Teddy Allen is N

hhcmatt

30 minutes ago, khoock said:

Glad to have Teddy on board. Im assuming the last scholarship goes to a sit out guy.

I’ll be fascinated to see who the last one goes to... we could use a 7 footer or a PG understudy.  

But man... what a good looking roster next year.  

12 minutes ago, LK1 said:

I’ll be fascinated to see who the last one goes to... we could use a 7 footer or a PG understudy.  

But man... what a good looking roster next year.  

I could be wrong, but i do not think we will see too many 7 footers. Hoiberg, from what I understand, wants an athletic rim running big who he can teach to shoot. All the 7 footers that meet those qualities are 5* one and dones.

I also think Banton eases some of the urgency to find a PG. He can back up Mack and is also capable of taking over the role full time as a point forward.

Definitely agree though that this is shaping up to be a stacked roster! Very content with the present and future of Nebrasketball rn.

26 minutes ago, khoock said:

I could be wrong, but i do not think we will see too many 7 footers. Hoiberg, from what I understand, wants an athletic rim running big who he can teach to shoot. All the 7 footers that meet those qualities are 5* one and dones.

I also think Banton eases some of the urgency to find a PG. He can back up Mack and is also capable of taking over the role full time as a point forward.

Definitely agree though that this is shaping up to be a stacked roster! Very content with the present and future of Nebrasketball rn.

You might be right about Banton.  What a luxury.  Also, I actually think Fred likes traditional bruisers at the 5 while grooming his point forward types, but I could be wrong about that.  I think that's why he likes Yvan so much.  I'd like a Yvan compliment and a move to the 4 from Cross.  

1 hour ago, royalfan said:

My best guess at the rotation players.  Locks Blanton, Allen, Mack, Burke.   highly likely Stevenson Walker   Not so confident.  Green Cross Yvan.    There is likely to be some sort of turnover creating some time for Thor.  

I hope Blanton ends up being good because if he's not we do not have enough size to really compete.

31 minutes ago, khoock said:

Wish we could've given Brady a chance. Would be a junior next year and could've been a realistic version of this. And he would have been someone who would have stuck around even if he didn't play much for a year. That whole 8 man philosophy will be interesting in a day when people transfer immediately. Even coach Calipari played a 10 man rotation when he had that dream team a few years ago. Not saying its bad idea. I actually kind of like it. But there's hardly even a point of filling all the scholarships. We've already seen a early season transfer caused by this. 

Agreed that next year's roster will be difficult to satisfy but that is why they went out and hired a master coach. NU will have a surplus of good players for once- what a problem to have! I think getting a big man (a skilled seven-footer would be grand, but I'd gladly take a skilled freshman in the 6'10" range. Either Anselem or Tchikou would be great. Then follow up with Sallis and another big man (Clemence or Breidenbach) and they should be set.

20 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

I hope Blanton ends up being good because if he's not we do not have enough size to really compete.

Purdue’s frontcourt goes 7’3” 250, 6’9” 270, 6’8” 220 and 6’9” 205 and we competed pretty well with only two post players who are both true freshman.

After Hoiberg’s first year at Iowa State, he never had a rotation player taller than 6’9”. The big ten’s leading rebounder last year was 6’6” 250. 7 footers aren’t a necessity and could actually hold our offense back, unless you can find one with exceptional mobility and skill. But those guys go to KU and Duke. 

Next year we’ll have available: 

6’9” 260

6’8” 240

6’8” 240

6’8” 210-ish

6’6” 245

6’5” 220

8 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

Purdue’s frontcourt goes 7’3” 250, 6’9” 270, 6’8” 220 and 6’9” 205 and we competed pretty well with only two post players who are both true freshman.

After Hoiberg’s first year at Iowa State, he never had a rotation player taller than 6’9”. The big ten’s leading rebounder last year was 6’6” 250. 7 footers aren’t a necessity and could actually hold our offense back, unless you can find one with exceptional mobility and skill. But those guys go to KU and Duke. 

Next year we’ll have available: 

6’9” 260

6’8” 240

6’8” 240

6’8” 210-ish

6’6” 245

6’5” 220

That's great but none of the bigger guys are the guys you want starting. If your semi big guys can shoot that really puts stress on the defense chasing you around but I don't see any great stretch 4's or 5's in who we have. I mean just compare Cross, Walker, and Yvan to Copeland or Roby. If we still had the latter two I'd be on board but there is a huge difference in those two sets of players. To me they aren't even close to being close.

