uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 10 - @ Indiana

uneblinstu

Tonight we looked like that team that nobody wants to play in February and March. The grit in our team was awesome to see. On the road in a hostile environment.

It’s pretty rare that I get upset with officiating, but I felt it favored the home team heavily tonight. 

Spacing, ball movement and player movement away from the ball was beautiful for most of the game. I honestly didn’t expect it to look that good at this point in the season. 

Some of our sets are like poetry in motion when we execute them as a cohesive unit. Add a pure shooter or two and some post depth and look out.

Our bigs bite on EVERY shot fake. But they’re freshman, so I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Defensive gameplan was spot on tonight. Purdue doesn’t shoot the three like Painter’s teams usually do, so I think we’ll see a similar defense on Sunday.

We have a great coaching staff.

Thor has earned his starting spot.  

The only thing I want to see change in the rotation is, just once for kicks, Akol for Kavas.  

Again, I really don’t think there has been much separating Easley from our other guards. I trust him out there on both ends.  I think he’s a better player than Curtis and don’t forget he can shoot the rock—not streaky, pure.  He’s also in the weight room—that kid is no punk.  

I like Jervay off the bench if he comes back.  

Hell of a game.  We just saw Fred’s (and Doc’s) system tonight, and it’s as good as any system in the country.  So fun to watch.  

6 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Kavas gives up so much on the defensive end, even if he knocked down a couple threes I’m not sure there’s a net gain with him in the game.

I posted in the game thread, but I just don’t think we’ll see it with Kavas this year.  I think the game (Big 10) is too fast for him.  I think our team plays too fast for him.  On defense, I think he struggles because he is slower.  His shot has been off this whole year.  That could be due to a mental set, or could be do to defenses being tougher?  I don’t know on that one.  What I do know is that, it seemed as though most IU runs yesterday came with him in the game in some form.  I remember a specific time late where we finally had the opportunity to sub Thor off for a breather and BAM, Kavas makes a mistake on D.  Right away Thor was our back in.

26 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I posted in the game thread, but I just don’t think we’ll see it with Kavas this year.  I think the game (Big 10) is too fast for him.  I think our team plays too fast for him.  On defense, I think he struggles because he is slower.  His shot has been off this whole year.  That could be due to a mental set, or could be do to defenses being tougher?  I don’t know on that one.  What I do know is that, it seemed as though most IU runs yesterday came with him in the game in some form.  I remember a specific time late where we finally had the opportunity to sub Thor off for a breather and BAM, Kavas makes a mistake on D.  Right away Thor was our back in.

He has shown he can guard the 5 somewhat when he isn’t being soft, but he was terrible boxing out last night.  At the very least, Akol is a better and more willing rebounder.  

The main difference between Kavas and everyone else last night is literally everyone else who came in played with their hair on fire.  If Akol is playing as hard in practice as Fred says he is, give him a few spot minutes.  

So I don't know enough about court spacing and positions in general, and more specifically in relation to Hoiberg's offense, but it seems Kavas rarely gets an open look on ball swings or a kick out.  Seems more often he is shooting his 3's from the elbows or the top of the key on a pick and pop, which often seem contested or forced.  Was expecting to see him set up in the corners more often, ala Cheatham or Thor, for open looks. 

Is he not finding the open space?  Is it because he plays the 5 or the 4? 

9 minutes ago, hal9000 said:

So I don't know enough about court spacing and positions in general, and more specifically in relation to Hoiberg's offense, but it seems Kavas rarely gets an open look on ball swings or a kick out.  Seems more often he is shooting his 3's from the elbows or the top of the key on a pick and pop, which often seem contested or forced.  Was expecting to see him set up in the corners more often, ala Cheatham or Thor, for open looks. 

Is he not finding the open space?  Is it because he plays the 5 or the 4? 

He’s usually the “4” which is the trailer in our transition offense. So he’s in the slot opposite the point guard. The point guard and the two wings are interchangeable (although we have a clear pg this year in Mack) and those wings have to be able to sprint up the court and either streak to the basket in primary break opportunities or get to the deep corner in secondary breaks. The wings also do a lot of backdoor cutting and second cutting in our sets, which requires quickness and the ability to finish around the rim. Kavas just isn’t athletic enough to play those spots.

