uneblinstu's postgame chatter: vol 12; ed 9 - at Creighton

uneblinstu

I really like Sip and I enjoy much of his work, but this article was too much, too soon.  Get a grip on reality Sip. 

And oh by the way, if the expectation for Scott and the football team, by our AD, was 6 wins this past season, the expectation for this BB team this year should be less than 10 wins.   

13 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I really like Sip and I enjoy much of his work, but this article was too much, too soon.  Get a grip on reality Sip. 

And oh by the way, if the expectation for Scott and the football team, by our AD, was 6 wins this past season, the expectation for this BB team this year should be less than 10 wins.   

What happens when the team doesn't even meet that expectation? Sign them up for a 2 year contract extension?

(All in jest.)

14 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

I don’t think we should ever expect less than 10 wins.  Down years and rebuilding years?  Sure... but never should that consist of less than 10 wins.

55 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I don’t think we should ever expect less than 10 wins.  Down years and rebuilding years?  Sure... but never should that consist of less than 10 wins.

If 8 wins this season was the precursor to a NCAA Tournament win in 2022 - I could care less. I don't think the difference between 8 wins and 12 wins this season will be a factor 2 years from now when Hoiberg has this rolling.

16 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

If 8 wins this season was the precursor to a NCAA Tournament win in 2022 - I could care less. I don't think the difference between 8 wins and 12 wins this season will be a factor 2 years from now when Hoiberg has this rolling.

I’d trade that too... I’m just saying... that should never be an expectation.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Tom Crean won only 6 games in his first season at Indiana, then 10 and then 12 games.

Then he got a 4 seed and a 1 seed in the years after that.

All we need to do now I guess is find our own Cody Zeller.

If you take away the numerous blown shots/layups etc from the first half I felt it really boiled down to Creighton selling out to get back on defense and us not putting in the effort to do so. I know I can find this in the 2nd half when we called two timeouts in under a minute.  Yvan and Cross combined for 7 minutes in the 2nd half. Was that because Bishop wasn't playing due to foul trouble? Us trying to catch up? Effort?

Chris Heady’s Article today in the Omaha World Herald says that Hoiberg tried, and found, something new: he put Kavas at Center for 19 minutes, instead of the two freshmen.   Here’s a quote: “in those 19 minutes, against Creighton starters, Nebraska was plus-5 over the Jays.”  With the two freshmen on the floor, “the Huskers were minus-26.”

”With Kavas . . . things change.”  In the second half, the Huskers “drove and kicked, shooting better than 60%.”  With Kavas in the game, the Huskers “scored exclusively off 3-pointers and layups, precisely what NU wants.”

Numbers with and without Kavas vs Creighton (not counting with Arop/Easley were on the court)

P/100 Adj P/100   eFG% TO% ORB% FTR   3PR 2PR mid 2PR rim   3P% 2P% 2P% mid 2P% rim   Poss SoS
'On' Offense   106.8 110.9   51.4 13.6 24.0 43.2   45.9 13.5 40.5   35.3 50.0 60.0 46.7   44 112.3
'On' Defense   127.3 113.3   67.1 22.7 27.8 34.3   48.6 20.0 31.4   52.9 55.6 57.1 54.5   44 96.3

'Off' Offense   59.3 61.5   34.1 18.5 5.9 18.2   31.8 40.9 27.3   14.3 40.0 11.1 83.3   27 112.3
'Off' Defense   125.0 111.3   69.6 14.3 0.0 13.0   39.1 30.4 30.4   44.4 71.4 57.1 85.7   28 96.3

'Baseline' Offense   88.7 92.1   44.9 15.5 16.7 33.9   40.7 23.7 35.6   29.2 45.7 28.6 57.1   71 112.3
'Baseline' Defense   126.4 112.5   68.1 19.4 18.5 25.9   44.8 24.1 31.0   50.0 62.5 57.1 66.7   72 96.3

Hoiberg has rolled this out before but I don't know if we've ever played a team like the Jays where they didn't really have a center.  