And also you can't take everything from one game Purdue has an RPI of 70 we beat them at home (like every single conference game so far) and there big man got hurt. They aren't that good and neither is Indiana. We are still getting absolutely destroyed on the boards this year. Are we improving, yes. Are we improving from losing to two rpi 250+ teams, also yes. 

Edited by cjbowbros

I think next year's starters are:

Mack, Burke, Allen, Stevenson and Ouedraogo with Banton and Cross playing as many, or more minutes. Green too, will see major minutes provided he is reinstated. (I still like his game and personality a lot). That is eight players right there. We will have a Senior in Thorbjarnarson and a veteran bruiser from the S.E.C. in Walker- who is an unknown quantity at this stage. Lincoln's own D. Williams has fantastic potential as well. I'm think we might see Arop transfer simply based on the limited minutes available, though I have no special information, especially since I see Easley getting better and being very productive. Perhaps, as khoock said, an incoming impact transfer may be an answer to fill the final spot. I also agree that one needn't have a traditional seven-footer to be a great team though Hoiberg and Coach A. seem to have some traction with some big, highly-skilled post players, though most are in the 6'10"- 6'11" range. A legitimate shot-blocker with natural scoring ability would put this team on the map, surely.

7 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

That's great but none of the bigger guys are the guys you want starting. If your semi big guys can shoot that really puts stress on the defense chasing you around but I don't see any great stretch 4's or 5's in who we have. I mean just compare Cross, Walker, and Yvan to Copeland or Roby. If we still had the latter two I'd be on board but there is a huge difference in those two sets of players. To me they aren't even close to being close.

The 5’s aren’t required to be perimeter shooters in this offense. His best post player at Iowa State was Jameel McKay. He was 6’9” 215 and never attempted a three. But he was what Hoiberg wants in an active rim-running big who will set  good ball screens and dive to the rim to draw the defense in. I believe Walker and Yvan can fill that role. No, they’re not perfect post players, but they can be more than serviceable.

I also think Walker and Cross can be valuable “stretch 4’s” in the trailer spot in our offense. Remember, Roby’s shooting numbers were very poor his freshman year. But we could see the mechanics were there. Cross and Walker have the ability to shoot the ball. 

Ohio State is a top 5 team. In their 8 man rotation they play four forwards: 6’6”, 6’6”, 6’8”, 6’9”. Kaleb Wesson is developing his shot, but none of those guys are knock down perimeter shooters. There are plenty of ways to win basketball games.

26 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

The 5’s aren’t required to be perimeter shooters in this offense. His best post player at Iowa State was Jameel McKay. He was 6’9” 215 and never attempted a three. But he was what Hoiberg wants in an active rim-running big who will set  good ball screens and dive to the rim to draw the defense in. I believe Walker and Yvan can fill that role. No, they’re not perfect post players, but they can be more than serviceable.

Well two points here I don't know much about these Iowa State teams but I'd guess that  1. They had better shooting around this guy. One of the biggest differences in the last two games is that we've shot 40% from 3 and Cam specifically was good from three. Allen helps a lot in this area but I don't see great shooting from Cam as a normal thing. Hope I'm wrong. 2. Yvan is not athletic enough to be a great rim running big. He can hardly dunk normally let alone catch alley-oops in the pick and roll. That's where he differs from Roby. Also I don't see the "mechanics" from either guy their shots don't look like they are anywhere close.

I still can't figure out where Cross ends up in all of this. If we play him at the 5 next year we are going to get killed in the paint. I don't care how much he weighs he's too short and not athletic enough to contest layups and grab rebounds. If we play him at the 4 with Yvan we have two guys who can't shoot. But sometimes you can only understand how it will work once you see it work.

Finally, Yvan, Cross, and Walker can't really dribble all that well either so the Kaleb Wesson comparison doesn't really compare. Also our other guys will be 6'1, 6'3, and 6'5 most of the time not 6'6 and up like Ohio State. We will be undersized at every position almost every night. 

I know you aren't expecting us to be the 3rd best team in the nation though. All I'm saying is that you don't play a bunch of statistical heights on the court. Their height is one statistic that goes along with many others and their height is already undersized and the "other" factors aren't that great either compared to our guards. 

Edited by cjbowbros

14 minutes ago, cjbowbros said:

Yvan is not athletic enough to be a great rim running big. He can hardly dunk normally let alone catch alley-oops in the pick and roll. That's where he differs from Roby.

He is 17 years old. I've seen high school seniors who are 19, so he could be a sophomore or junior in some schools. And he didn't lift before. He's going to get more explosive as he goes through our strength and conditioning program, as well as he actually grows into his body.

