from 33% his freshman year, to 30% his soph year, to a miserable 25% this year.  And he will play shooting guard!  A shooting guard that can't shoot is usually a problem.  Especially when he is surrounded by other players who cant' shoot.  

Today's game is all about space and pace.  Most good teams have at least 4 shooters on the floor and many have 5 good shooters (using a big man who can stretch the floor).  The advantage of having shooters is that it forces the defenders to guard all the way out to the 3 point line, which opens up lanes for drivers to drive.  If you don't have shooters on the floor, the defenders will sag off the non-shooters and play in the lane.  This makes if much harder for the other players to penetrate and finish.  We saw this year how many shots we missed at the rim.  Some of that was poor finishing, no doubt.  But a lot of it was because the defense could sag off non-shooters, or post players like Yvan, and just wait in the paint for our driving guards.  It is very difficult for a small guard to finish over multiple long and athletic defenders patrolling the paint.  

Banton is getting a lot of hype and he hopefully will be a very good player for NU.  But he can't shoot a lick.  His form is atrocious, his 3-point percentage is terrible and his free thrown percentage is terrible.  The B1G has great coaches, and they will sag off him all game every game.  Now, most likely Banton will still find ways to get to the hoop and finish and he will get his own.  But with guys who can't shoot, you can't just judge them on how well they do individually.  For instance, if he shoot 50% from the floor, you can't just say "well, he is overcoming his shooting deficiency by finishing at the rim so he is fine."  This type of thinking doesn't factor in how much he has contributed to the reduced shooting percentage of his teammates.  If Kobe King has more trouble finishing at the rim because he not only has to beat his defender, but also had to go over/through Banton's and Yvan's defenders, then that is not all on Kobe, that is on Banton and Yvan as well. 

Teddy Allen could be a nice player, but it is so hard to know for sure. His juco numbers are great, but so were Green's.  I am now convinced juco players play no defense at all because the numbers so many average to below average players put up is astounding.  At least we know Teddy has some success in Div 1, but he also had problems and who knows where that goes.  Fred rolled the dice on Cam and see how that turned out.  How will Teddy turn out?  And I haven't seen much of Teddy, but from what little film I have watched, he doesn't seem like much of an athlete to me. Am I missing something?  Did I just see the wrong highlights?  Maybe, but from what I've seen he appears to be a mediocre athlete that plays below the rim.  His basketball skills are good, but how will that translate against B1G athleticism?  

I did another post on Yvan so I won't cover that here.  In short, I don't think a player of his type can ever take NU or any team to the upper tier of the B1G.  Similarly, I don't understand the excitement for Walker at all.  Walker is WAY undersized at just 6'8 and can't shoot a lick.  He shot 40% FT his freshman year and 26% last year.  He could not get more than a couple minutes playing time as as a sophomore.  Sure he was on a good team, but don't we also want to be  good team?  If NU wants to be a top team, it can't keep playing other top team's rejects.  Walker is a guy who the other team will not have to defend outside the paint. As said above, this clogs the lane and makes it hard for everyone else.  Unlikely he will be  rim protector on defense at 6'8".  just don't get why we have one, let alone two, of these types of players on the roster. 

I've never seen Kobe Webster play so all I can go off of is his stats.  But based on his stats, he looks like a chucker.  Chucks up a lot of shot and some of them go in.  His shooting percentages have never been good and he shot 33% from 3 last year as a junior.  Where are the shooters?  Yet another guy the defense can sag off of or go under screens and clog the lane making it more difficult for everyone else.  And I seriously doubt he is in the same stratosphere as a passer as Cam who was an elite passer and playmaker.  Look at Kavas' numbers when he played in the MAC.  Kavas' numbers and percentages are much, much more impressive.  We all saw how that translated to the B1G which is an infinitely higher level of basketball.  

Lat Mayen averaged about 10 points in juco, where we already know they play absolutely no defense.  Jervay averaged 24 pts and shot 39% from 3 in juco and how did that translate.  Now we have a guy who averaged 10 points in juco.  Mayen did seem to get better as the year progressed, and he does seem to have some length and athleticism, but still, he seems to be yet another role player at best.  Even Sadler, Collier, and MIles were always able to get role player level players.  But that is not enough.  Where the difference makers?  Where the 1st, 2nd or 3rd team All-B1G players?  Can't win in the B1G without some.

Edited by NUdiehard

Some people are glass half full types instead of worst case. You can make the opposite of your case if you want as well. JPJ, Petteway, Pitchford all did nothing at there first school but turned into all conference type guys. Just because Green didnt translate doesn’t mean all Jucos especially guys with previous P5 experience will.

