Cam Mack and the reason I hate Twitter

Ok, I don’t hate Twitter. Fans tweeting and venting is part of the deal. Now, let me say, this isn’t to start a rumor. But i did find it both alarming and very note worthy to us diehards that Cam Mack’s mom is replying to fans tweets from the CU game and tweeted a picture of his son: “I wish that Cam had waited....God is still in control....”

she also uses the hashtag #staytuned to a bunch of replies to fans. The general tone of her replies is she’s obviously frustrated and even addresses the benching because of being one minute late for the bus.  Again, I’m not saying we’re gonna get a press release like Samari’s, but she’s pretty upset and you know she’s talking to Cam.

lets hope emotions have calmed down, most of her tweets and replies happened around 3am Central time...

Whatever happens, happens.   

We need a team that has chemistry, and I worry a bit that this team is lacking in that category.  Supporting evidence includes the necessity of an early season team meeting in the Caymans and the recent player departure.   

I am not saying that this is Cam's fault whatsoever.  But i do get the sense that the players and staff are not all on the same page.

Nothing surprises me these days.  But I do believe the roster will look different again next season.

2 hours ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Ok, I don’t hate Twitter. Fans tweeting and venting is part of the deal. Now, let me say, this isn’t to start a rumor. But i did find it both alarming and very note worthy to us diehards that Cam Mack’s mom is replying to fans tweets from the CU game and tweeted a picture of his son: “I wish that Cam had waited....God is still in control....”

she also uses the hashtag #staytuned to a bunch of replies to fans. The general tone of her replies is she’s obviously frustrated and even addresses the benching because of being one minute late for the bus.  Again, I’m not saying we’re gonna get a press release like Samari’s, but she’s pretty upset and you know she’s talking to Cam.

lets hope emotions have calmed down, most of her tweets and replies happened around 3am Central time...

That is... disappointing.  She’s even replying directly to guys like Robin W.  She’s talking down to the rest of the team like Cam is the biggest thing to Nebraska basketball since... ever.  My goodness, I had to stop.  Accountability.  Everyone should learn it.

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Whatever happens, happens.   

We need a team that has chemistry, and I worry a bit that this team is lacking in that category.  Supporting evidence includes the necessity of an early season team meeting in the Caymans and the recent player departure.   

I am not saying that this is Cam's fault whatsoever.  But i do get the sense that the players and staff are not all on the same page.

Nothing surprises me these days.  But I do believe the roster will look different again next season.

I agree the roster will look different. But I would be very disappointed if the staff and Cam can’t get on the same page and he ends up leaving...

2 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

That is... disappointing.  She’s even replying directly to guys like Robin W.  She’s talking down to the rest of the team like Cam is the biggest thing to Nebraska basketball since... ever.  My goodness, I had to stop.  Accountability.  Everyone should learn it.

Her retweeting a fan “Cam Mack would be averaging 15 assists a game if his teammates could hit half of their layups from his passes”  is telling...

But I’m most alarmed with her using the eye roll emoji a lot and the #staytuned hashtag...maybe we will get an announcement this afternoon...

15 minutes ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

I agree the roster will look different. But I would be very disappointed if the staff and Cam can’t get on the same page and he ends up leaving...

Sometimes there’s only so much you can do. I know the word “culture” is probably overused, but it truly does matter in college athletic programs. If Cam doesn’t adjust his attitude (he’s almost 22 years old and has been in numerous programs now) then we may be better off without him. He’s a good player, but he’s not the savior of Nebraska basketball.

Edited by millerhusker

13 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Can’t find it... but didn’t someone post that he “only wanted to be here for a year” anyways?

For a reference point, he's three months younger than Roby.  I think it's safe to say that he's prioritizing basketball over academics - and with his obvious talent that's not a terrible thing in his case - the chances of him playing here for three years is nearly zero.  And apparently next year is looking unlikely.

If he's gone then Banton moves to the point next year, I'd think.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

I can promise if there’s a coaching staff that won’t back down on its own principles, it’s this one.  As a player, you’ll either man up during your time with Fred and Doc, or you’ll wimp out.  Time will tell who the real ones are.  I’m hoping Cam is able to mature into a leader under this staff despite what appears to be an Oedipal upbringing.  

18 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

If he's gone then Banton moves to the point next year, I'd think.

My thoughts, as well. 

On Husker Sports Nightly a few weeks ago Hoiberg said the offense we’re running this year is basically the one he ran with Royce White as point guard (as opposed to the one with Monte Morris as point guard) and went on to say that Dalano has picked up the offense better than anyone thus far. However, our Royce White is in street clothes this year. It’s almost like we’re gearing up for next year already.

32 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

Two things I have learned from watching, coaching, and playing basketball games at all levels for decades are that losing is no fun for anyone associated with a team and that all parents think their child is not being correctly utilized by the coach. 

The parent thing has gotten worse with the evolution of traveling sports teams.  When they started, only the elite kids did them, now most kids do and many parents think well my kid has to be great he's on a traveling team.