13 hours ago, LK1 said:

Hell of a game.  We just saw Fred’s (and Doc’s) system tonight, and it’s as good as any system in the country.  So fun to watch.  

Not convinced Doc's system is going to work long-term. He's all about packing it in, limiting points in the paint, and making teams win by making a lot of 3s. Indiana isn't great at 3pt shooting (#209 in the nation at 32%) and they didn't buck that trend last night (5-25 for 20%). So in this particular match-up, it worked well.

Hopefully that continues throughout this season and the rest of Doc's tenure here, but I'm not willing to bet on it yet.

48 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Not convinced Doc's system is going to work long-term. He's all about packing it in, limiting points in the paint, and making teams win by making a lot of 3s. Indiana isn't great at 3pt shooting (#209 in the nation at 32%) and they didn't buck that trend last night (5-25 for 20%). So in this particular match-up, it worked well.

Hopefully that continues throughout this season and the rest of Doc's tenure here, but I'm not willing to bet on it yet.

There are plenty of good teams that run pack style defenses. I hope we can get enough length/speed to make it work for us.

Virginia does and they have one of the best defenses in Div-1 every year. However, Purdue lit them up this year

Not much to note on

-Cross struggled a bit today, which might happen a bit. We have to remember he's basically a 4 playing the 5. And he's still reshaping his body. 

-burke erupted. I love how active he is on defense. Gambles a lot. But he's quick enough to make up for it

-watching some of the stuff Fred was drawing up, it amazes me. He's an incredible coach. Even the simple stuff like dribbling towards a guy which signals to him to cut. It's amazing

-yvan looked good at times, and then he looked 17 at times. He was going against TJD (who looked incredible by the way. WOW) and for his first taste of big ten size I wasn't upset. Sure there's stuff he needs to work on. But he's 17 and I've noticed improvements from the first game to now. He's going to be good. 

-Thor is the calming factor. He's crafty and knows where to be at all times. 

Ready for tomorrow. Progress overall is all I'm looking for. And it's been that way to date

6 hours ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

I was speaking more in terms of energy and rotation.  They took a lot of contested threes and we were closing with a hand up with WAY better effort than any other game this season.  We played like one of Doc’s teams—pesky and fast.  

3 hours ago, thrasher31 said:

Even the simple stuff like dribbling towards a guy which signals to him to cut. It's amazing

Fred is an excellent X & O coach. The play to get Burke an open 3 to take us into over-time was executed to perfection. But we shouldn't get carried away. Nebraska ran dribble at action last year under Tim Miles. That's Pete Newell/Pete Carril stuff. You can probably find a bunch of elementary teams doing the same thing.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:26 PM, hhcmatt said:

Fred Hoiberg on the post game:

'I feel really good moving forward. I have some really good pieces in this group, some really good players sitting out, and on top of that we're going to get a really good recruiting class. Similar to the way we built it (at Iowa St)'

Really good recruiting class? Who does he have in mind? We have room for 3 guys. We had two committed. One decommitted and then signed with Lousiville and the other is waiting until spring to sign his LOI (but was at the game today.)

If Donovan doesn't end up signing (with us) in the spring, then, as of this moment, we have zero commits for 2020. So where's this "really good recruiting class" going to come from.

I mean, I hope he's right. He certainly knows more about what's up than I do.

29 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Really good recruiting class? Who does he have in mind? We have room for 3 guys. We had two committed. One decommitted and then signed with Lousiville and the other is waiting until spring to sign his LOI (but was at the game today.)

If Donovan doesn't end up signing (with us) in the spring, then, as of this moment, we have zero commits for 2020. So where's this "really good recruiting class" going to come from.

I mean, I hope he's right. He certainly knows more about what's up than I do.

I'd imagine Fred, Matt, et al have a good idea where they sit with certain talent, maybe even talented dude(s) who might want to stay (near) home. No insider info, just a gut feeling. I hope my gut is right.

Edited by AuroranHusker