HS Bball/Millard North vs Burke

Had the pleasure of watching our fourth in-state Division 1 basketball team, Millard North, play last night. Just wanted to share a few thoughts. 

1. How can AAU ever take that over? I've spent a lot of time in the AAU circuit and in High School basketball. I will forever be flabbergasted that AAU has taken any hold in our society. How these guys could put in their twitter bios, "OSA 17u Family for Life" in front of their own High School team is simply amazing to me. There's like 20 people watching your AAU game. No one cares, it doesn't matter, no one knows who even won. Now get off my lawn. 

2. That Millard North team has to be one of the most talented teams in Nebraska HS history. I imagine every player in their top 5 will play division one basketball. They're not the best team ever - that goes to the Omaha Central boys their senior year of the 4 year run. Those gentlemen were vicious dogs who came out of the womb playing with each other. But this North team has 3 power 5 players on it at a minimum, and a couple slightly lower level guys. 

3. Did we go after Max Murrell at all? If so, bummer he got away. If not, why not? 

4. I hope that Hunter Sallis is really a momma's boy and family man, because if he's not, we're not going to get him. That's a UNC/Duke/Kentucky ---> NBA kid. He's not even playing that hard right now and can get 20 by waking up. I'm not sure if he's a point guard, combo guard, or a strict shooting guard. Also, my wife really liked his shoes and thought he'd make a pretty girl. That's up to you to determine if that expert scouting advice is relevant. 

5. Jasen Green is a perfect position-less player for Hoiberg's system. I see why we offered him so early. He's got some serious potential my friends. 

6. Good to see high school referees have still found their way to over-officiate the game and make them choppy foul fests. 

7. The little "shooting a bow and arrow," or "playing the air guitar," after every three you make, and finding some camera to flex into after every lay-up - is so cheesy and contrived. I love raw-emotion, and yes the game is absolutely supposed to be fun. But c'mon, these are planned and unauthentic. Now, as I said in the opening, get off my  lawn.

On 12/14/2019 at 12:39 PM, basketballjones said:

Had the pleasure of watching our fourth in-state Division 1 basketball team, Millard North, play last night. Just wanted to share a few thoughts. 

1. How can AAU ever take that over? I've spent a lot of time in the AAU circuit and in High School basketball. I will forever be flabbergasted that AAU has taken any hold in our society. How these guys could put in their twitter bios, "OSA 17u Family for Life" in front of their own High School team is simply amazing to me. There's like 20 people watching your AAU game. No one cares, it doesn't matter, no one knows who even won. Now get off my lawn. 

2. That Millard North team has to be one of the most talented teams in Nebraska HS history. I imagine every player in their top 5 will play division one basketball. They're not the best team ever - that goes to the Omaha Central boys their senior year of the 4 year run. Those gentlemen were vicious dogs who came out of the womb playing with each other. But this North team has 3 power 5 players on it at a minimum, and a couple slightly lower level guys. 

3. Did we go after Max Murrell at all? If so, bummer he got away. If not, why not? 

4. I hope that Hunter Sallis is really a momma's boy and family man, because if he's not, we're not going to get him. That's a UNC/Duke/Kentucky ---> NBA kid. He's not even playing that hard right now and can get 20 by waking up. I'm not sure if he's a point guard, combo guard, or a strict shooting guard. Also, my wife really liked his shoes and thought he'd make a pretty girl. That's up to you to determine if that expert scouting advice is relevant. 

5. Jasen Green is a perfect position-less player for Hoiberg's system. I see why we offered him so early. He's got some serious potential my friends. 

6. Good to see high school referees have still found their way to over-officiate the game and make them choppy foul fests. 

7. The little "shooting a bow and arrow," or "playing the air guitar," after every three you make, and finding some camera to flex into after every lay-up - is so cheesy and contrived. I love raw-emotion, and yes the game is absolutely supposed to be fun. But c'mon, these are planned and unauthentic. Now, as I said in the opening, get off my  lawn.

If you want to see a good refd high school game. You should come out to GI the heartland hoops  game/s. When the big boys from out state come in and play, it is a well officiated game. 

Timing was terrible for us to try to go after Max Murrell. When he blew up, we had a new coach who had scrambled to fill a roster that ended up with only two seniors and two guys who were already committed for the 2020 class. We had no room.

