uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 11 vs. Purdue

uneblinstu

Hope everyone got home safe!!! Roads are a bit slick. Couple thoughts

-cross impressed and is getting better and better. Once we reshape his body we have a LEGIT weapon. I was really really impressed with his defense. Especially against trevion Williams. Gave up some boards, but "bend don't break" a lot

-Burke is emerging. His shot gets better and better every game. 

Obviously Cam dominated today. His 3 I'm pleased with. A lot. I think we'll see him win his matchup on most nights as long as he plays under control.

-Thor. Is. The. Calming. Factor. They play a lot better with him. If you had told me that when Fred Hoiberg was hired, I would've asked you what you were drinking and gotten some myself.

-Kavas was able to drive today. And I didn't think he could dribble quite frankly, but that one drive from the perimeter impressed me. Made me go "wait that was Kavas. Huh?". Sometimes a shooter just needs the ball to go in the net. Let's hope this starts something. 

-Haanif does it all in a quiet manner and doesn't complain

-lets hope they get jervay back soon. The fact he's around the team still tells me this is probably a temporary thing. He gives the offense another look on offense. 

-can we get a round of applause for the walk on? Held his own against some pretty good guards on defense today. 

I'm happy to be wrong. I'm still cautiously optimistic about win total this year, but Fred is getting them ready to play night in night out

I arrived way late to the game due backed up traffic on I-80 westbound from Omaha. Horrible multi-car accident. 2 confirmed deaths and about a dozen injured, a few serious. 

My prayers go out to everyone involved.

1. Sparse crowd, especially considering we hadn't played a home game in 2.5 weeks and it was a conference home opener vs a top 25 team. 

2. Those who attended where vocal.

3. I don't think I've ever attended a game with so few fouls called.

4. Hope Harms is OK. Could hear the sound of him hitting the court across the arena.

5. You had to be there, but it was very physical under the boards for rebounds. Best effort of the season. Hopefully they can keep it up.

6. Thorir needs to be a starter going forward. I'm glad we get one more year of him. His leadership is really starting to show up.

7. Haanif is the glue for this team.

8. Kevin and Yvan are getting better with each passing game.

9. Charlie is going to be a key player for this team down the road and does a good job when Mack needs a breather.

10. Burke and Mack are shapping up to be one of the top back courts in the BIG.

11. How about those FH inbound plays. 

12. This is last, but really first. What a game by Mack. I'm speechless. 

After stepping away from the interwebs to decompress and not let my emotions get the best of me on this board, I fin-

WE WON TODAY! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? WE WON! WE LOOKED LIKE A TEAM THAT COULD COMPETE IN THE BIG TEN. I HAVEN'T FELT THIS ELATED AFTER A NEBRASKETBALL WIN SINCE BEATING TOP 25 RANKED MARYLAND LAST MARCH!

(Now back to your regularly scheduled "get your hopes up every game because we now have proven this week that we have even a slightest chance to beat any given team" programming.)

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

He played pretty well last year when given the opportunity. That comes first. You have to get on the floor to be a player. Second, CONFIDENCE. It had to be a shot of confidence when he was the only player Fred wanted to come back. Hoiberg continues to trust him while the opportunities grow and Thor has certainly taken advantage of the chances given this year. Painter actually mentioned Thorir in his post game press conference. 

Loved his hustle last year, was a good team player.  This year, he is looking to contribute on both ends, not just defense.

We may only win a few more games this year but I like watching this team play. You can start to see some of our future key players grasping the speed of this level and starting to gel. More importantly, you can see why Hoiberg is so highly thought of. We are going to be really fun to watch when the young is grow up and Hoiberg continues to bring in more talent. 

53 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Loved his hustle last year, was a good team player.  This year, he is looking to contribute on both ends, not just defense.

Most agreed that an outside shot was the only thing keeping Thor off the court this entire time.  He’s clearly put in the work in the offseason, and his body is stronger and more lean than last season.  He’s hands down one of our best 5 players.  Major props to him.  

Just watched the highlights again.  8:12 left and Purdue hits a two to make the game 52-50.  With 5:25 left, we’re up 56-50 when Cross gets a steal and Thor runs out for a lay-up.  That would be all we need because Purdue makes it to just 56 total points.  We held Purdue to 6 points in 8 minutes.  THE FINAL 8 minutes.  That, my friends, is amazing and if we buy in with that much effort on the D end the rest of this year, we will compete in all of our games.

6 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I’ve always said that when someone records the first triple double in school history, I’d start the chatter from inside the arena, well, today is that day!