Edited by jason2486

42 minutes ago, jason2486 said:

He is 17 years old. I've seen high school seniors who are 19, so he could be a sophomore or junior in some schools. And he didn't lift before. He's going to get more explosive as he goes through our strength and conditioning program, as well as he actually grows into his body.

Roby dunked from the free throw line when he was 17 and I don’t think he was lifting much either. I think this could be the reason he is able to handle the ball better and make more lay-ups. Who's the last guy you saw actually get so much more explosive when he started that he had trouble dunking in at game speed and turned into a coordinated quick and high leaping roll man. People don't get that much more athletic from the time they are 17. Stronger absolutely, skilled sure, but faster, quicker, higher, usually not that much.

Edited by cjbowbros

4 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

Wish we could've given Brady a chance. Would be a junior next year and could've been a realistic version of this. And he would have been someone who would have stuck around even if he didn't play much for a year. That whole 8 man philosophy will be interesting in a day when people transfer immediately. Even coach Calipari played a 10 man rotation when he had that dream team a few years ago. Not saying its bad idea. I actually kind of like it. But there's hardly even a point of filling all the scholarships. We've already seen a early season transfer caused by this. 

I feel very confident that Blanton will be good.  Very Very Good.  

8 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

1. They had better shooting around this guy.

They did. I think the one thing we can both agree on is that the staff will continue to recruit better players who are better fits than the guys we currently have, as all teams do. They put this entire roster together in about 6 weeks and did a pretty darn impressive job of it.

2. Yvan is not athletic enough to be a great rim running big. He can hardly dunk normally let alone catch alley-oops in the pick and roll. That's where he differs from Roby. Also I don't see the "mechanics" from either guy their shots don't look like they are anywhere close.

The bigs we’re recruiting in the 2021 class will be more to your liking. But until then either Yvan or Derrick will be our starting 5. We’ll just have to agree to disagree if you think Brady was the answer. The staff didn’t think he was a good fit after individual and team workouts in the spring. Obviously, I’m trusting their judgement over anyone else’s.

Cross has a quicker release than Roby. Has good balance. Keeps his elbow in. He gets his left thumb in there a little bit more than I’d like but so do 95% of NBA players. Did you think Roby was a bad shooter his freshman year?

Also our other guys will be 6'1, 6'3, and 6'5 most of the time not 6'6 and up like Ohio State. We will be undersized at every position almost every night. 

Factually untrue. Ohio States four other guys in that rotation are all 6’1” to 6’3”. Going forward, the “other guys” we’ll have available will include Thor, Banton, Shamiel, Teddy. 

10 hours ago, millerhusker said:

I also think Walker and Cross can be valuable “stretch 4’s” in the trailer spot in our offense. Remember, Roby’s shooting numbers were very poor his freshman year. But we could see the mechanics were there. Cross and Walker have the ability to shoot the ball. 

Cross is going to be a 4 next year...Hoiberg constantly says he's playing out of position. 

Is Walker a typo? Did you mean someone else?  In two years at Tennessee Walker didn't attempt a 3pt shot and is a career 36.6% 3pt shooter which possibly makes him the worst shooter on the team.

10 hours ago, cjbowbros said:

I still can't figure out where Cross ends up in all of this. If we play him at the 5 next year we are going to get killed in the paint. I don't care how much he weighs he's too short and not athletic enough to contest layups and grab rebounds. If we play him at the 4 with Yvan we have two guys who can't shoot. But sometimes you can only understand how it will work once you see it work.

Finally, Yvan, Cross, and Walker can't really dribble all that well either so the Kaleb Wesson comparison doesn't really compare. Also our other guys will be 6'1, 6'3, and 6'5 most of the time not 6'6 and up like Ohio State. We will be undersized at every position almost every night. 

You do not yet understand the greatness of Kevin Cross but it's ok, you'l get there.

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Cross is going to be a 4 next year...Hoiberg constantly says he's playing out of position. 

Is Walker a typo? Did you mean someone else?  In two years at Tennessee Walker didn't attempt a 3pt shot and is a career 36.6% 3pt shooter which possibly makes him the worst shooter on the team.

It wasn’t a typo, but I could wrong about him. I like his shot, and Hoiberg has commented on his ability to step out to the perimeter and shoot. Hoping he’ll at least make the defense guard him out there. Shooting numbers in limited minutes should be taken with a grain of salt. Andrew White’s three point and free throw percentages at KU were pretty terrible.