uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 11 vs. Purdue

uneblinstu

Post game quotes

Nebraska Coach Fred Hoiberg

Opening statement

“I want to start out saying how proud I am of this group for the ability to bounce back after a really tough loss in Indiana the other night. I thought our guys came out with the right mentality yesterday. Any time you have basically a one-day prep after an overtime game, getting back at two in the morning. know our guys didn’t get to bed until probably three or four like everybody when you get back from a road trip like that. So to bounce back with a mental day and really challenge these guys to go out there and put in a game plan and to execute it pretty much to perfection I thought our energy had focus and our walkthrough this morning was as good as it’s been all year. We got them going a little bit got them a little sweat after not doing much yesterday and then went out and executed against a heck of a team. This team poses a lot of problems with their size and their physicality. They’re the fifth-best defensive team in the country, but I thought our execution at the beginning was excellent and into the half was excellent. I think this is where we won the game with that lull in the middle of the first half where we couldn’t throw that thing in the ocean, but we kept guarding and we gave ourselves a chance because they were not able to pull away when we couldn’t score the ball because of our defensive energy. Defensively I really challenged these two guys, Dachon (Burke Jr.) and Cam (Mack), to go in and help on the glass. It’s got to be a five-man effort. Our [bigs] are giving up size every time we step on the floor and they responded in a big way with Burke getting [seven] and Cam going out there and getting ten. Really pleased with the effort. One guy that I recognized in our locker room was Charlie (Easley). Charlie easily works as hard as anybody that I’ve been around and for him to go out there and keep himself prepared and keep himself ready  when you’re out of a rotation which I was plenty of times in my career you wait for these types of opportunities and the amount of work you put in will help you prepare to go out and have a positive impact on the game . Charlie made some big-time toughness plays. Hit the two big free throws. I know he’s probably upset because they hit the rim, but he went in there and made a big impact. I think everybody that stepped on the floor tonight had a positive impact on that win tonight and that’s what being a team is all about and responding to that tough loss the other night was a big time, big time performance by these guys to go out there and do that. So with that I’m out of here.”

On the adversity of the season

“I’ll say this. I was proud of them the other night. When you go out and battle like we did at Indiana and [our] first opportunity to play in the Big Ten is a road game and we handled it so much better in a hostile environment than we did that game against Creighton and I think, I hope, that was a turning point for us. The next morning, we had a film session where we talked about a lot of things. We were honest about a lot of things and I don’t think guys took it personal. I think we’ve grown since that situation and then to bounce back with that effort in Indiana, would have loved to have won it, but we talked about one of the hardest things in this business is to put a tough devastating loss behind doubt for our guys to go out there and do that, to bounce back the way we did, and everything [I challenged] I said make Purdue call the first timeout tonight and they did that by getting off to that good start and you set the tone and like I said, then you have that little lull and you’re able to sustain because we guarded and then finished of the half in a big way and then I thought those last 20 minutes we were phenomenal. We had that little stretch where we didn’t rebound it well but overall the energy, the effort, guys going out there and playing for each other. We had 26 baskets and 22 assists. That’s a big time stat. Only 11 turnovers against, like I said, the fifth best defense in the country and a team that really climbs into you and makes it tough. Just a really solid overall effort.”

On Cam Mack 

“No, It’s not surprising to me. When you know you’ve got a really good point guard is when they make really tough plays look easy and that’s what Cam does. He’s a guy that will look one way, he knows where he’s making the pass, but he’s looking the other way so the no look plays that he can make and sometimes that triggers another action. What isn’t in the stats are the hockey assists. You hit a guy in the pocket and then he makes the extra pass when the defense is sucked in. That’s what we’ve had the last couple of days with the ball in Cam’s hands, that’s a pretty efficient offense.”

Sophomore Guard Cam Mack

On what was working so well tonight: 

“Basically just getting my teammates involved and you know they came through. I wouldn’t have gotten any assists if they didn’t make shots. So I can really appreciate my teammates for making shots and helping me out.”

On being the first in the program to get a triple-double:

“Very surprised. There has been a lot of great people to come through Nebraska. And for me to have the first triple-double just give glory to God.” 

On preparing for games now:

"I just get into the gym more. I wasn’t a gym rat like that, but I just try to get into the gym and work on my free throws work on different stuff. Its really just locking in. It’s the Big Ten. Hard game every night and you have to come ready to play."