Chatter away, my friends!

Well, to be fair, Brennan Clemmons had a triple-double in an exhibition. And, of course, on the lady Huskers, Lindsay Moore had a triple double in a regular season contest. But, today, was the first 'real' one for the Husker men's team in a game that counted !

Edited by AuroranHusker

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Cheatham gets down the floor on the break like no one else. He's getting a lot of points from easy looks when we get out and run. That's a skill of knowing when to be ahead of the other team in transition. And he's doing it. We'll miss him next year.

he just might be that program transitional pillar we need to bridge to next year. So happy he's apparently acclimated and broken out of the nerves

8 hours ago, pmd9 said:

Hey, folks,  I am ELATED that our Huskers won today! What a great victory!

However, we had a fender bender on the way home from church this morning. We were going to the game anyway but then heard I-80 was closed from Gretna to Waverly (we live in Omaha) so we decided to stay home.  I cried....still a bit shook up from the accident & then not getting to go to watch my team, it was too much for this old lady.  But I cheered as if I had gone:  Husker Power when Purdue was introduced, stood until the first basket,  _______ for 3,  etc.    Next time there is a chance of snow on game day, I’m going down to Lincoln the night before!  Missed the Purdue game last year because of the roads, too.  Actually, I’m ready to move to the Hay Market!  Ha!  GBR!   

Several things.

1. Define old! :)

2. Hope no one was hurt in fender bender

3. Good plan going forward!

5 hours ago, colhusker said:

Several things.

1. Define old! :)

2. Hope no one was hurt in fender bender

3. Good plan going forward!

1. Mid 60s....&. hubby in 70s. (Old, old man!!)

2.  No one was hurt.....except the car....mechanical—steering/alignment

3.  Efficiency apartments in the Hay Market are quite reasonable. (Now to convince my other half!  Ha!)

GBR!

Post game notes

• Nebraska’s 70-56 win over Purdue marked the first Big Ten coaching victory of Fred Hoiberg’s career, and the Huskers’ 14-point margin of victory was the second-largest of the season.
  • The Huskers had a season-high 22 assists in the win, the first time Nebraska had 20 assists in a game in more than a year dating back to a 21-assist performance against Missouri State on Nov. 18, 2018. Nebraska had 22 assists on its 26 made baskets.
  • NU had 22 assists and only 11 turnovers in the game, as Nebraska posted its best assist-to-turnover ratio of the season (plus-11). The Huskers boast a plus-21 assist-to-turnover ratio in their two Big Ten Conference games (41 assists, 20 turnovers).
  • Nebraska had two 12-0 runs in the first half en route to taking a 34-23 lead into the locker room. The 12-0 runs were the largest Purdue has allowed this season, as the Boilermakers had allowed only one double-digit run (11-0) in their first nine games this season.
  • Nebraska held Purdue to its worst shooting performance of the season. The Boilermakers shot just 30.4 percent from the field (24-of-79) and only 17.1 percent from the 3-point line (6-of-35). Purdue’s 30.4 percent shooting was the lowest mark Nebraska has held an opponent to this season.
  • Cam Mack had 11 points, 10 rebounds and 12 assists to post the first triple-double in the history of the Nebraska men’s basketball program (Note: Brennon Clemmons had a triple-double in an exhibition game against Sports Tours on Nov. 14, 2002). Mack’s triple-double was the first in Big Ten play since Zavier Simpson of Michigan had one against Ohio State on Jan. 29, 2019.
  • Mack’s 10 rebounds and 12 assists were both career highs.
  • With his triple-double, Mack has now posted a double-double in each of his first two career Big Ten Conference games, as Mack had 15 points and 10 assists in Friday’s game at Indiana. Mack is the first Husker in at least 30 years to have back-to-back double-doubles in points and assists.
  • Mack has posted three points-assists double-doubles in 11 games this season. In Nebraska’s previous 29 seasons, a Husker had produced a points-assists double-double a total of just five times.
  • Dachon Burke Jr. scored a game-high 18 points against Purdue after scoring a game-high 25 points at Indiana on Friday. Burke has scored 43 points in the first two Big Ten Conference games of his career.
  • Burke also tied his season high with seven rebounds against Purdue.
  • Thorir Thorbjarnarson scored 13 points, his fourth consecutive game in double figures and the fourth time in his career he has scored 10 or more points.
  • Home teams are now 12-0 in Big Ten play following Nebraska’s win.
  • Nebraska snapped a three-game losing streak to Purdue dating back to Jan. 6, 2018,