This year's Millard North team might not be the best in state history, but they certainly have more high-level talent than any team has ever had. The '80 or '81 or '82 (too lazy to look it up) Creighton Prep team with Kerry Trotter and Vic Lazeretti had some top notch talent.

But Max Murrell is a Rivals 4-star top 100 recruit, Hunter is set to be a 5-star, and Jasen Green is at least a Rivals 150 kid, if not a top 100 talent himself. That's more top-tier talent than any Nebraska HS team has EVER had. Would have loved to have all three. Didn't get Murrell. Would be over the moon to get both of the other two.

And get off of @basketballjones lawn.

On 12/15/2019 at 10:23 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Timing was terrible for us to try to go after Max Murrell. When he blew up, we had a new coach who had scrambled to fill a roster that ended up with only two seniors and two guys who were already committed for the 2020 class. We had no room.

This year's Millard North team might not be the best in state history, but they certainly have more high-level talent than any team has ever had. The '80 or '81 or '82 (too lazy to look it up) Creighton Prep team with Kerry Trotter and Vic Lazeretti had some top notch talent.

But Max Murrell is a Rivals 4-star top 100 recruit, Hunter is set to be a 5-star, and Jasen Green is at least a Rivals 150 kid, if not a top 100 talent himself. That's more top-tier talent than any Nebraska HS team has EVER had. Would have loved to have all three. Didn't get Murrell. Would be over the moon to get both of the other two.

And get off of @basketballjones lawn.

That would be the 1981-82 season.  The class of '82 was loaded and probably had the most talent in the history of Nebraska high school basketball. That class had:

Trotter (Prep) to Marquette

Lazeretti (Prep) to Marquette

Kellogg (ONW) to Kansas

Jackman (Grant) to Duke then NU

Hoppen (Benson) to NU

Kofoed (Westside) to Kearney and then the NBA

Martz (Beatrice) to NU

Also another player from the Metro, I think Cooks was his name that went D1.

Funny side note that it was Lincoln Northeast that won state that year. (Most of their guys went on to Wesleyan to play)

The next year saw Hunter (O South) to Kansas and Joel Sealer (M South) to NU

Edited by Navin R. Johnson

9 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

That would be the 1981-82 season.  The class of '82 was loaded and probably had the most talent in the history of Nebraska high school basketball. That class had:

Trotter (Prep) to Marquette

Lazeretti (Prep) to Marquette

Kellogg (ONW) to Kansas

Jackman (Grant) to Duke then NU

Hoppen (Benson) to NU

Kofoed (Westside) to Kearney and then the NBA

Martz (Beatrice) to NU

Also another player from the Metro, I think Cooks was his name that went D1.

Funny side note that it was Lincoln Northeast that won state that year. (Most of their guys went on to Wesleyan to play)

The next year saw Hunter (O South) to Kansas and Joel Sealer (M South) to NU

James Moore from Burke went to NU, redshirted, played one season, and then I don't really know what happened to him.

Arthur Cooks went to Missouri Western, I believe.

Dana Jannsen was much better than Lazeratti.  Well, there were even two or three guys in Class D that were also better than him, although he did end up starting at Loyola Marymount.

https://www.theindependent.com/sports/local_sports/the-nebraska-high-school-basketball-all-state-project--/article_ab89dc0c-0929-11e5-a124-c7b59b581cfa.html

*1982 Super-State 1st Team

Kerry Trotter-Creighton Prep** - 6-5, Senior (26.2 ppg/8.9 rpg)

Ron Kellogg-Omaha Northwest** - 6-5, Senior (21.0 ppg/10.4 rpg)

Dave Hoppen-Omaha Benson* - 6-10, Senior (24.3 ppg/12.5 rpg)

Mike Martz-Beatrice* - 6-6, Senior (19.0 ppg/13.0 rpg)

Bill Jackman-Grant* - 6-9, Senior (29.8 ppg/12.0 rpg)

*Just how good was this group? Omaha World-Herald prep sports editor Stu Pospisil rated them as the best 5 of all time. Just look at what these 5 gentlemen accomplished after their high school days.

Hoppen set Nebraska's career scoring record; Trotter started three years at Marquette and Kellogg; Kellogg started two years at Kansas, including its 1986 Final Four team; Jackman played one year at Duke and three at NU; Martz lettered four years at NU. All were on the Nebraska Basketball Development Association summer team that finished fourth in a national tournament in Las Vegas.**
How does that grab you? Convinced yet?

