uneblinstu’s postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 11 vs. Purdue

uneblinstu

I promise this will be my last time posting this but...

WHAT A SHOCKER THIS TEAM HAS FACED THREE ABOVE AVERAGE TO GOOD TEAMS IN A ROW AND HAS IMPROVED EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I really think that we just had a deer in the headlights type of game against Creighton to start. That was the best team this team had played collectively, and for many players, individually.

Last thing, if they play like this all year those first two games of the year will be very regrettable.

GBR!

Edited by khoock

3 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Painter: "I was hoping the team that player Creighton showed up."

He also said Nebraska was awful at the beginning of the year. He didn’t want to show his team our tape. He was hoping the team that got its doors blown off against Creighton showed. He also said if they came back and won it would have been a shame because Nebraska out played them. Said Cam was the best player on the floor. 

Edited by Dean Smith

Got to watch on and off.  Was a great win.

Will continue to say that Thor needs to start every game the rest of the way barring injuries.  He’s our most all around player.  

Green coming back will need to give up a few shots to Burke and Thor.  They are both playing well right now.  I also like our rotation right now.

You see flashes in both Cross and Yuv that make you go “wow.”  Then there are times where you’re like “oof.”  Freshman who will continue to get better.

After watching these last two, screw next year, let’s focus on this year and win some ball games.  This team can do it.

Cam Mack my man.  Nice job on the triple-double.  Will be key for us moving forward and needs to stay on the right path for us.

Did I see Kavas drive today?  He needs to continue to accept his role and there is a place for him this year.  However, a continued improvement on D is a must.

All around great game!  Everyone played well.  If we keep playing hard like this, we will win some games.  Night and day difference from Creighton.  Glad they saw the effort it takes to compete at this level and took something from it.

Didn't get a chance to watch the IU game, but I can't describe how impressed I was with today's performance:

• Based on the OT loss at IU and playing again within 48 hours, I never dreamed we would be close, much less win.
  • Effort was not a question, especially on the boards.
  • When shots fall, even in spurts, this team can be dangerous and play with anyone. Win? Maybe not, but at least compete.
  • From an outsider's perspective, Coach Hoiberg is second to no one in scheme.
  • Big congrats to Cam Mack for his triple double!
  • Thor is the glue - when he is on the floor, it's a positive.
  • Keep improving, keep playing as hard as possible and good things will happen.

Painter was outcoached.

Hope the big guy is okay...that was a sick sound when he hit the floor.

Everyone who played contributed.  This is the team I was hoping for.

I thought Purdue would dominate the paint.  Our swarming defense was fun to watch.

I thought Purdue would dominate the rebounding battle.  We went to war and held our own.  Proud of the guards for banging underneath

Kavas has got to find his outside shot.

When we shoot the three in the flow, it looks great.  When we jack them at first touch, not so much.

Thor is a gamer.  He certainly is a glue player, but oftentimes, he is much more.

Damn, that was a terrific game by Cam.  Wow, the first triple double EVER in the history of the program.  WOW.

Burke played pretty darn good as well.

Nice win men!.  Very nice win.

How do you try 35 3's if your Purdue with that size advantage?

If you told me this team would shoot 37 % from 3 in and 70 % from the line in our first 2 conference games, I would have told you to check yourself in to the mental institution.

If we keep playing like this, we might not be playing the first day of the BTT.

This team may have turned the corner after the 2nd half of the Creighton game.  I just have to tell myself, this team may not be as bad as they seem against Creighton.

Edited by brfrad

Was telling Mrs CH that once young Mr Cross gets a couple years in the weight room, tones and puts the weight where it should be he is going to be a match up nightmare.

Mack was a stud today.

Thor is a completely different player this year.

Cheatham seems to understand he doesn't need to be a scorer and will do the little things. And gets his points when they come to him.

Burke looked much better on the offensive end.  Defensive end was better today.

Easley will pull our FT percentage up

Ivan showed signs that there is a good basketball player in there.  Just needs to be stronger

Kavas HAS to get it going doesn't he?

9 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Was telling Mrs CH that once young Mr Cross gets a couple years in the weight room, tones and puts the weight where it should be he is going to be a match up nightmare.

Mack was a stud today.

Cheatham seems to understand he doesn't need to be a scorer and will do the little things. And gets his points when they come to him.

Burke looked much better on the offensive end.  Defensive end was better today.

Easley will pull our FT percentage up

Ivan showed signs that there is a good basketball player in there.  Just needs to be stronger

Kavas HAS to get it going doesn't he?

Love it all, but this is especially interesting. Cheatham is finding his role and now hes looking like the mature, confident player I was expecting. What I've noticed recently too, is hes one of our best guards in transition. With how sharp he is, he knows how to pick moments and windows to get to the basket. Very exciting signs all around! 

15 minutes ago, brfrad said:

How do you try 35 3's if your Purdue with that size advantage?

I saw that as I was leaving the PBA, and was amazed.  Certainly 8 or 10 came late as they were throwing them up attempting to come back, but with Purdue's inside presence, what were they thinking throwing so many up?  I guess, I will give credit where credit is due.  Our game planning and defensive effort was spot on.  KUDOS.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Like on Purdue's last score the guy was driving and Cheatham just stepped aside and let him score.  

I have seen way too many guys try to get a charge or block it because they didn't know that that layup doesn't hurt any.

He just grabbed the ball from the net stepped out of bonds and throw the ball in to keep the clock running.

Little things.. just senior known little things...

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I’ve always said that when someone records the first triple double in school history, I’d start the chatter from inside the arena, well, today is that day!

Chatter away, my friends!

Not the first triple double in history.  Lindsey Moore had a triple double ten years ago

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

He played pretty well last year when given the opportunity. That comes first. You have to get on the floor to be a player. Second, CONFIDENCE. It had to be a shot of confidence when he was the only player Fred wanted to come back. Hoiberg continues to trust him while the opportunities grow and Thor has certainly taken advantage of the chances given this year. Painter actually mentioned Thorir in his post game press conference. 

Edited by Dean Smith