Teddy Allen is N

hhcmatt

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Lol he didn't say there couldn't be one JUCO player better than Teddy.

He literally said he doubts there's 5 JUCO players better than him haha. It's honestly not that big of a deal, but I'm just mentioning that there definitely are lol. Teddy is also playing the same dudes Jervay played against, and he was also putting up crazy numbers. Washut is paid to hype these recruits up for us, but I'm taking all of his ridiculous stats with a grain of salt. 

45 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

He literally said he doubts there's 5 JUCO players better than him haha. It's honestly not that big of a deal, but I'm just mentioning that there definitely are lol. Teddy is also playing the same dudes Jervay played against, and he was also putting up crazy numbers. Washut is paid to hype these recruits up for us, but I'm taking all of his ridiculous stats with a grain of salt. 

As long as he's as good as he was the first week of January 2018, he'll be all right.  Even though he only hit one shot outside of 10 feet in those games.

Date Opponent W/L GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1/1/2018 Kansas State W 0 19 8 12 0.7 8 12 0.7 0 0   6 7 0.9 1 2 3 1 2 0 3 1 22
1/6/2018 Oklahoma W 0 24 9 11 0.8 9 11 0.8 0 0   2 2 1 1 1 2 0 0 0 1 1 20

(And then the next two games he played five minutes in each and didn't score.)

29 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

As long as he's as good as he was the first week of January 2018, he'll be all right.  Even though he only hit one shot outside of 10 feet in those games.

Date Opponent W/L GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

huggy bear did not want him shooting 3’s for some reason. The fact huggy kept benching despite his performance has always worried me. Hope like hell hes matured 

22 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

This is what sets him apart in my eyes. Dude put up double digit points against the eventual national champs in the sweet 16 of an NCAA Tournament. Pretty rare for a JUCO kid to have that kind of track record against that kind of competition. 

15 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Huggy plays a lot of dudes. Looks a lot like his up and down minutes in a lineup are pretty typical for a lot of guys there.

I watched him a lot when he was there. Huggy was always in his ear. He’d score 3-4 buckets, then take a three and he would hear about it and find himself on the bench a long time.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:04 AM, OmahaHusker said:

I won’t act like I know much about the players ranked ahead of him or the difference in competition but the kid in front of him is averaging 14 points less per game. 

Also, outside of Teddy putting up better stats than Jervay I think the biggest takeaway would be that Teddy has already been D-1 and proven he belongs. And for a team that is dreadful at shooting free throws...that’s one that that should travel with him. Jervay was a 50% FT shooter at juco level. Teddy is a 90% FT shooter. If Hoiberg can keep him in line he’s going to be a big piece to the puzzle. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

In many instances, stats can be very misleading.  I would certainly hope (and I do trust) our coaching staff doesn't simply look at stats to judge a player; especially juco players.

This dude was a player in HS.  He also performed well in his short stint with Huggy Bear.  I think this kid can play high division one basketball.  My questions go beyond the talent question.  Can he fit in as a teammate?  Is he a "team first" player?  Can he fit into this community (both city and university)?  Can he hack it academically? Can he learn the system?

But you know what, these are just not Teddy questions, these are questions for every athlete that steps on our campus.

10 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I won’t act like I know much about the players ranked ahead of him or the difference in competition but the kid in front of him is averaging 14 points less per game. 

Also, outside of Teddy putting up better stats than Jervay I think the biggest takeaway would be that Teddy has already been D-1 and proven he belongs. And for a team that is dreadful at shooting free throws...that’s one that that should travel with him. Jervay was a 50% FT shooter at juco level. Teddy is a 90% FT shooter. If Hoiberg can keep him in line he’s going to be a big piece to the puzzle. 

Kid took over games against highly ranked opponents as a true freshman.  There are absolutely zero on the court reasons to question if Teddy is a high level player.  He absolutely is.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 8:27 AM, hhcmatt said:

Have you looked?  Jay Scrubb and Tyon Grant-Foster are no joke. Team USA can take their pick of college players for the U-19 team and they invited Scrubb to their training camp as a Juco player.

Remembered this convo about Jay Scrubb from back in January and randomly came across this new highlight vid of him on twitter. Wow.

• 4 weeks later...

Good OWH Article on Teddy Allen:  (Chris Heady; 4/17/20)

One overlooked factor may be that new team-mate Kobe KIng also had a troubled up-bringing and resulting estrangement from his father. Not that Teddy needs it, but this could be a positive development in his life.

Teddy Allen was seen as a risk, but Husker basketball's 'very comfortable' with the recent signee

“We talked to a lot of people that have been in Teddy’s life, including the coaches that he played for,” Hoiberg said on a conference call with reporters. “We’re very comfortable taking on Teddy, especially with the conversations that we had with him all the way back to when we first went out to see him in Scottsbluff.”

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/mens-basketball/teddy-allen-was-seen-as-a-risk-but-husker-basketballs-very-comfortable-with-the-recent/article_d9ef5011-19fc-598b-9d44-84af2845b79a.html

Edited by Red Don

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, REDitus said:

I miss the old days where a good midrange game was appreciated.   I think chucking 3's and slam dunks leads to lazy basketball & bad defense.  

Disagree.  Defense has had to improve across the board athletically now that everyone has to guard the perimeter no matter what position they play.  

You have to basically be a demigod to be a great perimeter defender these days because everyone can shoot it (and will with a sliver of an opening).  

On 9/3/2020 at 5:37 AM, REDitus said:

I miss the old days where a good midrange game was appreciated.   I think chucking 3's and slam dunks leads to lazy basketball & bad defense.  

17 hours ago, LK1 said:

Disagree.  Defense has had to improve across the board athletically now that everyone has to guard the perimeter no matter what position they play.  

You have to basically be a demigod to be a great perimeter defender these days because everyone can shoot it (and will with a sliver of an opening).  

Just different, not sure that either style forces better or worse defense.

15 years ago you had to defend 1/3 of the court -- everything from 2' past the 3pt line and in.  Offenses could break you down in so many different ways.  Now offenses have way more weapons on the perimeter and defenses are built around chasing teams off the 3pt line, while also having a man home to avoid easy buckets at the rim.  To the layman's eye, modern strategy seems more simple in theory but in execution it sure does look like guys are flying around and rotating more than they used to on D.  Athletically speaking, I find guarding the entire defensive 1/3 of the floor more difficult than just patrolling the 3pt line and under the rim.  So yeah, just different.

6 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

15 years ago you had to defend 1/3 of the court -- everything from 2' past the 3pt line and in.  Offenses could break you down in so many different ways.  Now offenses have way more weapons on the perimeter and defenses are built around chasing teams off the 3pt line, while also having a man home to avoid easy buckets at the rim.  To the layman's eye, modern strategy seems more simple in theory but in execution it sure does look like guys are flying around and rotating more than they used to on D.  Athletically speaking, I find guarding the entire defensive 1/3 of the floor more difficult than just patrolling the 3pt line and under the rim.  So yeah, just different.

Remember Paul Westhead at Loyola Marymount? To me he was the innovative coach that lead to the way the game is played today.

9 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

That is well stated.   Thank you. 

On September 3, 2020 at 4:40 PM, LK1 said:

Unless they play for us...