Does it make me a bad person if ...

jayschool

Of course, I will watch and even attend as many Husker games as possible this year, and as each approaches, I will root my damnedest for this team to win.

However 

Does it make me a bad person if I secretly harbor a fantasy that this team finishes something like 5-27, 0-20 in the conference?

My reasoning is that when we get to the Sweet Sixteen in 2021 and the Final Four in 2022, I'll never get tired of hearing "Just look at how far this team has come in a year/two years. This could possibly be the greatest comeback story in the history of college basketball!"

giphy.gif

Edited by jayschool

1 hour ago, jayschool said:

Of course, I will watch and even attend as many Husker games as possible this year, and as each approaches, I will root my damnedest for this team to win.

However 

Does it make me a bad person if I secretly harbor a fantasy that this team finishes something like 5-27, 0-20 in the conference?

My reasoning is that when we get to the Sweet Sixteen in 2021 and the Final Four in 2022, I'll never get tired of hearing "Just look at how far this team has come in a year/two years. This could possibly be the greatest comeback story in the history of college basketball!"

giphy.gif

I just want us to win 2 more games. You know how, in baseball, you have the Mendoza line? For me, in basketball, it's the Rick Johnson line. I want to be able to say, as bad as it ever was for us, it was never as bad as those guys.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I just want us to win 2 more games. You know how, in baseball, you have the Mendoza line? For me, in basketball, it's the Rick Johnson line. I want to be able to say, as bad as it ever was for us, it was never as bad as those guys.

Even Kevin Stallings won eight when the Pitt Panthers went winless in the ACC a couple of years ago.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Johnson actually won 9, 8 and 7 games in his three years in Hell. Altman won 7 in his first season at the same school.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

KenPom still says 9, so I think we can still get there as long as the guys don't completely check out in January/February:

Projected record: 9-22 3-17  
Chance of unbeaten record:   0.00%  
Chance of winless record:   2.6%

I just get a chuckle over Sip...he's like lets give the football team the benefit of the doubt but he's also like how much longer can husker fans deal with the way the basketball team is playing.  honestly. A good number of husker fans (included the jayskers) thought that Frost was going to be the second coming.  Yet a good number of us thought that the basketball team would struggle this year.  They are proving that.  I respect Sip...but honestly with stuff like that he's stirring a pot that doesn't need stirring. 

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

I just get a chuckle over Sip...he's like lets give the football team the benefit of the doubt but he's also like how much longer can husker fans deal with the way the basketball team is playing.  honestly. A good number of husker fans (included the jayskers) thought that Frost was going to be the second coming.  Yet a good number of us thought that the basketball team would struggle this year.  They are proving that.  I respect Sip...but honestly with stuff like that he's stirring a pot that doesn't need stirring. 

Might have learned it from Dirky and his click bait crap.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

It would seem the point that Sipple was trying to make was 'how many bad losses can you take this season before you stop caring about the team until next year' and conveyed this poorly enough that no one understood it this way.

If that is what his message was and everyone else interpreted it a different way, that would indicate to me he didn't make his point very well.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

It would seem the point that Sipple was trying to make was 'how many bad losses can you take this season before you stop caring about the team until next year' and conveyed this poorly enough that no one understood it this way.

Yer spot on Matt, most “Husker Fans” have tuned out the Basketball team before the season even starts. That article was directed to the people on this board & how many of these gut punches can WE take before we tune out. Since many/most of us were weaned on 7th or 8th place finishes in the Big 8, he grossly underestimates our level of masochism... We’re in it for the long haul regardless, but an 0-fer in Conference is almost unthinkable, there’s too many other bad teams.

I have to admit that I find myself not nearly as focused this year. I’ll watch when I can, read up on stuff and generally pay attention. But...in the past I would schedule stuff around watching NU hoops. This year, if I have something else to do, NU hoops may take a back seat. Call me a bad fan or whatever, but I am a bit burned out on Men’s Cornhusker athletics at this point. 

Not ashamed to say I'm there already.  I shut it down emotionally after the Southern game.  I am fully in year #0 mode now, just looking for guys to make incremental improvement.

I'm not saying they can't get me back this year, but I am not going to get mad/frustrated if they don't.

Edited by 49r

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Not ashamed to say I'm there already.  I shut it down emotionally after the Southern game.  I am fully in year #0 mode now, just looking for guys to make incremental improvement.

I'm not saying they can't get me back, but I am not going to get mad/frustrated if they don't.

That’s pretty much where I am as well. 

4 hours ago, colhusker said:

Might have learned it from Dirky and his click bait crap.

Dirk cites facts and is a realist.  People get pissed cause they dont want to live in reality.  Neither works for the univ either and sips point was taken out of context.  I enjoy reading both of them.  Keeps me level.  

19 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Honest question:. why does being a realist always seem to be negative?

Like if I am a Ohio State fan being a realist would mean that my team is going to win it all correct?

But what if I think we are going to lose to LSU in the final, does that mean I am not a realist?

Depends on what it's the final of.  😉