Nebraska Guard Dachon Burke Jr. 

On how far the team has came since the beginning of the year:

“We have come a long way. I feel like this year has been a rollercoaster, but we at a point now that everyone is just buying in. We just come in with each other. Buying into the coaches, watching film with coach, watching reads and just buying in with the team the coaching staff because it is all we have. We are just going to build on this.” 

On practicing three-point shot:  

“When I first game in I hadn’t been working on threes, but this year (Coach) Holberg has been on me a lot. My footwork. Balancing my highs and lows. I just stay in the gym really. I have just been staying in the gym and buying in with Fred. I have good teammates that give me good shots and get me open.” 

Freshman guard Charlie Easley 

On advice from Coach Hoiberg: 

“He just told us not to focus on the last game. We just got to keep moving on and keep focusing on the next task. We just got to focus up and have good practices and mentally don’t let the fatigue get to you. always play hard.” 

On the crowd energy: 

“It was a great feeling. I have always kind of been a crowd feeder and I like the energy. It was a great feeling to be out there with my teammates and effecting the game. It was good to get the win.” 

Purdue Head Coach Matt Painter

Opening Statement 
“If we could have come back and won this game, it would have been a shame. I thought Nebraska played harder than us and [they] were more ready to play. For a team that played [Indiana] Friday night on the road, you’d think it’d be the [opposite]. Give Nebraska credit. I thought those guys were hooked up and they played hard. We tried to take away some of what they try to do, especially from a transition standpoint and keeping the ball out of the paint. [Nebraska] played a good game. They have a couple really good guards [Cam Mack and Dachon Burke]. We tried to make it hard on them and both of those guys played with good discipline and made shots at the end.” 

On Cam Mack and his performance: 
“Mack is a good player. He is fast and can break you down off the dribble. You watch him on film [and sometimes] he gets out of control, especially earlier in the season. We needed him to get out of control, and he didn’t. He showed poise tonight. And he showed discipline--he handled the game...He had a triple-double, ran the team, played 35 minutes. I thought he was great. He was the best player on the floor tonight.” 

On Nebraska responding following losses at Creighton and Indiana
“Give [Nebraska] credit. It’s hard. You get your doors blown off [at Creighton] and you go [to Indiana]...To be able to regroup [after the Creighton loss] and have a game…[then lose] at Indiana, [in] a tough environment…[then] to have to regroup again and play the way they did tonight, give [Nebraska] credit. I thought [Dachon] Burke was great, [Cam] Mack was great, Thor[ir Thorbjarnarson]’s been solid. He had a great game against Indiana and he had a great game tonight. [Nebraska’s] guys outplayed our guys.”  

On early-season conference games: 
“[They’re] good for us. We need to play as many games against good [teams] as we can. [Nebraska’s] fans are maybe the best in the country outside of Purdue’s [fans]. They want to see Big Ten [games].”   

First, let me just say I hope Haarms is OK. Second, let me just say, as you watch this clip, it's pretty apparent Haarms got what he was trying to give.

That's not the approach and body angle you'd take if you're just trying to block a shot. Maybe Haarms was still pissed about something that happened earlier in the game? Like, oh, I don't know ...

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

First, let me just say I hope Haarms is OK. Second, let me just say, as you watch this clip, it's pretty apparent Haarms got what he was trying to give.

That's not the approach and body angle you'd take if you're just trying to block a shot. Maybe Haarms was still pissed about something that happened earlier in the game? Like, oh, I don't know ...

Yup. 

Play Easley.  

Haarms is a major-league drama queen.  But I agree wholeheartedly in hoping that he is OK and returns to action quickly.  Whatever the circumstances, that was a bad, bad fall.  When you're 7'3" and in the midst of jumping, you've got a long way to fall.

That being said, prior to and during the game before he had to leave, I can't honestly say I didn't hope he got hit in the family jewels repeatedly like he did a couple of years ago. 😎

OK. Second, let me just say, as you watch this clip, it's pretty apparent Haarms got what he was trying to give.

You're very much mistaken here.

