Nebraska (4-4) vs. Creighton (6-1) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

25 minutes ago, khoock said:

First, name me a team where not two players on a 16 man roster have played a single minute of collegiate basketball together (ill wait)... then we can discuss if said team would or would not fall behind to Creighton by 30.

Teams have roster turnover, that's NCAA basketball in 2019, but after a trip to Italy and eight games of the season, blaming 30 point deficits on newness is disingenuous, It's lack of talent, lack of effort, lack of strategy.

5 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

Teams have roster turnover, that's NCAA basketball in 2019, but after a trip to Italy and eight games of the season, blaming 30 point deficits on newness is disingenuous, It's lack of talent, lack of effort, lack of strategy.

Yup. 

Simply put, we’re bad. 

2 minutes ago, hhcscott said:

Overlooking the extent of our roster turnover and chalking it up to "thats just NCAA basketball in 2019" is also a little disingenuous, dont you think?

Creighton fielded the more talented team and also fielded the more experienced team. They also brought an effort/intensity that was unmatched by any of our players. I think part of the reason that is, is because their players were here last year and experienced the embarassing L we gave them, while none of our players or coaches (sans Thor and Armon Gates) were. 

With context, I dont think what happened today is terribly shocking. 

5 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Look I hate Creighton as much as the next guy, but they beat Texas Tech and played Michigan tough - it's not far fetched to say they'll be dancing. 

They're also adding another scoring punch at semester. They probably get their 20 or so wins and 0-1 tourney wins

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

He probably should have gotten more time from the get-go which would have probably changed the attitude a little bit.  

Pouting your way into the lineup isn't going to cut it at this school nor should it. If Arop or Easley end up in the rotation it will because they earned their way in

2 minutes ago, khoock said:

Overlooking the extent of our roster turnover and chalking it up to "thats just NCAA basketball in 2019" is also a little disingenuous, dont you think?

Creighton fielded the more talented team and also fielded the more experienced team. They also brought an effort/intensity that was unmatched by any of our players. I think part of the reason that is, is because their players were here last year and experienced the embarassing L we gave them, while none of our players or coaches (sans Thor and Armon Gates) were. 

With context, I dont think what happened today is terribly shocking. 

I think we need to start expecting more of our guys.  Not saying we should expect 20 wins or even that we should have expected them to win today.  However we have to expect them to shoot better, play hard the whole game, not fall behind by 30,  ect. 

We can’t just sit back the ENTIRE year and say “well we haven’t played together that much, well it’s year one, etc.

I don’t think it’s right to let the players or Fred off the hook for losses like we saw in our first two games or for being behind 40-9.

3 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Pouting your way into the lineup isn't going to cut it at this school nor should it. If Arop or Easley end up in the rotation it will because they earned their way in

Not saying it should... but more PT should have been given IMO.  However I don’t know what goes on behind closed doors either.

16 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think we need to start expecting more of our guys.  Not saying we should expect 20 wins or even that we should have expected them to win today.  However we have to expect them to shoot better, play hard the whole game, not fall behind by 30,  ect. 

We can’t just sit back the ENTIRE year and say “well we haven’t played together that much, well it’s year one, etc.

I don’t think it’s right to let the players or Fred off the hook for losses like we saw in our first two games or for being behind 40-9.

I agree. If we lose either of our games against North Dakota or Corpus Christi i will be irrate. If we start off the Purdue and Indiana games like we did today I will be pissed off. 

This team has shown us it can improve and Hoiberg has already shown us he can make adjustments. They will improve against higher level competition the more experience they get against it imo. I think they got another eye opener today (like they did the first two games). I dont expect this performance to be a reoccurring theme.

I guess my expectations for this season were just to watch it unfold and see improvement individually and collectively.

This team showed us the very first game that they were not very good (even against poor competition). But then they showed us improvement against that level of competition. Today they showed us that against bubble teams or better, we do not belong on the same court. Now show me your better than that. Put some scares into these better teams and make em sweat a little. Maybe burst a bubble or two. If I see that (which I think we will) i will be satisfied. 

Now next year, my expectations completely change.