Who knows what will happen and you might be right in the end. However I would not be surprised if one or more of Banton, Allen, Stevenson, King, or who knows develops into a all conference guy. Things change, kids develop, hopefully a couple of ours pan out and we are greatly improved next year.

Edited by Art Vandalay

I think Allen can score.   I wouldn't say he is a super athlete but he does have some strength and I think Hoiberg can get him open.  I am hoping that Banton and Stevenson are guys that creates mismatch problems.    So that is where my optimism starts.   There's no fun in taking a pestimistic view.  

Thor improved his shot quite a bit this year  I am hoping some of that is due to the new coaches so I am hoping other players will improve this summer.    2nd year should be better.   We shall see. 

Nobody's asking for a miracle next year. If we can get to 7-8 conference wins and be competitive most of the rest of the games, maybe we squeeze out an NIT bid. Maybe not. However, our seniors next year appear to be Webster, and maybe Thor and Green. None of them may start, though Webster could play significant minutes, starter or not. Here's a rotation-plus: 

• Webster, Sr.
  • Banton, So.
  • Allen, Jr.
  • King, Jr.
  • Stevenson, Jr.
  • Walker, Jr.
  • Mayen, Jr.
  • Ouedraogo, So.
  • Thor, Sr.
  • Cross, So.
  • Green, Sr.

That's 11 deep, so a couple of those players are likely to see only spot minutes. If you look closely, that's the kind of experience we had in 2017-2018, when we won 13 conference games — lots of juniors, lots of transfers, raw young big men. Would anyone have put Palmer or Petteway on all-conference teams before they played their first games here? Again, I'll be happy with 7-13 or 8-12 in conference, but to dismiss the team because of transfers and youth, that's premature.

Replace Green, Thor and Webster with Tominaga, Sallis and Whitt, turn all of those juniors into seniors, and add a legit big man in Sanogo, that team enters 2021-2022 with a chance to contend. I see the plan in effect. It has worked here, to a lesser extent, with a coach who doesn't have Hoiberg's pedigree of success in doing the exact thing at another university.

Edited by jayschool

*Based off earlier projections plus the addition of Kobe Webster*

PG: D. Banton - K. Webster (or) J. Green

Wing: K. King - T. Thorbjarnarson

Wing: T. Allen - T. Thorbjarnarson 

Wing: S. Stevenson - L. Mayen

With the cancelation of everything sports related, some clarity of the Nebrasketball roster is all I have to look forward to next week.

Edited by khoock

3 minutes ago, khoock said:

*Based off earlier projections plus the addition of Kobe Webster*

PG: D. Banton - K. Webster (or) J. Green

Wing: K. King - T. Thorbjarnarson

Wing: T. Allen - T. Thorbjarnarson 

Wing: S. Stevenson - L. Mayen

With the cancelation of everything sports related, some clarity of the Nebrasketball roster is all I have to look forward to next week.

I can roll with this. Last scholarship (Burke's/Mack) will probably be used on sit out guys I'd imagine. 

Just now, thrasher31 said:

I can roll with this. Last scholarship (Burke's/Mack) will probably be used on sit out guys I'd imagine. 

Assuming the same thing. HCFH wants 2-3 per year he said. Im still on board with RS'ing Akol Arop next year but im guessing thats highly unlikely, so a couple sit out guys is probably the move.

7 hours ago, reddan said:

Mutual but coach driven. Fred had to put this roster together so quickly some not so good dudes ended up here. Much more due diligence being done now. 

So to summarize would this be correct?

Burke - Moving on

Mack - Moving on

Green - Moving on

Arop - Staying?

Easley - Staying but not on a 'ship?

Thor - Staying

Cross - Staying

Yvan - Staying

Returning Redshirts:  Walker,Stevenson,Banton

Incoming:  Mayan,Allen,Webster

Even though Mack's been a handful I hope he returns though I doubt he will. Green and Burke Jr., though solid can be replaced, and it will leave the program without much of Miles influence. That said, Arop should go too. He could thrive at a smaller school. Scholarships cannot be wasted what w/ the attrition rates and injuries. I really hope Cross returns- even more than Ouedraogo.

My guess is four players leave. That would allow for three new players, assuming Easley goes back to walk on status. 

NU still needs a sharpshooter and an athletic big man (or two!) 

5 hours ago, jimmykc said:

If Green goes,I wish him well. I think he might do ok in another system and at least he seemed to have a smile on his face while he was on the court.

Yeah, even after he was suspended & fell out of the rotation for a while, Jervay Green kept his head up, nose to the grindstone (except for FTs, woof) & essentially he displayed attributes that appeared to be way more mature in response than dudes like Cam & Burkey. I hope J.G. does well, maybe he'll hook back up with Tim Miles at his next stop--that'd be cool. Wish him well. GBR!

Edited by AuroranHusker