Wheeler was called for the foul, not Haarms because Wheeler pushed him from behind

Here is the push with Haarm getting ready to jump

image.png

Easley is trying to avoid the block while also no longer being pushed by Wheeler. He's at an odd angle where he should have just fallen to the floor

image.png

Haarms is tracking the ball the entire time and blocks it easily.  He is simultaneously just realizing that Easley is undercutting is legs because Easley has dropped into a figure skating pose to keep his balance. Easley is also looking at the ball.

image.png

@hhcmatt Your stills don't change my mind about what Haarms was trying to do here. He's jumping into contact. In a path that intersects the offensive player (Easley.) Haarms might not have been called for the foul -- there might have been an earlier foul that would moot Haarms getting called -- but he's clearly, in my opinion, trying to make hard body contact with Easley.

36 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

@hhcmatt Your stills don't change my mind about what Haarms was trying to do here. He's jumping into contact. In a path that intersects the offensive player (Easley.) Haarms might not have been called for the foul -- there might have been an earlier foul that would moot Haarms getting called -- but he's clearly, in my opinion, trying to make hard body contact with Easley.

I'm not much of a physics guy -- and I'm clearly technologically impaired and don't know how to post stills from a video -- but I'm just going to go back to Isaac Newton's laws of motion.

When Easley makes his slash toward the bucket, Haarms has one foot well outside the paint, and both feet outside the charge arc in the mid-post area. When he lands, he's on the near side of the lane, low post. Which indicates to me that his direction was diagonal, high to low, across the lane. And he must have had quite a bit of momentum because, even after ramming into Easley, he continues on the same basic vector, Victor.

The video indicates Easley was headed in basically a perpendicular trajectory and the contact with Haarms is pretty firm because it clearly disrupts Easley's path of travel, sending him roughly 45* from his path of travel at the time of impact.

Haarms comes jumping in like he's going to do one of those chest-bump things. Or a guy in a Velcro suit trying to jump onto a felt wall. And it looks pretty unmistakable to me that he's planning on making body contact with Easley as he's jumping across the lane in Easley's direction, on a collision course with Easley's path of travel.

It's clear to me as I watch the video, which captures elements the still shots can't, that Haarms far from trying to *avoid* contact with Easley, was actually intending to initiate it.

Edited by Norm Peterson

23 hours ago, 49r said:

Give Fred Hoiberg a raise and extension right now.  I'm not joking.

I couldn’t agree more. If you’re going to give Frost an extension after two losing seasons, then Hoiberg (based on his resume) certainly warrants the same consideration. I’m a Frost Bobo, but coaching in the NBA carries more weight with me than going undefeated at UCF...

24 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:
23 hours ago, 49r said:

Give Fred Hoiberg a raise and extension right now.  I'm not joking.

I couldn’t agree more. If you’re going to give Frost an extension after two losing seasons, then Hoiberg (based on his resume) certainly warrants the same consideration. I’m a Frost Bobo, but coaching in the NBA carries more weight with me than going undefeated at UCF...

giphy.gif

If you're looking for the simple explanation for our success in conference play, it's us making 3s and our opponents missing them.

image.png

It's the good shooting Michigan team that probably gives us more trouble than the superior rebounding Illinois squad that doesn't have much outside shooting and turns the ball over a lot.

It was just so fun watching that game on Sunday. The most fun I've had at a game since the Iowa comeback last year, but even better than that because we played such a complete game against Purdue. The improvement offensively is obvious, but what I have noticed is a commitment to expending energy on the defensive end. That was something which most definitely was NOT present earlier in the year. They are paying more attention to detail and have stepped it up leaps and bounds from where we were a week earlier. While we gave up over 90 to Indiana, I felt that we played a very good game on D. We got enough stops - we simply didn't end enough of those possessions with a defensive rebound. Had we done that on 6-8 more possessions, we likely win the game. And while Purdue isn't an offensive juggernaut, they are a good Big Ten ball club which will win some games against the top half of the conference. While I know we'll still struggle at times, it will be enjoyable watching this team if they sell out and play hard. These games have gotten me more emotionally invested. 

On 12/16/2019 at 12:54 PM, pmd9 said:

1. Mid 60s....&. hubby in 70s. (Old, old man!!)

2.  No one was hurt.....except the car....mechanical—steering/alignment

3.  Efficiency apartments in the Hay Market are quite reasonable. (Now to convince my other half!  Ha!)

GBR!

Glad no one was hurt