*1982 Super-State 2nd Team

Dana Janssen-Lincoln Northeast - 6-7, Senior (15.0 ppg/10.0 rpg)

Bart Koefoed-Omaha Westside - 6-4, Senior (11.0 ppg/6.6 rpg)

Arthur Cooks-Omaha Tech - 6-2, Senior (23.0 ppg/9.2 rpg)

Ryne Seaman-Lincoln East - 6-4, Senior (19.5 ppg/8.0 rpg)

James Moore-Omaha Benson* - 6-7, Senior (17.8 ppg/9.9 rpg)

*Good grief, so strong was that first team, Koefoed couldn't even crack it. And Bart Koefoed went on to be a standout at both Kearney State college and Hastings College. Koefoed was selected as the 15th pick of the 5th round of the 1987 NBA draft by the Utah Jazz... (and after nearly 7 years in the NBA, Koefoed starred for the Omaha Racers when they won the CBA title in the mid-90s).

Source: https://www.theindependent.com/sports/local_sports/the-nebraska-high-school-basketball-all-state-project--/article_ab89dc0c-0929-11e5-a124-c7b59b581cfa.html

Edited by AuroranHusker

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

*1982 Super-State 1st Team

Kerry Trotter-Creighton Prep** - 6-5, Senior (26.2 ppg/8.9 rpg)

Ron Kellogg-Omaha Northwest** - 6-5, Senior (21.0 ppg/10.4 rpg)

Dave Hoppen-Omaha Benson* - 6-10, Senior (24.3 ppg/12.5 rpg)

Mike Martz-Beatrice* - 6-6, Senior (19.0 ppg/13.0 rpg)

Bill Jackman-Grant* - 6-9, Senior (29.8 ppg/12.0 rpg)

*Just how good was this group? Omaha World-Herald prep sports editor Stu Pospisil rated them as the best 5 of all time. Just look at what these 5 gentlemen accomplished after their high school days.

Hoppen set Nebraska's career scoring record; Trotter started three years at Marquette and Kellogg; Kellogg started two years at Kansas, including its 1986 Final Four team; Jackman played one year at Duke and three at NU; Martz lettered four years at NU. All were on the Nebraska Basketball Development Association summer team that finished fourth in a national tournament in Las Vegas.**
How does that grab you? Convinced yet?

*1982 Super-State 2nd Team

Dana Janssen-Lincoln Northeast - 6-7, Senior (15.0 ppg/10.0 rpg)

Bart Koefoed-Omaha Westside - 6-4, Senior (11.0 ppg/6.6 rpg)

Arthur Cooks-Omaha Tech - 6-2, Senior (23.0 ppg/9.2 rpg)

Ryne Seaman-Lincoln East - 6-4, Senior (19.5 ppg/8.0 rpg)

James Moore-Omaha Benson* - 6-7, Senior (17.8 ppg/9.9 rpg)

*Good grief, so strong was that first team, Koefoed couldn't even crack it. And Bart Koefoed went on to be a standout at both Kearney State college and Hastings College. Koefoed was selected as the 15th pick of the 5th round of the 1987 NBA draft by the Utah Jazz... (and after nearly 7 years in the NBA, Koefoed starred for the Omaha Racers when they won the CBA title in the mid-90s).

Source: https://www.theindependent.com/sports/local_sports/the-nebraska-high-school-basketball-all-state-project--/article_ab89dc0c-0929-11e5-a124-c7b59b581cfa.html

Superior played Beatrice when Martz was a Sophomore, but Class B All-State Captain Randy Edwards took it to him! Edwards played @ Hutch & Hastings College. He is related to Gary Bargan & Tony Hobson.

6 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The fourth instate D-1 team lost to Omaha North last night. Wal Chuol hung 28 and 11 on them.

Saw some highlights of that! Figured there was a chance of them getting upset a couple times this year - they’re not a “team” yet. They’re kinda victims of “too many tools can’t choose which one to use” issue right now. 

4 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Superior played Beatrice when Martz was a Sophomore, but Class B All-State Captain Randy Edwards took it to him! Edwards played @ Hutch & Hastings College. He is related to Gary Bargan & Tony Hobson.

As of a few years ago, Randy Edwards probably could have still strapped them on a played anyone/anywhere. Ageless athlete.