What does a lineup with Kavas at center do against a team like Indiana that rolls out frontline consisting of 6'9"+ 245+ dudes? The hope would have to be that we outscore it because they most likely eat us alive inside.

On 12/7/2019 at 7:03 PM, 49r said:

...this is supposedly Pat Chambers' best team and best shot at finally breaking the NCAA tournament drought and they just went in and got straight WORKED by Ohio State.

This post didn't age well.

But it just goes to show how scary good Ohio State appears to be right now.  Wow.

I'm a few days late on this but...

For those of you that went to the game, did you catch the little bowling stunt by Billy BlueJay during a media timeout later in the second half?

So Billy Bluejay lays on a scooter at halfcourt and there are giant bowling pins set up under one of the baskets...pretty standard mascot stunt right?  WRONG

So the Krayton Krazies (or whatever you call those students in stripes) push and hold him all the way through the pins to the baseline, at this point this is probably the lamest stunt I've ever seen at a D1 basketball game... little did we know it was all a setup!

As the crowd looks on in ambivalence, the PA announcer says something to the tune of, "Way to go Billy Bluejay!  One of the best mascots in D1 athletics!  He sure does love his bowling - at least someone around here is going BOWLING"

The Jayskers and vests have no idea how to react, do they boo?  do they cheer?  Do they yell, "go back to your shanties!" at the people in red one more time?  So the whole crowd just settles in a surprised "ohhhhh"

It honestly was the highlight of the game for me.  Unfortunately not many people were left to witness it.   I just love that they set up those whole stupid stunt just so they could use the bowling punchline.  Bravo Jays!

5 hours ago, Mr. Red said:

For those of you that went to the game, did you catch the little bowling stunt by Billy BlueJay during a media timeout later in the second half?

So Billy Bluejay lays on a scooter at halfcourt and there are giant bowling pins set up under one of the baskets...pretty standard mascot stunt right?  WRONG

So the Krayton Krazies (or whatever you call those students in stripes) push and hold him all the way through the pins to the baseline, at this point this is probably the lamest stunt I've ever seen at a D1 basketball game... little did we know it was all a setup!

As the crowd looks on in ambivalence, the PA announcer says something to the tune of, "Way to go Billy Bluejay!  One of the best mascots in D1 athletics!  He sure does love his bowling - at least someone around here is going BOWLING"

The Jayskers and vests have no idea how to react, do they boo?  do they cheer?  Do they yell, "go back to your shanties!" at the people in red one more time?  So the whole crowd just settles in a surprised "ohhhhh"

It honestly was the highlight of the game for me.  Unfortunately not many people were left to witness it.   I just love that they set up those whole stupid stunt just so they could use the bowling punchline.  Bravo Jays!

But our Women's bowling team is currently 3rd in the nation. (I think). and once again a sport not played by the blue clad asshats.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, Swan88 said:

Chris Heady’s Article today in the Omaha World Herald says that Hoiberg tried, and found, something new: he put Kavas at Center for 19 minutes, instead of the two freshmen.   Here’s a quote: “in those 19 minutes, against Creighton starters, Nebraska was plus-5 over the Jays.”  With the two freshmen on the floor, “the Huskers were minus-26.”

”With Kavas . . . things change.”  In the second half, the Huskers “drove and kicked, shooting better than 60%.”  With Kavas in the game, the Huskers “scored exclusively off 3-pointers and layups, precisely what NU wants.”

This is what I was saying after game 1–that the only position Kavas is quick enough to guard is the 5 and that he might be able to make them pay on the other end by stretching the court.  Maybe we could put Kavas there permanentlyand move Cross to the 4 where he belongs. 

Edited by LK1

22 hours ago, Mr. Red said:

I was there when they said this and laughed. I honestly couldn't believe how triggered some of our fans were on social media after this happened. Sometimes our fan base just needs to lighten up.